About Jedediah Fitch
Jedidiah Fitch was born on 17 Apr 1681, Norwich, New London Co., CT [882,1506,1507] and died on 20 Nov 1756, Nantucket, Nantucket Cty, MA [882,1507]
Parents: Maj. James Fitch (1649-1727) and Elizabeth Mason (1654-1684)
Jedediah Fitch moved to Nantucket about 1706 and married Abigail Coffin, the daughter of Peter Coffin and Elizabeth Starbuck. Through her, their descendants are related in some fashion to virtually everyone of importance in early Nantucket history.
- on 13 Sep 1701, Newbury, Essex Co., MA [882,1507,878] to Abigail Coffin (1683-1736) , daughter of Peter Coffin (1660-1699) and Elizabeth Starbuck (1665-)
- Peter Fitch was born in 1706. He married Rachel Chase on February 18, 1731/32. Rachel was a daughter of James and Rachel Chase. He died January 21, 1793 and she died March 23, 1801. Their children were: Peter who married Anna Gardner, Rachel who married Joseph Glazier, Seth who died as a child, Benjamin who married Anna Osborne, Abigail who married Thomas Gwinn, Ebenezer who married Abigail Gardner, Sally who married Samuel Palmer and later Samuel Osborn and Latham Barker, James who married Judith Bunker and Coffin who was single and died at sea.
- Mary Fitch was born on August 22, 1708. She married Thomas Bailey on June 5, 1729. She died April 21, 1794.
- Elizabeth Fitch was born in 1703. She was married to Ebenezer Calfe (Calif) on June 8, 1722 and she died on July 22, 1777.
- Beriah Fitch was born on Nantucket on October 30, 1713. He married Deborah Gorham on December 11, 1735 and died on May 4, 1785.
the most troublesome of the family to figure out
Jedidiah Fitch was the eldest surviving son of Major James Fitch and Elizabeth Mason Fitch. He is the most troublesome of the family to figure out. All his brothers were soldiers fighting Indians and such. As a young teenager, Jed moved to the north shore of Massachusetts and settled in Newbury, and then later went to Nantucket Island off the coast of Massachusetts. Nantucket was a Quaker colony at the time and in 1701 he married into an established Quaker family. His father had been quite friendly with the local Indians, the Mohegans and Pequots, yet fought against other tribes. Perhaps Jedediah became a pacifist and wanted no part of fighting the Indians he grew up with and so left for Nantucket. Perhaps he simply wanted to go to sea. (Pullman)
Notes for Jedidiah Fitch
- He was said to "res. Canterbury, Windham Co., CT, rem. abt. 1706-7, Nantucket, Nantucket Co., MA; res. Sherborn, Nantucket." 882
- He "was living at Nantucket in 1736."1506
- "Nantucket Marriages: FITCH, Jedediah of Norwich, rsident in Newbury, and Mrs. Abigail Coffin of N., resident in Newbury Sept. 13, 1701, in Newbury. [Intention not recorded]. [Jedediah, '1st of Nantucket, From Norwich, Conn.,' and Abigail Coffin, d. Peter and Elizabeth 9Starbuck), 13th, 9 mo., P.R. 38.] " 878
- "In 1724 and 1725 Ebenezer Gardner, Jedediah and Abigail Fitch, and Jemima Coffin, unm., all of Sherburn, deeded thirds of 100 a. given by 'our grandf. to our f.' Peter C. in 1696." 850
- "Barbour adds, 'In Canterbury he is credited with wife Elizabeth, but this is believed to be an error.' AF, Vol. 1, p. 107, says, without attribution, he 'm. Elizabeth _____.' " 882
- "In a list of livestock earmarks recorded by the proprietors of Sherborn on Nantucket, Jedediah's are described as 'a Crop in Each Ear & a half penny over the left.' His on Beriah's marks were the same except for the addition of a half penny over the right ear as well. On 22 Jun. 1789, 'The Ear Mark that Was formerly Jedediah Fiches is now Transfered to George Larrance and ordered to be Recorded to him...' "882
- In Nantucket Deaths, he is listed:" Jedediah, '1st of Nantucket, From Norwich, Conn.,' h. Abigail (Coffin), 20th, 11 mo., 1756, P.R. 38. [Jedidah, P.R. 63]. " 872
"Will of Jedediah Fitch, Will Book , p. 280, Nantucket Probate Court
I Jedediah Fitch of Sherborn in the County of Nantucket in the Province of the Massachusetts Bay in New England, yeoman, being weak of body but of sound mind and memory and knowing that it is appointed unto all men once to die do make and ordain my last will and testament in manner and form, following: Imprimis, I commit my soul into the hands of Almighty God and my body to be buried at the discretion of my executors hereafter named.
Item I give and bequeath unto my four children, namely Elizabeth Calef, Peter Fitch, Mary Baily and Beriah Fitch, all my whole estate which I have both in possession and reversion both real and personal which I have owing comming and belonging unto me by any ways or means whatsoever both in the province of the Massachusetts Bay in New England and in the Colony of Connecticut in New England aforesaid or elsewhere where ever it may be found. Equally to be divided between them not prefering one before the other to have and to hold the same in severalty to them and their heirs forever
And lastly I appoint my Son in Law Ebenezer Calef, Esq. and my son Beriah Fitch executors jointly of this my last will and testament for witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this eleventh day of June in the twenty seventh year of the reign of George the Second of Great Britain, etc. King Annoque Domini 1754 Signed sealed published and declared by the said Jedidiah Fitch to be his last will in the presence of us Andrew Gardner, George Gardner, John Brock Jedediah Fitch, Nantucket, ss. Sherborn, March the 7th in the year of our Lord 1757
At a probate court held this day the aforenamed Andrew Gardner and George Gardner appeared in court and made oath that they saw Jedediah Fitch the testator sign and seal this will that they heard him declare this will to be his last will and at that time he was of a disposing mind according to the best of their judgment and that John Brock, the other witness, was present and signed for a witness with them Frederick Folger, Regr. Jeremiah Gardner Judge"1503
- 878. Vital Records of Nantucket, Nantucket Co., MA to the end of the year 1850, (Boston: New England Genealogical Society, 1927), Vol. 3: Marriages A - G.
- 882. John T. Fitch, Descendants of the Reverend James Fitch 1622-1702, (Camden, ME: Picton Press, 1996, Vol. 1.
- 1506. Reuben H. Walworth, "Addenda to Mason Family," New England Historical & Genealogical Register, Vol. 17, No. 1, (January, 1863).
- 1507. Haskell Venard, "The Family of Major James Fitch of Norwich and Canterbury, Conn.," The American Genealogist, Vol. 46, No. 1, January, 1970.
Jedediah Fitch's Timeline
April 17, 1681
Norwich, New London County, Connecticut Colony, (Present USA)
July 28, 1705
August 22, 1708
August 30, 1713
Nantucket, Nantucket, Massachusetts, USA
November 20, 1756
Nantucket Island, Nantucket County, Province of Massachusetts, (Present USA)