Hebrew: ירמיהו .
|Death:||Died in Memphis, Egypt|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Jeremiah the Prophet
Jeremiah had no wife and no children at all! That Jeremiah from Libna was differend Jeremiah.
Jeremiah was born about 457 BCE in the city of Libna. Libna is situated in the south of Judah & in the district of Eleutheropolis. It is probably the Libnah in the neighborhood of which the Israelites encamped. Died about 496 BC. Now Tell Defenneh (Suez Canal). He met a martyr's death being stoned to death by the Jews, who resented his faithful reproofs.
Various Talmudic references to him add the following information (not necessarily factual):
- Yoma 69b
- Use of language of "HaNora" in Prayer:
- Baba Kama 16b:
- He was suspected of adultery or of being with a prostitute.
- Prayed that G-d not allow his accusers to be rewarded for their attempted good deeds.
- Moed Katan:
- 26a - King Yehoyakim challenging, and then burning, the Book of "Eichah" when Jeremiah sent it to him as a warning:
- 28b - Saved by Tzidkiyah from clay pits
- Megillah 14b
- Jeremiah was related to the prophetess, Chuldah.
- Yoshiyah's choice of Chuldah over Jeremiah .
- Jeremiah 's trip across the Sabation River to try bringing back the 10 Tribes.
- Makkot 24a
- Moses prophesied that the Jews would not find rest in exile; Jeremiah came along and said, "Gd will provide them with rest in their exile".
- Eruvin 21a-b
- Jeremiah's prophecy of two pots filled with figs, representing the perfectly good and the perfectly bad, and the hope which remains for those who are perfectly bad.