About Jeremiah / ירמיהו ., HaNavi
Jeremiah was born about 457 BCE in the city of Libna. Libna is situated in the south of Judah & in the district of Eleutheropolis. It is probably the Libnah in the neighborhood of which the Israelites encamped. Died about 496 BC. Now Tell Defenneh (Suez Canal). He met a martyr's death being stoned to death by the Jews, who resented his faithful reproofs.
Various Talmudic references to him add the following information (not necessarily factual):
- Yoma 69b
- Use of language of "HaNora" in Prayer:
- Baba Kama 16b:
- He was suspected of adultery or of being with a prostitute.
- Prayed that G-d not allow his accusers to be rewarded for their attempted good deeds.
- Moed Katan:
- 26a - King Yehoyakim challenging, and then burning, the Book of "Eichah" when Jeremiah sent it to him as a warning:
- 28b - Saved by Tzidkiyah from clay pits
- Megillah 14b
- Jeremiah was related to the prophetess, Chuldah.
- Yoshiyah's choice of Chuldah over Jeremiah .
- Jeremiah 's trip across the Sabation River to try bringing back the 10 Tribes.
- Makkot 24a
- Moses prophesied that the Jews would not find rest in exile; Jeremiah came along and said, "Gd will provide them with rest in their exile".
- Eruvin 21a-b
- Jeremiah's prophecy of two pots filled with figs, representing the perfectly good and the perfectly bad, and the hope which remains for those who are perfectly bad.
Jeremiah the Prophet / ירמיהו הנביא's Timeline
2 Kings 24:18