Joan's Top Matches
view all 14
About Joan Fauntleroy (Stourton)
- Tristram Fauntleroy
- Tristram was born about 1470 in Mitchell's Marsh, Dorset, England. Tristram's father was John Fauntleroy and his mother was Joan le Waleys. He had a sister named Agnes. He was the younger of the two children. He died about 1539. He was buried in Michel Marsh Church, Hants, England.
- General Notes
- He lived in Michelmarsh Manor House, and was educated at Oxford "Master of Chancery" (Doctor of Law).
- Tristram's father was John Fauntleroy. His mother was either John's first wife, Joan le Waleys, or John's second wife, Elizabeth Wadham.
- Henry VII restored the Haudois estate on the Isle of Jersey to Tristram's father John Fauntleroy as heir and next of kin to Geoffrey Le Waleys who was killed in the battle of Barnet in 1471.
- From Helen Sherman:
- 'My cousin sent me a copy of "The Fauntleroy Family" by Robert H. Fauntleroy in which he states, "During the restoration of Michelmarsh Church about 1896, two stone slabs were discovered which came from the tomb of Tristram Fauntleroy,... One of them shows his Fauntelroy coat of arms impaling that of Holt. This clearly proves that Tristram married a Holt, and not Joan Stourton, as has been stated in some accounts of the family." He goes on to say that Joan Holt was the daughter of John Holt, widow of Thomas Villiers. Tristram Fauntleroy & Joan Holt had two sons, Bryan and John.
- 'I don't know whether this clearly proves anything, and it would certainly be reasonable for Tristram to marry twice, and even have more offspring. No birth dates from either Bryan or John given either...
- Incidentally, there is a wonderful picture of Tristram Fauntleroy from a stained glass window at Michelmarsh Church. When I told my brother that it was his 11th g.grandfather, he said, "I thought there was a family resemblance." !!! Oh, my!!
- His will is dated 25 July 1539.
- Tristram's first family
- ' Tristram and Joan were married. They had two sons named Bryan and John.
- 'Some prominent Virginia families (1907)
- FAUNTLEROY FAMILY.
- Faunleroy coat-of-arms is described :
- On a wreath of the same colour, a fleur-de-lis ar. between two angels' wings, displayed azure. Shields three infants' heads coupled, argent, cringed or.
- Motto: "Enfant du sor."
- The first known of the name of Fauntleroy was living in Dorset, England, in 1721. An undying tradition ascribes the paternity of the family to John, King of Frances, who was a captive at Windsor Castle, from 1356 to 1364, by a morganatic marriage with Catherine Grandeson, Countess of Salisbury, a member of the Courtenay family.
- The first from whom an unbroken line was traced was John Fauntleroy, who married Joanna Whalley, of Purbick. Issue :
- I. John Fauntleroy2. Married Elizabeth Wadham.
- II. William Fauntleroy2, D. D., of Oxford.
- III. Elizabeth Fauntleroy2, Abbess of Almsbury.
- IV. Agnes Fauntleroy2. Married Lord Stourton.
- ' V. Tristam Fauntleroy2. Married Joan, daughter of William, second Lord Stourton. His will was dated 1639. By the marriage of Tustam Fauntleroy and Joan Stourton, the family descends from the titled families of Stourton and Berkeley, as follows : . . . .
- THIS AREA HERE I THINK IS REALLY MEANT TO BE SEPARATE GENERATIONS AS ALICE BERKELEY WHO MARRIED RALPH DE STOURTON IN 1300 WOULD NOT HAVE ISSUE JOAN STOURTON WHO MARRIED TRISTAM FAUNTLEROY IN 1539. WHICH PUTS IN QUESTION THE CHILDREN LISTED FOR JOAN & TRISTAM.
- I. Thomas Berkeley, first Lord, who married, 1264, Joan Ferras, daughter of William de Ferras, Earl of Derby. Their daughter, Alice, married Ralph de Stourton, in 1300. Issue :
- I. William de Stourton. Married Joan, daughter of Sir William Vernon.
- II. John Stourton. Married a daughter of Lord Bassett.
- III. William Stourton. Married Elizabeth Moigne, in 1402, daughter of Sir John Moigne. (Sir John was created baron, 1448 ; married Margarite, daughter of Sir John Wadham.)
- IV. William Stourton. Married Margaret Chiddock, daughter of Sir John Chiddock.
- ' V. Joan Stourton. Married Tristam Fauntleroy, in 1539. Issue :
- I. John Fauntleroy, of Crondall, d. 1598. Married ____ .
- II. William Fauntleroy, d. 1625. Married Frances ____ .
- III. John Fauntleroy. Married Phoebe Wilkinson, in 1609.
- IV. Moore Fauntleroy, came to Virginia in 1642, built Maylor's Hold, Richmond Co., Va. ; member of the House of Burgesses in 1644 to 1659; married Mary Hill. From this marriage, all of the name in Virginia descended. They have intermarried with the Turners, of Kinlock, and Walsingham, the Beverleys, the Paynes of Warrenton, and some branches of the Carters (Carter Family, Chapter VII, Volume II). Landon Carter of Pittsylvania married Judith Fauntleroy.
-------------------- Alternately the daughter of http://www.geni.com/people/John-Holt/6000000004869636873?through=339487248950012245
Married Tristam Fauntleroy (d 1538)
- Bryan FAUNTLEROY, Gent.+.
- John FAUNTLEROY+.Born: 1536. Married Margaret Moore.
Joan Fauntleroy's Timeline
Stourton, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Crondall, Hampshire, England
July 25, 1539
Hitchin, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Romsey, Hampshire, United Kingdom