About Johanna Radcliffe
Joanna Radcliffe was born about 1365 in Manor Of Ordsall, Salford, Lancashire, England. The date of her death are not known.
Parents: Richard de Radcliffe b: in Ordsall, England and Sibyl de Clitheroe.
- aft 1414 to Henry de Hoghton of Leagram, kt., second son of Adam de Hoghton of Hoghton, kt
- "Joan de Radcliffe, who was heir to the manor after her mother's death in 1414, married Henry de Hoghton of Leagram, kt., second son of Adam de Hoghton of Hoghton, kt. He joined with his wife in 1422 in vesting the manors of Salesbury and Clayton-le-Dale in trustees for settlement upon their issue with remainder to the heirs male of Richard de Hoghton, natural son of Sir Henry, frustrating the intent of the settlement of 1340 and disinheriting the right heirs of Robert de Clitheroe the elder, (fn. 30) - Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 104; Towneley MS. DD, no. 2024, 2037; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 82. A settlement made by the trustees in 1424 included successive remainders to Peter and Giles the sons of Richard Talbot (of Slaidburn) in default of issue of Richard de Hoghton; Towneley MS. BB, no. 538 (Add. MS. 32104); Visit. (Chet. Soc. xcviii), 36–7 n." (1)
- Manors - LITTLE PENDLETON, held in thegnage, was perhaps the remaining plough-land not accounted for in the inquest of 1311. It rendered 6s. to John de Lacy in 1241, (fn. 10) and appears to have been acquired by degrees by the Clitheroe family (fn. 11) and their successors. (fn. 12) Sibyl the daughter and heir of Robert de Clitheroe died in 1414, (fn. 13) and her daughter Joan, having no issue by her husband Sir Henry de Hoghton, endeavoured to divert the succession to his illegitimate son Richard. The attempt was defeated, but he was allowed to have Little Pendleton, (fn. 14) which his descendants (fn. 15) retained till the beginning of the 17th century. (2)
- 'Townships: Salesbury', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911), pp. 252-257. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53110&strquery=Salesbury Date accessed: 15 March 2009.
- William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors). "Townships: Pendleton." A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911): 392-396. British History Online. Web. 17 April 2012. <http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53139>
- Ballard-Willis Family Tree change date: Change Date: 5 Aug 2007 at 12:39
- Re: Dates of Philip de Orreby as Justice of Chester
- Rootsweb database
Joan Radcliffe of Ordsall's Timeline
Chadderton, Lancashire, , England