Joanna (Anna) Newport (Corbet)
|Birthplace:||Moreton Corbet, Shropshire, England|
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
Daughter of Sir Robert Corbet II and Elizabeth Vernon Corbett
|Managed by:||Kira Rachele Jay|
Matching family tree profiles for Joanna (Anna) Newport
About Joanna (Anna) Newport (Corbet)
- 'Joan Corbet1
- Father Sir Robert Corbet, Sheriff of Shropshire b. c 1478, d. 11 Apr 1513
- Mother Elizabeth Vernon b. c 1479, d. 29 Mar 1563
- ' Joan Corbet married Thomas Newport circa 1531 at of High Ercall, Derbyshire, England.1
- 'Family Thomas Newport d. 1551
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 474.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1485.htm#i44627
- 'The National Archives Prob 11/17, ff. 214-5
- SUMMARY: The document below is the Prerogative Court of Canterbury copy of the will, dated 23 April 1509 and proved 16 November 1513, of Sir Robert Corbet (b. about 1477, d. 11 April 1513).
- The testator was the eldest son and heir of Sir Richard Corbet (b. 1551, d. 6 December 1493) and Elizabeth Devereux (d.15216), the daughter of Walter Devereux (1432-1485), 1st Baron Ferrers of Chartley, slain at the Battle of Bosworth on 22 August 1485. Elizabeth Devereux's nephew, Walter Devereux (born c.1489, d. 17 December 1558), 1st Viscount Hereford, the son and heir of John Devereux (c.1463/4-1501, 2nd Baron Ferrers of Chartley, was the great grandfather of Queen's Elizabeth's favourite, Robert Devereux (1565-1601), 2nd Earl of Essex.
- The testator's parents, Sir Richard Corbet (b. 1451, d. 6 December 1493) and Elizabeth Devereux (d.1516) had two sons (the testator, and another son, George), and five daughters: Mary Corbet, who married Sir Thomas Lacon (d.1526) of Willey, Shropshire (for his will, see TNA PROB 11/25, ff. 252-3); Anne Corbet, who married Sir Thomas Cornwall (1468-1538) of Burford; Elizabeth Corbert, who married Thomas Trentham (d.1518/9) of Shrewsbury (for his will, see TNA PROB 11/19, f. 136); Katherine Corbet, who married Thomas Onslow of Rodington; and Margaret Corbet (d.1573), who married Richard Clyve (d. 22 May 1562) of Walford, Shropshire. The testator's sister, Elizabeth Corbet and her husband, Thomas Trentham (d.1518/9), were the great-grandparents of Oxford's second wife, Elizabeth Trentham (d.1612).
- The testator married Elizabeth Vernon (d. 29 mar 1563), the daughter of Sir Henry Vernon (b. circa 1441, d. 13 April 1515) of Haddon and his wife, Anne Talbot (d. 17 May 1494), the daughter of Sir John Talbot (1413-1460), 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury. Richard Vernon (d.1517) of Haddon, mentioned in the will below, was the second son and heir of the testator's father-in-law, Sir Henry Vernon (b. circa 1441, d. 13 April 1515). For the will of the testator's father-in-law, Sir Henry Vernon (b. circa 1441, d. 13 April 1515) of Haddon, see TNA PROB 11/18, ff. 66-7.
- The testator and his wife, Elizabeth Vernon (d. 29 March 1563), had three sons: Roger Corbet (d.1538/9), who married Anne Windsor (d.1550/1), the daughter of Andrew Windsor (b.1467, d. 30 March 1543, 1st Lord Windsor; Richard Corbet (d.1564x6), who married Margaret (nee Savile), the widow of Thomas Wortley, esquire, of Wortley, Yorkshire, and daughter of Sir John Savile (d.1504) of Thornhill, Yorkshire; and Reginald Corbet (born c. 1510, d. 19 November 1566), who married Alice Gratewood (d.1603), daughter of John Gratewood of Wollerton, Shropshire, and Margaret Hill, sister of Sir Rowland Hill (c.1495-1561).
- The testator's eldest son and heir Roger Corbet (d.1538/9) was a ward of John de Vere (1442-1513), 13th Earl of Oxford (see TNA C 1/1485/58). For the will of the testator's son and heir, Roger Corbet (d.1538/9), see TNA PROB 11/27, f. 194. For the will of the testator's son, Richard Corbet (d.1564x6), see TNA PROB 11/48, f. 408. For the will of the testator's son, Reginald Corbet (born c. 1510, d. 19 November 1566), see TNA PROB 11/49.
- The testator and his wife, Elizabeth Vernon (d. 29 march 1563), also had four daughters: Jane, who married Thomas Lee (d.1561/2), the son and heir of Fulke Lee and Alice, the daughter of Sir Richard Cornwall of Berrington, Herefordshire (for the will of Thomas Lee, see TNA PROB 11/46, ff. 23-4); Joan or Anne, who married Thomas Newport (d.1548x51); Mary, who married Thomas Powell of Oswestry, and Dorothy, who married Sir Richard Mainwaring (b. about 1499, d. 30 September 1558) of Ightfield, Shropshire.
- ' The testator's daughter, Joan or Anne Corbet, and her husband, Thomas Newport (d.1548/51), were the parents of Sir Richard Newport (d.1570/1), . . . For the will of Thomas Newport (d.1548/51). see TNA PROB 11/34, f. 112. For the will of Sir Richard Newport (d.1570/1, see TNA PROB 11/53, f. 290. . . .