About Joannes Manuel
- Magistrate (a civil officer empowered to administer the law)
- Justice of the Peace
- Trustee and Envoy of the Church
Cause of Death:
- Manuel was later changed to Emmanuel, and then later changed again to Emanuel.
- Married Susanna Catherina Cron about 1703 in Huettersdorf, Saarland, Germany.
- Born in France and moved to the Saar (Saargebiet) in 1702, which territory was held several times by France and Germany in turn.
- Emanuel Vol. 3
- Emanuel Family http://cgibin.cs.unm.edu/mgroat-bin/igmget.cgi/n=GroatFamily?784296
Note on name: Manuel was later changed to Emmanuel, and then later changed again to Emanuel.
Joannes (John; in French: Sean, also Schaeng) Manuel was born ca. 1684 in France. He moved in 1702 to the Saar (Saargebiet), which territory was held several times by France and Germany in turn (Alsace Lorraine).
The oldest book of the parochial church in Huettersdorf, Germany, (which was rebuilt on May 20, 1695) has recorded the family of Joannes Manuel and Susanna Catharina Cron. They had fourteen children - seven boys and seven girls. According to records, the oldest daughter Anna Maria was baptized on April 22, 1704.
Joannes and Susanna were probably married some time in 1703. Both of them were about twenty years of age.
Joannes Manuel was a magistrate, a civil officer empowered to administer the law, a justice of the peace, and trustee and envoy of the church. On September 7, 1716, Joannes Manuel inherited from Otto Louis, Lord of Hunolstein, an oil press and a mill, which were located somewhat beyond the village of Huettersdorf. The Lord of Hunolstein gave him the mill and meadows on which to build a house, all of which he was to keep in good condition "as a resort for his bride."
When Joannes Manuel died February 13, 1755, the mill was taken over by son Claudius.
After much searching and correspondence with people in Germany, the birth date and place as well as the parents of Joannes are still unknown. It is thought he was a fugitive after the 30-Year War of 1618-1648. At that time many, many people took flight from France to settle in Germany and other countries. Dissension between Catholics and Protestants led to that war. We must keep in mind that if Joannes Manuel came from the devastated war area, he was one member of the family to survive the destruction and torment endured. At time of war valuable records are often destroyed or lost.
In a 1635 listing of all persons in Huettersdorf and Buprich there was no name "Manuel" (It was not until the Middle Ages that permanent surnames were established.)
Married Susanna Catherina Cron about 1703 in Huettersdorf, Saarland, Germany.
Children with Susanna Catherina Cron:
- Anna Maria Emanuel, b. 22 APR 1704 in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Catherina Emanuel, b. 16 DEC 1706 in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Claudius Emanuel, b. in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Joannes Emanuel, b. 01 SEP 1723 in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Joannes Emanuel, b. in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Joannes Peter Emanuel, b. in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Lodovica Magdalena Emanuel, b. 12 NOV 1722 in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Margaretha Emanuel, b. in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Maria Christina Henrica Emanuel, b. 05 JUL 1726 in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Maria Johanna Emanuel, b. in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Nikolaus Emanuel, b. in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Stephan Emanuel, b. 20 JUN 1715 in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Susanna Emanuel, b. 11 OCT 1705 in Huettersdorf, Germany
- Mathias Emmanuel, b. 25 OCT 1728 in Huettersdorf, Saarland, Germany