About John Ames
John came to Plymouth, MA in 1626. John removed to Bridgewater, MA and died without issue.
Two brothers, William and John, sons of John and Christian (Browne) Ames, were the originators of about half of all persons in the United States with the surname of Ames. Their arrival to the New World has not actually been ascertained. Many historians have given their immigration to New England in 1634/5, aboard the ship "Hercules". The passenger list for the Hercules, John Kiddy as the master, porting in Massachusetts the summer of 1635, does not include the brothers.
Title: New England families, genealogical and memorial: a record of the achievements of her people in the making of commonwealths and the founding of a nation; Volume 3, Page 1289
John Ames, the younger of the two immigrant brothers, coming to America in 1640, was named in 1643 as among those in Duxbury who were able to bear arms. He married Elizabeth Hayward, October 20, 1645, and removed to Bridgewater, Massachusetts, rendering distinguished service to the country of his adoption during King Philip's war, and dying in West Bridgewater in 1698. He accumulated a considerable amount of property which he left to his heirs.
- The New England historical and genealogical register, Volume 75, http://www.google.com/books?id=88sUAAAAYAAJ, pages 217 - 226