|Birthplace:||Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts, United States|
|Death:||Died in Gloucester, Essex, Mass|
Son of John Babson and Hannah Babson
|Managed by:||Catalina Chiloquin Clarke|
Matching family tree profiles for John Babson
About John Babson
John Babson (14) "resided in what is known as the old Garrison house on Back Street." He purchased this property from John Stevens and his wife Judith of Gloucester for £200. This property on Back [now Prospect] Street was bounded by the highway running north by land of Daniel Sargent of Boston about 1701, and had a dwelling house upon it.
John Babson (14) "of Gloucester, mariner" sold for £200 to John Stevens, merchant, a half acre in the "Harbour bounded on Middle Street by land belonging to heirs of Rev. Samuel Chandler ... containing a dwelling house and a spring on the lower side of street" His third wife, Anne, joined him in signing this deed on 22 January 1781.
John marrried 1st Deborah Stevens, who was born on 23 Oct 1719 at Gloucester.371 Deborah Stevens died at age 32 at Gloucester. The Reverend Samuel Chandler wrote in his journal on 6 Oct 1752, "John Babson's wife [Deborah] died in the evening about 10 o'clock."
Children of John5 Babson (14) and Deborah Stevens all born at Gloucester were as follows:
- i. John6 Babson; born 9 Oct 1739. He died young.
- ii. Capt. Samuel Babson (22), baptized 22 Mar 1740/41; married Lydia Plummer.
- iii. Deborah Babson; baptized Jul 1744; married Charles Fleming 11 Dec 1766 at Gloucester.373
- iv. John Babson III (23); baptized 8 Feb 1746/47; married Hannah Pearson 21 Nov 1775 at Gloucester as "John Babson, 3d;"374 died circa 1791, probably at sea. His name disappears from the ship registers at this time.
- v. Nathaniel Stevens Babson; born 6 Dec 1749. On 2 May 1775 he enlisted in Capt. Ezra Lunt's Co. of Col. Moses Little's Reg't., and served at Bunker Hill; the muster roll is dated 1 Aug 1775. He re-enlisted in Capt. Samuel Ward's Co. fo Arnold's expedition to Quebec and was captured during the night assault of 31 Dec 1775. No further record has been found.
- vi. James Stevens Babson; baptized 19 Apr 1752. He was only six months old when his mother died on 6 Oct 1752.
He married secondly Abigail Davis 2 Dec 1756 at Gloucester, possibly the widow of John Allen with whom she entered into marriage intentions 28 Jan 1743/43, according to Gloucester Vital Records. There were no children of John5 Babson (14) and Abigail Davis.
married third Anne Savery 20 Mar 1771 at Gloucester. Anne Savery was baptized on 29 Dec 1728 at Bradford, MA. There were no children of John5 Babson (14) and Anne Savery.
He died Mar 1797 at age 83.
John Babson's Timeline
September 7, 1713
Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
January 11, 1738
February 8, 1746
Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts
Gloucester, Essex, Mass