About John Barnard
John Barnard, maltster, came, probably in the "Francis," from Ipswich, 1634, with wife, Mary, aged thirty-eight; was perhaps the freeman of March 4, 1635; removed, 1636, from Cambridge to Hartford, where he was an original proprietor; he had twenty-four acres in the land division of 1639-1640, and his home-lot was on the south side of the highway, now Elm St. Chosen deputy, 1642-3; townsman, 1644, 1649, 1653, 1657. Exempted by the General Court from watching and warding, May, 1656. He was one of the "withdrawers," and removed to Hadley, 1659. He was buried there May 23, 1664, leaving a widow, Mary, but no children. The widow died February or March, 1664-5. John Barnard mentions in his will his kinsman, Francis Barnard, as executor, Morgan and Thomas Bedient, children of his sister, Mary, living in Old England, and the children of his kinsman, Henry Hayward, of Wethersfield. His widow left much of her property to her brothers, Daniel and William Stacy, of Burnham, near Maldon, County Essex.
SOURCE: James Hammond Trumbull, editor, The memorial history of Hartford County, Connecticut, 1633-1884, Volume 1 (Boston, Massachusetts: Edward L. Osgood, 1886), page 229. Retrieved: 3 May 2011 from Google Books