About John Batchelder
Listed as John Bacheldor in the Salem birth records; John Bacheler in the marriage records; John Bacheler in the Salem witch trial records.
From the Bachelor Genealogy by Frederick Clifton Pierce:
19. JOHN BACHELOR (John),
- b. Salem, June 23, 1650;
- m. in Salem, see Salem records, Aug. 14. 1673, Mary Herrick,
- dau. of Zachariah and Mary (Dodge) Herrick. b. Oct. 10, 1654.
- She d. Aug. 19, 1684.
He was a cooper by trade and resided in Rail Syde, Salem, which was afterwards incorporated as the town of Beverly. He had a grant of land in Rail Syde in 1639. which was not far Birch Plains, the home of the Herricks. All his children were baptized in the First Church in Beverly, Mass. Of his children Ebenezer and Mary died in infancy, for in the debts of his estate is an item "bringing up four children." At the time of the parents' deaths the oldest child was but little over ten years of age.
Dec 4, 1684 John Batchelder and his wife being Deceased .gave good hope of their being in the faith, and if they had lived longer, purposed to join in communion with this church, but being prevented by death, their children are subjects of baptism.— Church Records.
Mary Derrick was the granddaughter of Henry Herrick, b. 1604; her father, Zacharia, was b. 1636.
Salem Probate Rec, Xo. 2076. — Relating to division of house & lands of John Batchelder of Beverly & Mary his wife also deceased in 1696 -7. John eldest son to have one half. Jonathan & Josiah to have the other Bond to pay daughters Marv & Elizabeth.
Salem Reg. Deeds, book 102-206, dated 1728.— Deeding land set off by Mr Saml Leech of Salem to his four sisters or their husbands as share of their grandfathers estate Capt Richard Leech of Salem. Thomas Preston claims - through descent from Mary, Lydia, & Ruth &•John Batchelder from Abigail Thomas Preston deeds his ... to John Jr & Jonathan Batchelder. Deed signed by
- Thomas Preston
- Jonathan Batchelder
- John Jr.
- John Batchelder
- Josiah Woodbury.
Whereas Mr. Richard Leech of Salem gave unto his son Mr John Leech father of Mr Samuel Leech & Abigail Leech alias Ganson, Mary Putnam, Lydia Holton, Ruth Hutchinson
[Mr. Sam'l Leech then proceeds to set off land to four sisters & their husbands. ]
Deed signed by John Ganson & Abigail
- Sam'l Putnam & Mary
- Benj. Holton & Lydia
- Ambrose Hutchinson & Ruth
- dated May 2 1726
Essex Co. Probate Records, Old Scries, Book 5. July, 1604, to November, 1(197, vol. 305, page 228. — Essx ss. Deacon Peter Woodberry and Sargt. John Leach admtr. (the other admintr. to witt Zachary Derrick being dead) of the estate of John Bachilder late of Salem deed, the acct. of their administration on said Estate Exhibited to the Hon. Bartho. Gedney Esq. Judge of probate of Wills etc. for Essex Co. Nov. the 23rd. 1696 Cur.
The Said Estate Cred. Cur. £ s. d.
The real Estate as p. Inventory Real & 623 4
The Personall Estate as p. Personal 66 12 9
Effects received Since Nil 1. Rents Reed, for the Farme 145. 11
Memorandum 4 pt. of Royal Side being valued in the Inventory at ,£200 is subducted of 8d. Inventory their being a duty of five pounds. 6d p year to be paid. According to lease to the Towne of Salem for 1000 years. So that ye remains upon Inventory but 623:4 — as above 8d. So that they that pay the Rent or their Shares their of must have their share of tile income in proportion to ye rent they pay. Ye Hon. Acctants Prays allowance for the following Cr. Charges paimentt & disbursements by them made Since they accepted the Saiil Trust Cur £ sh.
As paid Do Weld 7.6, court charges 4s. Do. Packer /4 10s.
- Wm. Sewall 2.18:7 8. 00. 7
- Joseph Morgan 8s. Samuel Hardy 9— od. . 17.
- Samuel Stone 128. Wm. Hare 6s. Cornelus Baker 68, Capt. Leach 8a 1.12. o
- Mary Smith 15& Jno. Stone Snr. is. Robert Briseo 3.8 1. 2. 8
- Krarsise Cunnant 2.6: For Royal Side $£ 6d 5. 30
- Joshua Bason 1 2S. Sugar 5 xod. Sam Corning 1 1£ 11.17.10
- Jno. Stone for work -s. a gall, oyle 3s 11.0
- Saml. Hardy is. Toby Trow 3 6~for mending Shose 4-6
- Wm. Gerrish i.s. bleding Philip llandly is. M.ithew Woodwell 6d -.
- Making Shose Ss. Woodwell for gloves is. A comb is. 10. 0
- Tobiaa Trow mending Shose 4 6 p. oile & cordage 58 9. 6
- A coat for Philip 3 6. Cornehous Baker 3s 6. 6
- Steling an ax 2s. p a rate pd. 10s 12. 0
- Solomon Cole for Salt 4s 4. 0
- David Perkins for work don in ye shop 76 Hr. Corner 3s 10. 6
- Wm. Browne 5:5:3 — Mr. Wm. Browne 21s 6. 6. 34
- Joseph Morgan 1 lb Corr.e 3s. Mr. Hirst io.£ 16s 10.19.
- Mr. Higginson 4:16:31. Toby Trew 55s 7.11. 3
- David Perkins 35s. Pd. Benj. Small 10s 2. 5.10
- Pd. Nath Howard 23s. 4d. Josh Morgan for shirting for Philip 17s. i6d 2. o. 10
- Lining Cloth for Sarah Church 26s. 6d. 2 pr. Shose 1. 12. 6
- Pd. John Glover 8s. John Clark 6s. Goodwin Jacobs 15s 1. 9. o
- Pd. Saml. Hardy for writing 3s. 2 days at Ipswich expended i6d. 4. 4
- Expence at ye 2d aprisal is. Saml. Gardner or Mr. Higginson. . 11. 8
- Tobias Trow for Shose 3.6. Rog. Hoskins iSd. petrion2.6 7. 6
- Pd. for Philips Indenture 18s. C for breaches for ditto Pd 11. 6
- Joseph Dodge for weaving 7s. buttons is. phisick for Elizabeth 2s 10. o
- Pd. for work on the farm to secure ye Crop upon the ground. ... 5. 11. 6
- Pd. Mr. Wm. Browne 20.6 Mr. Sewall 11. 6. Hurse us 2. 3. o
- Pd. Benj. Pitman 12s. Tho. Patch is 13. o
- Pd. for 10 ye Rent Royal Side 5^ 6d 50. 5. o
- Capt. Higginson for clothing for Josiah & Making 2.10. 6
- The Same brought over (from previous page) ,£127.15. 9
- 2 Caster hatts for Jonathan & Josiah 1.00. o
- So much due or pd. to Andrew Elliot for Caske 3.16. 6
- Pd. Martha Herrick for tendance in Sickness 5.00. o
- Pd. John Archer 5s 05. c
- Allowing the acct. Setling & dividing the Estate 10s 10. o
- Stating the acct. being long & difficult 6s. recording settlement 6s. 12. o
- A quietus 4s. mony disburst by the admintr. 10s 14. o
- bringing up 4 children 1 1 yrs 166. 1 2. 9
So much Remains to Ball, the Estate of Con 4S7. 5. 9
Peter Woodberry admintr.
Essex s.s. By the Hon. Bar. Gedney Esqr. judge of probate of Will for Sd. County November the vlt. 1696 Deacon Peter Woodberry & Sargt. John Leach admintr. made oath that the above is a just and true acct. of their admin, on the estate of John Bachilder late of Salem Deed, to the best of their knowledge Sworn Attest Jno. Croade Regr.
The Ballance of the Estate above (beside the Exception & memorandum set down on the other side for Royal Side) being — 487.5.9 Is divided as followeth viz.
- John Bachilder the eldest Son a double portion 162 — 8 — 6
- Jonathan Bachilder 81 — 4 — 3 V 2
- Josiah Bachilder 81 — 4 — 3<4
- Elizabeth Bachilder 81— 4— v..
- Mary Bachilder 81 — 4 — 3 ■_,
487— 5— 9
(These Sons to keep the lands & pay the Daughters their portions in moveables. to their content and satisfaction they giving bond on the sureties to performe the Same in Some reasonable time. )
Their is also Besides the above distribution in the hand of Sargt. Leach. 11. 0.0
Also in the hand of Robert Coborne which is in Controvercy (more). 11. 0.0
Exam. p. I. C. Regr.
John. — Salem. — -1684, Sept. 30 Inv., etc., vol. 304, p. 98 to 100. 1687. Dec. 6.
Rects. (on file). 1696, Nov. 30. Ace. (not on file), vol. 305, p. 228. 1696, Nov. 30.
Div. est. (not on file), vol. 305, p. 229. 1697, March 10. Memo, of additional estate, vol. 305, p. 229. 1697, March to. Return of Comtee. div. r. c. of said John and Mary, wife. Vol. 305, p. 293. Bonds on file.
The minor children had guardians appointed in 1697. who filed bonds. They were Elizabeth, Jonathan, Josiah and Mary.
In a deed from Mary Herrick's brother, Henry, which I have in my possession, is as follows: my father Zachariah Herrick, of Beverly, house carpenter, deceased, having in his life time given 10 acres of land lying in Birch Plain, so called, etc., unto his dau. Mary Batchelder, wife John Batchelder, cooper, late of Salem, afores'd dec' Here the boundaries are given, and the statement made that no form of conveyance having been given, that Henry Herrick has granted, etc., to Jonathan and Josiah Batchelder, two of the sons of my sister, ye said Mary Batchelder, etc." This is dated "Jan. ax, 1716." Communicated by Mrs. Isabella James, of Cambridge. Mass., a descendant of Mary (Herrick) Batchelder.
He d. Aug. 6, 1684.
Res. Salem and Beverlv, Mass.
36. i. EBEXEZER,
- bap. Oct. 19, 1673-4;
- d. in infancy.
37. ii. JOHN,
- b. Feb. 26, 1675;
- m. Bethiah Woodburyand Sarah Rea.
38. iii. JONATHAN,
- b. March 29, 1678;
- m. Ruth Rayment.
39. iv. JOSIAH,
- b. March 6. 1680;
- m. Mary Rayment.
40. v. MARY,
- bap. Nov. 29, 1685;
- d. in infancy.
41. vi. ELIZABETH,
- bap. Nov. 29, 1685 ;
- m. May 14. 1701, in Salem, John Mascoll;
- res. Salem.
- Ch. : 1. Hester, b. Nov. 25, 1702.
- He d. June 1, 1702. This name is written Mascall, Moskell and Maskor. John was son or grandson of John of Salem, who had a son John, bap. Feb. 23, 1651.
------------------------------ John was on the jury of the infamous Salem witch trial. He was responsible for condemning Rebecca Nurse, and so many others, to death. It was a burden he lived with, but not without remorse. Later he, along with many others, signed a Declaration of Regret. It stated:
“We whose names are under-written, being in the year 1692 called to serve as jurors in court at Salem, on trial of many who were by some suspected guilty of doing acts of witchcraft upon the bodies of sundry persons, we confess that we ourselves were not capable to understand, nor able to withstand, the mysterious delusions of the powers of darkness and Prince of the air, but were, for want of knowledge in ourselves and better information from others, prevailed with to take with such evidence against the accused, as, on further consideration and better information, we justly fear was insufficient for the touching the lives of any (Deut. xvii) whereby we fear we have been instrumental, with others though ignorantly and unwittingly, to bring upon ourselves and this people of the Lord the guilt of innocent blood; which sin the Lord saith in Scripture he would not pardon (2 Kings xxiv. 4)–that is, we suppose, in regard to his temporal judgments. We do therefore hereby signify to all in general, and to the surviving sufferers in special, our deep sense of, and sorrow for, our errors in acting on such evidence to the condemning of any person; and do hereby declare, that we justly fear that we were sadly deluded and mistaken–for which we are much disquieted and distressed in our minds, and do therefore humbly beg forgiveness, first of God, for Christ’s sake, for this our error, and pray that God would impute the guilt of it to ourselves nor others, and we also pray that we may be considered candidly and aright by the living sufferers, as being then under a strong and general delusion, utterly unacquainted with, and not experienced in, matters of that nature. We do hereby ask forgiveness of you all, whom we have justly offended, and do declare, according to our present minds, we would none of us do such things again, on such grounds, for the whole world–praying you to accept of this in way of satisfaction for our offense, and that you would bless the inheritance of the Lord, that he may be entreated for the land.Thomas Fisk, Foreman.
William Fisk John Bacheler Thomas Fisk John Dane Joseph Evelith Thomas Pearly, Sr. John Peabody Thomas Perkins Samuel Sayer Andrew Eliot Henry Herrick, Sr.”John Bacheler’s granddaughter Lydia would eventually marry Israel & Elizabeth’s grandson, William Porter… but by that time (1733) the Salem Witch Trials were deemed unlawful by the General Court and monitary restitution had been made to the heirs of the condemned. The horror of Salem was becoming the history of Salem. In 1957, the State of Massachusett formally apologised for the events of 1692.
John Batchelder's Timeline
Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
August 14, 1673
Salem, MA, USA
April 26, 1675
Town of Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
March 29, 1678
Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
March 6, 1680
Beverly, Essex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
August 6, 1684
Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony