John Borland's Top Matches
About John Borland Thayer
- Name: Mr John Borland Thayer
- Born: Monday 21st April 1862
- Age: 49 years
- Last Residence: in Haverford Pennsylvania United States
- Occupation: Businessman
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Cherbourg on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 17421 , £110 17s 8d
- Cabin No.: C68
- Died in the sinking.
- Body Not Recovered
Mr John Borland Thayer, 49, from Haverford, Pennsylvania was Second Vice-President of the Pennsylvania Railroad. He was married to Marian Longstreth Morris and they had two daughters: Margaret "Peggy" and Pauline, and two sons, one of whom, Jack Thayer, accompanied them on their trip to Europe in 1912.
Mr Thayer and his family had been in Berlin as guests of the American Consul General and Mrs Thackara two weeks prior to boarding the Titanic as first class passengers (cabin C-68).
Later that evening, Mr & Mrs Thayer with Jack joined Lucile and William Carter, Major Butt and Captain Smith at a dinner party held by George, Harry and Eleanor Widener, in the à la carte restaurant.
The family were preparing for bed when the collision occurred. Jack went up immediately to investigate, he returned to their stateroom and they followed him back on deck.
As the boats were prepared for lowering John and Jack said good bye to Marian. They believed she got away in a boat but Chief Second Steward George Dodd advised them that she was still on board. They found her again and, after losing Jack in the crowd, John saw Marian safely into lifeboat 4.
Thayer had no intention of boarding a boat. He stuck with his friends George and Harry Widener and Charles Duane Williams. When all the boats were gone Colonel Gracie saw John Thayer looking "pale and determined" by the midship rail aft of lifeboat 7 talking with George Widener. They may have moved towards the stern like so many other passengers and crew because when Gracie returned a short while later they had gone.
John B. Thayer's body, if recovered, was never identified.
- Margaret (Peggy) Thayer Talbott, died July 15, 1962.
- Pauline Thayer Dolan, died March 2, 1981, (Obituary).
- Frederick Morris Thayer (born July 17, 1896 in Rosemont, Pennsylvania) an investment banker, He received an A.B. from Yale University in 1918 and married Eliza T. Talbott on October 27, 1923. He died November 16, 1956 and his wife lived to be in her nineties (died about 1991). They had the following children: 1. Frederick Morris Thayer, Jr. (now deceased); 2. Marian Thayer (married Robert Toland, Jr.); 3. Harry E. Thayer; 4. Thurston H. Thayer; 5. Nelson S. Thayer.
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Miss Margaret Fleming
- Mrs Marian Longstreth Thayer
- Mr John Borland jr Thayer
- Phillip Gowan, USA
John Borland Thayer's Timeline
April 21, 1862
from Haverford, Pennsylvania
December 24, 1894
lived in Haverford, PA
July 17, 1896
April 15, 1912
At Sea - Titanic Casualty