John Bott Thornock

Is your surname Thornock?

Research the Thornock family

John Bott Thornock's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Share

John Bott Thornock

Birthdate:
Birthplace: Whitwick, Leicestershire, England
Death: Died in Bloomington, Bear Lake, Idaho, USA
Place of Burial: Bloomington, Bear Lake, Idaho, USA
Immediate Family:

Son of John Thornock and Ann Thornock
Husband of Emma Ward
Father of John Henry THORNOCK; George Thomas Thornock; Emma Jane Thornock; William Ward Thornock; Joseph Bott Thornock and 6 others
Brother of Matthew Thornock; Joseph Thornock; Mary Ann Thornock; Hannah Hess; Sarah Ann Thornock Welker and 3 others

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About John Bott Thornock

John Bott Thornock was the son of John and Ann Bott Thornock. They became members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in May, 1844, i Whitwick, England. John was born in Laxfield, England, but moved to Whitwick where he met his bride, Ann, the daughter of William and Mary Bott. To this couple was born nine children, six in England and three in Utah. While John worked as a corn dealer in Whitwick the following children blessed their home: John Bott, Mathew, William, Joseph, Mary Ann and Hannah.

After joining the church they longed for the day they could come to Zion. They saved their meager earnings and on February 4, 1854 John and Ann sailed with their six young children from England on the ship Golconda for America. It took seven long, arduous, and heart-rending months on the ocean and crossing the Great Plains to arrive in Salt Lake City, Utah in September 1854. They crossed the plains in the Job Smith Company and on June 12, 1854 little 3-1/2 year-old Mary Ann died.

Listed on the ships manifest were: John (father), 37, Laborer, Ann (mother), 34, John, (himself), 12, Matthew, 10, William, 8, Joseph, 5, Mary A., 3 and Hanna, 3 months old. On arriving at New Orleans, Louisiana, on March 18th, the emigrants were received by an agent of the LDS church and he procured suitable steamboats for them to proceed on to St. Louis, Missouri. They arrived in St. Louis on March 31st and Kansas City, Missouri, on April 16th. The Thornock family camped there under the care of Elder William Empey for 9 weeks making preparation for crossing the plains with the Job Smith Company. Their camping grounds were about two miles west of the river in Indian Country, the same year Kansas and Nebraska were created by the congress as new territories.

Many historians have described the outfitting stations on the Missouri River as “tent cities .“ Each family on the Golconda had spent many hours while crossing the ocean as “tent makers ,“ cutting and sewing the “very superior twilled cotton canvas procured in England .“ Each family made a common field tent and a wagon cover to fit the wagon box which was 12 feet long, 3 feet 4 inches wide and 18 inches deep.

Elder Empey and his assistants assigned each family a new wagon, four oxen, two milk cows, and the basic provisions for camping. It probably took several weeks to receive enough wagons from Cincinnati and St. Louis to supply all the families. During the nine weeks, April 16—June 15, John Thornock had the opportunity to assist Elder Empey to buy oxen, milk cows, train his oxen to work as a team and operate the wagon safely for his family. The three older sons were used to milking cows and driving and riding horses, so they were most helpful with the chores around camp. They soon had a camp for their family of eight, with good sleeping arrangement in the tent and wagon. Many additional provisions were purchased and carefully arranged for hauling in the wagon including an extra log chain to help pull wagons out of mud holes, a supply of bullets and powder for the rifle, etc. John saw the advantage of having a good saddle horse for herding the oxen and milk cows while they grazed nights and mornings during the long trip on the plains. He could also be better prepared to help others in the company mounted on a saddle horse. It took 180 oxen to pull the 45 wagons and 72 milk cows for the 36 families, a total herd of 252 cattle to care for in the camp and on the plains. Many corrals and pasture fences were constructed near the camping grounds for the livestock during the nine-week period. In addition to all the heavy labor of assembling the wagons, training the young oxen, constructing pasture fences and corrals and all the camping and household chores, there was a lot of time for church and social activities. From the middle of April to the middle of June the days were warm and nights cool, a delightful time of year. The seven Branches of the church as organized on the Golconda continued to function during this nine—week period in the camping grounds. Meetings were held five times a week, including the dances and socials for the Branches and the whole conference. The most memorable and encouraging hymn which was sung at each meeting was ‘‘Come, Come, Ye Saints."

The Job Smith Company, with whom the Thornocks traveled, followed a main branch of the Oregon Trail in a northwesterly direction from Kansas City, Missouri, fording or ferrying such major streams as the Delaware River, Big Soldier Creek and the Big Blue River in Kansas. Then they continued northwest to Steele City, Nebraska. Following the north side of the Little Blue River past the towns of Oak, Deweese, Ken nesaw and at Kearney, Nebraska, a few miles east of Ft. Kearney, they left the Oregon Trail and forded the Platte River. Here they connected with the old 1847 Mormon Trail, following it to the Salt Lake Valley. This route was about 100 miles longer than the 1847 trail and was new for Job Smith as far as Kearney, Nebraska.

Our manner of travelling was quite unique. Up the north side of the Platte River two lines of wagons abreast. After unyoking cattle at night, several teamsters drove the heard to where they could best find feed, sometimes as far as a mile, herding them until dark, then driving them to camp, place a rope around each animal’s horns and at the other end of the rope driving a stake in the ground. Very early in the morning cattle released and started up again at a given signal. Wagons were all driven at camping time so as to form two half circles, thus making one circle complete, each wagon driven so as to lock his off front wheel behind the near hind wheel of the wagon before him. This formed a complete corral for the teams all night, instead of roping them. Another curiosity of travel at that time was the vast number of Buffaloes to seen for a number of days. At one time looking forward up the Platte Valley as far as the eye could reach, the landscape was almost black with them, they were so numerous.

The new arrivals were soon integrated into the community program and made to feel “right at home.” to the surprise of many, in the seven years from July 24, 1847, to 1854, the city had grown to a remarkable size and other towns were springing up to the north and to the south. Two thousand people had gathered in the Salt Lake Valley by the fall of 1847. The estimated population of "Deseret" was 15,000 in 1850 and would be 76,335 by February of 1856. Of these 37, 277 were males and 39,058 were females.

For the Thornock family, it was “roll up your sleeves” and get on with the job at hand. The family was hardly well settled in their new home when eight-year old William died on October 12, 1854, probably of tick fever, again wrenching their hearts, losing two of their small family since landing in America. It took just a lot more faith and courage to carry on. There was no thought of quitting or turning back. With good neighbors and friends they were able to endure their heart aches and move forward. The major public projects under way at the time were on Temple Square. There was work for the Thornock men helping to finish the wall around the temple block, the Endowment House, and beginning the work on the majestic Temple. Their oldest son, John Bott Thornock, recalls “hauling rock for the Salt Lake Temple. I assisted in hauling the corner—stone for the main tower which weighed nearly 10,000 pounds and was drawn by seven yoke of cattle. For a time I was coach driver and chore boy for Captain W. Hooper.” No doubt cutting and hauling wild hay was another big and important job. Some could be sold for a good price.

The Thornock Family worked diligently in Salt Lake City for about two years. They were filled with joy when a lovely daughter, Sarah Ann, was born on April 16, 1856, nearly two years after little Mary Ann had died. By this time they were searching for some land to build a more permanent home and get back to farming and gardening-work they were used to in England. They found “just the place” in the Farmington area about 16 miles to the north. The Thornock family was involved in all the activities of Farming ton for 14 years 1857-71. One of the most important events was while Hannah Thornock was court ing Jacob Hess, the oldest child of Bishop John W. Hess. They were married in the Endowment House on February 16, 1868. All four of the older children: John Bott, Matthew, Joseph and Hannah had the special opportunity as scholars in the unique Sunday School which was organized in 1866.

During the Utah War when Johnsonton's army was in the area, the Thornock's had to leave along with the other Saints. But after the war, the Thornock Family returned to Farmington. The spring and summer of 1858 included “some of the worst and some of the best .“ April, May and June they were “moving south ,“ finding pasture for their livestock and setting up temporary camps for a few days at a time. Fortunately the move only took them as far south as Provo, Utah. This period was the “worst” because they had no idea where or when it would end, or if there would be a bloody war. The “best” part came in July when the leaders gave their approval to return to homes in Farmington. Naturally the family was thrilled to return as soon as they could. Fortu nately, they found their buildings as they left them. Even if the season was late, there was still time to plant some vegetables and harvest wheat and hay for the livestock. Two more children Born in Farmington. The next few years was a period of dedication and hard work in building up their home, increasing their small herd and helping in public projects. Work on the temple was continuing and the two older boys had several work assign ments in Salt Lake City. Two sons were born in Farmington, George Henry on March 31, 1859, and Hyrum James on April 6, 1862.

“On August 23, 1863, Brigham Young called a meeting at Logan, Utah. He stated that the purpose of the meeting was to take immediate possession of the Bear Lake Valley by sending a company there that fall. The almost complete annihilation of the troublesome northern Indians by Federal soldiers at Battle Creek in January, 1863 gave the Saints encouragement that their outlying colonies would now be reasonably secure from Indian depredations. “Apostle Charles C. Rich was chosen to lead an exploring party into the valley and select a site for settlement. A few men from Cache Valley were called to take wagons over with an eye to permanent settlement. Fifty horsemen were selected to explore the valley.

In the Spring of 1871 there was much activity in Farmington by the townspeople leaving for Bear lake Valley. Several families had been called in the 1870 October Conference of the Church to help in the settlement of Georgetown and the northern part of the valley. Jacob Hess decided to go with some of those families. His young wife, Hannah, and their baby would stay with Jacob’s folks until he came back to get them when his cabin was ready.

The rest of the Thornock family moved to Bloomington in April 1871. This meant the parents, their unmarried children: Joseph 22, Sarah Ann 15, George Henry 12, and Hyrum James 9 would be joining John and Emma in helping to colonize the Bear lake Valley. Matthew and Ann and their two babies were also ready and anxious to move at the same time. It was a major exodus.

The vacant lots in 1871 were largely in the northwest part of Bloomington. Just west of the Ward home built in 1867 and across the street were two vacant lots. The Thornock family selected this location. It was one block north of the home John and Emma had started to build in 1865. There would be no homes between them, their lots would only be separated by a street. Matthew and Ann selected a 4-acre tract three blocks southwest of John and Emma’s.

The Thornock and Ward families were truly happy to be such close neighbors. This relationship began many years before in England. Now they would continue to rear their families together in America.

During the next few years most of the time and effort was spent improving their homes and constructing corrals, barns, stables, and sheds for the livestock. Small tracts of sagebrush land were plowed each year and gardens planted. larger tracts just outside of the town site were plowed and planted to wheat, barley, and oats. There was a great deal of community effort on the canyon roads and bridges and enlarging the irrigation ditches. Each married couple selected a 160 acre tract of wild hay land east of Bloomington. Under the Homestead Act passed by the Congress in 1862, this tract could become personal property. It was required that the family live on the land, improve it by fencing it, harvesting the hay and grain the forage for a period of five years. This meant each family had two log cabins, one in town, one on the ranch.

The Bear Lake valley was blessed with a great variety of natural resources. The most striking thing the Thornock family saw as they entered the valley was the large, blue lake to the south. The next most striking was the many square miles of wet meadows in the bottom lands, locally called “the bottoms.” On the fairly flat bench lands were several square miles of sagebrush mixed with bunch grasses and wild flowers. Above the bench lands were extensive foothills covered with sage and other mountain shrubs also with a mixture of bunch grasses and wild flowers.

Behind the foothills, to the west of Bloomington, the mountains rise 3000 to 4000 feet in a distance of five or six miles. For the new settlers, four essential resources were in abundance, good rich soil for farming, a reliable supply of potable water, a variety of forest trees for fuel and wood products, and forage for cattle, horses and sheep.

About one-half mile east of the town site of Bloomington the bench land ends abruptly and the wild hay land begins. This large bottom land is characterized by high water table, heavy clay soils which are often alkaline. The wild hay is composed largely of bulrushes and other smaller rushes and sedges, only a small part is grass. On the higher and frier knolls is a mixture of good grasses such as Redtop and Native Timothy. Despite the only fair to good mixture of species, the wild hay land produces the major tonnage of winter feed for the livestock. Even the cattails which grow along the sloughs were harvested by the women to make pillows and mattresses.

Bloomington and the other towns in the valley are located at the mouth of the canyons on the alluvial bench lands. The soil is a rich, sandy or gravelly loam, often three to five feet in depth. It is necessary to plow and carefully cultivate these soils to produce good gardens and orchards, wheat, barley and oats, alfalfa, timothy, brome and clover. These crops need two or three irrigations each summer. A limited acreage in the lower foothills produces good dry—farm wheat without irrigation. However, this land must lie fallow every other year, producing one crop of dry—farm wheat in two years. More extensive dry farming is done in the northern end of the valley near Bennington and Georgetown.

When the Thornock family arrived in 1871, most of the good bench land had been filed on and was being “proved up” for homesteads by the earlier settlers. There were still a few choice opportunities for homesteading in the “bot - toms. In the foothills and in the canyons west of Bloomington were extensive grazing lands in public ownership. Many of the families used these lands for their cattle and horses from early spring to late fall. There were no grazing fees, but the families shared the expenses of salting and herding on the “open range.” The “bunchgrass” was composed of several species of wheatgrass, mountain brome, bluegrass, fescue, ryegrass, and June grass. The livestock also foraged on many associated “wild flowers” and shrubs. Bloomington canyon was blessed with a choice variety of forest trees. Near the mouth of the canyon is a colorful fringe of canyon maple, some sugar was produced from this small shrubby tree. Aspen or quaking—aspen is abundant in the middle elevations. Then a mixture of lodge pole pine, Douglas fir and sub alpine fir covers extensive areas throughout the canyon. Engelmann spruce is the largest tree in the canyon at the higher elevations. Limber pine is also found on the higher rocky ridges.

Curl leaf mountain mahogany grows on the warmer, south—facing slopes and on the rocky ridges throughout the canyon. In the early days of colonizing the valley, the dead mahogany was cut and hauled to the homes for fuel wood. All the other trees furnished fuel wood, but dry mahogany was the best. It was prized by every homemaker.

Lodge pole pine, and occasionally Douglas fir, furnished most of the logs for cabins, barns, granaries, sheds and other buildings. Douglas fir was usually selected for bridge stringers, derricks and other structural needs for round timbers. Aspen and lodge pole pine were best for fence and corral poles. Utah Juniper (cedar) made the best fence posts.

When sawmills were installed the settlers preferred Douglas fir for floor and ceiling joists, studding and rafters. Engelmann spruce, lodge pole pine and sub alpine fir produced good boards. Often the slabs were salvaged from the sawmills and used in corral fences, roofing for barns and sheds. Shingles were made from lodge pole pine and Douglas fir. Another natural resource sought after by the Thornock women was the native fruit growing in the canyons. Often fresh or bottled for winter these added variety for the table. Principal fruits harvested were: chokecherry, huckleberry, service berry, gooseberry, currants and Oregon grape. A few wild raspberries and strawberries were found along the creeks.

Wild animals and birds were found in abundance. A few like the wolf, coyote, cougar, and black bear were a problem at times. They developed a liking for calves, colts, and lambs. The cougar was especially fond of colt meat. But the settlers felt blessed to enjoy many songbirds and even seagulls that fed on grasshoppers and other insects. Ducks, geese and snipes were numerous in the “bottoms” and were a source of meat and feathers and down for quilts and pillows. The foothills and canyons provided excellent habitat for blue grouse, willow grouse, sage hens and prairie chickens. Mule deer were present but not in great numbers in Bloomington Canyon.

John was fifty-five and Ann fifty-one when they and their family moved to Bloomington, Idaho in 1871. They constructed a very nice log home just one block north of the home of John Bott, their oldest son, and his wife Emma who had lived in Bloomington five years. Their good friends, John and Emma Hogg Ward had moved to Bloomington four years before, in 1867, and built their home on the lot just across the street to the east. They were close neighbors for the rest of their lives, a relationship which began in Whitwick, England when both couples were newly weds.

Bloomington was a choice place to live and to enjoy the rewards of their labors, especially to have all their children and grandchildren so near. John and Ann missed their home and friends in Farming ton, but being together again as a big family was the greatest blessing of their lives. Their family and the progams and activities in the Church fulfilled their every desire and they were happy.

A tragedy was suffered when the new home of Matthew and Ann burned to the ground on November 7, 1872, and their oldest daughter, Sarah Ann, was burned to death. She would have been six years old on January 2, if she had lived. The whole town rallied around the family in their hour of grief. Within weeks a new home was constructed as a community project. Almost everyone donated some article of clothing or furniture to help this young couple get back on their feet.

John and Ann enjoyed much happier times to see their other children married to choice companions. Joseph and Sarah Ann chose February 2, 1875 to have double weddings with their sweethearts; Joseph to Amelia Ellen Long, and Sarah Ann to John Eller Welker. George Henry and Louisa Mahala Welker were married on September 8, 1881. Hyrum James and Matilda Wilson were married on February 24, 1885. All the Thornock families continued to live in Bloomington for many years. John and Ann often said that they were blessed with riches that could not be bought with gold or silver. Each of their seven children who lived to maturity presented them with lovely grandchildren, a total of 65: John Bott and Emma11, Matthew and Ann 6, Joseph and Amelia 9 Hannah and Jacob 11, Sarah and John Eller Welker, 11, George H. and Louisa 11, Hyrum and Matilda, Hyrum and Mary 5. Ann was an experienced midwife and several of her grandchildren were born in her home. Jacob Hess even pulled his wife and their first baby on a hand sleigh, more than 22 miles, from Georgetown to Bloomington where their second child, Mary Ann, was born in John and Ann’s new home on February 28, 1872.

Theirs was a warm, comfortable log home with a shingle roof. The living roan floor was covered wall to wall with a colorful, woven, rag carpet heavily padded each fall with clean oat straw. Ann tore multi—colored rags into strips, sewed them end to end and wove them into throw rugs for the bed rooms. The beds were equipped with springs and bulging straw ticks to sleep on. Thick fluffy feather beds were used for covers. Ann made lovely feather beds like she had used as a girl in England. John was a good hunter and brought home many wild ducks and geese every fall. The excellent feathers and down were carefully saved, cleaned and used to make the feather beds and pillows for their family and for gifts to their children and grandchildren. Patchwork quilts were also made for each bed. These, with bright calico curtains at the windows, added color and warmth to the home. Two wood— burning stoves provided the necessary heating against the cold winters and terrible blizzards. The huge cast iron kitchen range with its large oven, a warming oven above, and a water—heating reservoir at one end, helped Ann prepare her famous English meals. The heat from the range and the potbelly stove in the living room also kept the bedrooms just warm enough for good sleeping. Coal oil lamps and thick tallow candles flickered in each room. The snow white pine floor of the large kitchen showed the results of daily scrubbing with Ann’s home made lye soap. The long pine dining table used up one third of the kitchen but also served as a cutting board and work area for cooking, bottling, sewing, and family games. In the corner stood the old, well used spinning wheel. Ann spun wool from their own sheep and made her own yarn for knitting. She was most creative in knitting sweaters, caps, mittens, stockings and scarfs; she even made her husband a homespun dress suit and a warm buggy lap robe. The kitchen also served as the bathroom every Saturday night as each member of the family took his turn in the No. 3 tin wash tub.

Outside was a lean-to made of slabs where Ann stored her small loom and dye-pot, the heavy cast iron pot used to make soap over an open fire and the heavy kettle used for rendering lard. On the north side of the house, in the ground, was a deep root cellar covered with a log and slab roof and a foot of clay soil. Each fall it was filled with potatoes, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, beets, horse radish and squash from their own garden. In the inside cellar, under the kitchen, were shelves loaded with bottled raspberries, strawberries, currants, plums, rhubarb, apples, peas, beans, and corn. Several sizes of crocks of preserves, an oak barrel of water and salt brine for curing hams and bacon, and a larger oak barrel filled with pickles. All added variety to the meals.

John raised milking short horn cattle so there were good cuts of beef, milk, cream and butter. Pigs furnished sausage, hams, bacon, pork roasts, pork chops and lard; lamb chops, roasts and wool from the sheep; eggs and meat from the chickens. They never went hungry in Bloomington.

The population of the town grew until it reached its maximum about the turn of the century. At the end of 1900 there were 113 families and 578. It had been twenty-five years since Mary Ann and William had died in 1854. Matthew died in Bloomington he left his loving wife and their four living children on September 30, 1879. Ann was four months pregnant and David Arthur was born on March 2, 1880.

Other deaths in the family of John and Ann follow: John Thornock January 4, 1885, Ann Bott Thornock June 6, 1911, John Bott Thornock, July 23 1917, Sarah Ann T. Welker April 29, 1921, Joseph Thornock December 25, 1921, George Henry Thornock May 26, 1926, Hannah T. Hess September 27, 1933, Hyrum James Thornock June 20, 1935.

All were buried in the beautiful Bloomington cemetery on the hill overlooking the valley, except Sarah Ann Welker who was buried in Wilford, Idaho. Little 3-1/2 year old Mary Ann died on June 12, 1854, and was buried near Kansas City, Missouri, and eight year old William had died on October 12, 1854, and was buried in Salt lake City.

John and Ann and their children were blessed with reasonably good health almost to the day of their deaths. George T., their second oldest grandchild (age 16), wrote the following in his diary at the death of John: “Fri., Jan. 2, 1885. It was a cold day and I done chores at home and Grandfather Thornock was worse.” “Sat., Jan. 3, 1885. It was a fine day and I done chores and at night Father and Uncle Jacob Jess sat up with Grandfather .“ “Sun. Jan. 4, 1885. It was a fine day and my poor Grandfather Thornock died at half past seven o’clock in the morning and I did not go to Sunday School nor to meeting and John Henry came home from Swan Creek.”

“Tue., Jan. 6, 1885. It was a stormy day and I went to school and done chores. John Henry (their oldest grandchild) went up to St. Charles and got Rebecca Themellon and brought her down to Grandmother’s.

“Wed., Jan. 7, 1885. It was a fine day and they had Grandfather Thornock’s funeral in the Bloomington meeting house at ten o’clock in the morning. Ten teams followed the corpse to the school house. The funeral sermons were preached by W. Piggott, J. Sutton, Sr., and P. Greenhalgh Sr. Then twenty—two teams followed the corpse to the grave.” A brief obituary was published in the Deseret News in Salt Lake City and in the Millennial Star in England concerning John’s death which stated in part that “he remained (in Bloomington) till his death, continuing faithful and true to the Gospel, energetic and active as a member of the Church.” He was nearly 69 years old at his death and had lived in Bloomington for 13 years 8 rnonths after 16-1/2 years in Utah.

Ann lived in widowhood 26-1/2 years surrounded by the large Thornock family, relatives and friends. Her special and close friend and next door neighbor, Emma Hogg Ward, had lost her husband only three months before John died. These two women had become acquainted in Whitwick, England and the Ward and Thornock families had for ten years (1844—54) been active members in the Whitwick Branch of the Church. For the most recent 20 years the two families were closely associated in Farmington and Bountiful, Utah and in Bloomington, Idaho. Ann’s two oldest sons had married Emma’s two daughters and both large Thornock and Ward families surrounded these two widows as long as they lived. Ann continued to live in her fine log home. Their young est son, Hyrum James, was married to lovely Matilda Wil son (daughter of famed “Nick’ Wilson who had been captured by Indians as a boy) on February 24, 1885. When their baby, Burton Lorenzo, was born on September 2, 1886, Matilda died the same day. Ann invited her son to bring the baby and live in her home and she cared for the baby until Hyrum married his second wife, Mary Marantha Roberts, on October 6, 1888.

At that time a new, large, one room log home was constructed on the same lot just west of the first home. This became Ann’s home for the remainder of her life. Hyrum and his new wife continued to live in the larger home. Mary Marantha lived less than nine years after their marriage but gave birth to five children. Hyrum never married again.

Ann was always helpful to Hyrum and his family during these trying years. After Mary Marantha died on June 7, 1897, Ann spent much of her time in the care of Hyrum’s young family. Likewise, Hyrum was of great help to his widowed mother who lived so close. Ann continued active in the Bloomington ward and community programs all her life. She especially enjoyed attending conference in Paris with her family. Like most grandmother’s, she loved to pamper and spoil her many grandchildren and bring them little gifts, many of her own making. Her knitting needles were continually clicking away while she visited with her family or neighbors. Almost every Sunday she was a dinner guest in the home of one of her children. Her sons kept her supplied with choice cuts of meat every time they butchered a beef, a mutton or a pig. Their wives and her grandchildren were continually bringing hot bread, cookies, cakes and a hot casserole as they visited with “Grandma.” Ann died peacefully on June 6, 1911; she would have been 91 on June 12. She was eulogized by several lead ers in the Bloomington Ward and nearby communities for her unselfish devotion to the church, to her family and to her neighbors. She was laid to rest beside her husband in the cemetery lot owned by her sons George Henry and Hyrum James. The old wooden grave markers had rotted away, so the family organization installed a new Rock of Ages granite monument for John and Ann on Memorial Day 1976, a loving tribute to their wonderful progenitors.

Ann Bott Thornock, My great-grandmother, lived near her son, Hyrum when I knew her. She lived in a log cabin close to Uncle Hyrum’s log home. She spent her life being concerned about her family. Several of her grandchildren were born in her home. Genevieve, Uncle Hyrum’s daughter, didn’t come to see her as much as Grandmother Ann thought she should so, one day when some people came to visit, Genevieve also came with the visitors and she said, ‘How do you feel?’ In her English brogue she said jokingly: ‘ I feel with my aunds.’” Luella Thornock Peterson, in Thornock Pioneers.

SOURCE: http://www.alfredbateman.org/book/15.pdf

A Document entitled, "John and Ann Bott Thornock," Parents of Hannah T. Hess, from: Thornock Pioneers, Salt Lake Valley Colonizers of Bear Lake Valley, Edited by Clarence Thornock; and further edited by Ronald R. Bateman.

view all 25

John Bott Thornock's Timeline

1841
November 5, 1841
Whitwick, Leicestershire, England
1865
March 10, 1865
Age 23
Farmington, Davis, Ut
1866
March 6, 1866
Age 24
Farmington, Davis, Ut
1868
July 4, 1868
Age 26
Bloomington, Bear Lake, Idaho, USA
1869
October 11, 1869
Age 27
October 11, 1869
Age 27
October 11, 1869
Age 27
1870
September 18, 1870
Age 28
Bloomington, ID, USA
1872
August 25, 1872
Age 30
Bloomington, B-Lake, Id
1875
February 4, 1875
Age 33
Bloomington, Bear Lake, Idaho, USA