John Cargile (Cargill)
|Death:||Died in Wilkes, North Carolina, United States|
|Cause of death:||Fall of a tree in the battle at King's Mountain|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About John Cargile
A Patriot of the American Revolution for Virginia with the rank of Private. DAR Ancestor #: A019121
n.b. NOT a known son of Donald Cargill and Margaret Coupar Cargill (Braune).
- Mar. 1746, CATHERINE RENEAU (1726-1774).
- John Cargyle, b Va.; d. Greene Co., Ga. Served as private under Capt. Porterfield, Col. Daniel Morgan, Va. Continental Line.
- There were several families named Cargill or Cargile in Virginia at the same time. Cornelius Cargill was one. Another was John Cargill whose name changed to Cargile, he moved to Wilkes Co., N.C. Another John Cargill, whose name also changed to Cargile, moved to Georgia. Then there was Rev. John Cargill whose wife was Sarah Hamlin Lowe.
- Roster of Revolutionary Soldiers in Georgia, p. 190
- Howard H. McCall - 1996
have no information on Thomas Cargile's parents, except that his father was John Cargile, a gunsmith, in Wilkes Co., N.C. One John Cargile married a Catherine Reno/Reneau in, I believe, Georgia, but I believe this John and Catherine may not have been Thomas' parents. I am fairly certain that the Peggy Cargile who married William Fletcher was Thomas' sister. The fact that our John Cargile was a gunsmith may be helpful, but there seems to have been several Johns. Also, I believe Thomas had a brother named William, who lived in Hinds Co., Ms. In Jackson Co., Al. (from which Marshall Co. was partly formed) were several other Cargiles, which I feel sure were related, but I haven't determined how. If I find anything about Thomas' parents, I'll post it, and I hope you will post anything you find. Thanks, Lynn Hayes
Here is what I have on John Cargile: Born 1725 in either northern Ireland or Lunenburg County, Virginia; died 8 October 1780 from the fall of a tree during the Revolutionary War in the Battle of King's Mountain; buried in Wilkes County, North Carolina; married Catherine LNU.
Children of John and Catherine Cargile:
(1) John Cargile Jr., born c1745 Halifax County, Virginia; died after 1836 in Haywood County, North Carolina, married Keziah LNU
(2) William Cargile, born 1753/63, Wilkes County, NC; died 10 May 1844, Wilkes County, NC; married Margaret Ashinhurst.
(3) Thomas Cargile, born 30 March 1762 in Virginia; died 10 Sept 1847 in Marshall County, Alabama; married Mourning Killingworth.
(4) Margaret "Peggy" Cargile, born c1757, Virginia; died 6 October 1779, Wilkes County, NC; married William Fletcher II, 6 October 1769.
(5) James Cargile Sr. (my gggg-grandfather), born 1763, Halifax County, Virginia; died 17 June 1830, Overton County, Tennessee, First wife's name unknown (My gggg-grandmother); Second wife: Margaret Magdaline "Maggie" Flowers.
Does this tally with your records? Most of this information is from a lady named Katherine McClure who has done much research on our Cargile family. The last correspondence I had with her was July 25, 1999. At that time her email address was email@example.com Another well-versed Cargile researcher is John Cargile, whose email address in 2000 was firstname.lastname@example.org Other sources include the usual research tools, such as census reports, tax and other legal records, and cemetery records.
John Cargile Sr. 1725 Northern Ireland Catherine LNU c1744 "Lunenburg Co, Virginia" 8 October 1780 "Wilkes Co, North Carolina" John Cargile died from the fall of a tree while fighting in the Battle of King's Mountain during the Revolutionary War. email@example.com
John CARGILE was born in 1718.
Spouse: Mrs. Catherine CARGILE. Mrs. Catherine CARGILE and John CARGILE were married in 1738. Children were: Margaret "Peggy" CARGILE.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Margaret "Peggy" CARGILE was born in 1740 in ,Wilkes,North Carolina. Parents: John CARGILE and Mrs. Catherine CARGILE.
Spouse: William FLETCHER II. Margaret "Peggy" CARGILE and William FLETCHER II were married on 6 October 1760 in ,Wilkes,North Carolina. Children were: James Benjamin FLETCHER.
John Cargile's Timeline
Loudoun, VA, USA
Wilkes County, North Carolina, United States
March 30, 1762
February 14, 1764
August 10, 1780
Wilkes, North Carolina, United States
Wilkes, North Carolina