|Nicknames:||"John Butcher", "John Cook"|
|Birthplace:||St Mary's Parish, Netherbury, Dorset, England|
|Death:||Died in Portsmouth, Aquidneck Island (Present Newport County), Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations|
|Occupation:||Selectman in Dartsmouth, Deputy|
|Managed by:||melinda hahn|
John's Top Matches
About John Cooke
Name: John I COOK 1 2
- Sex: M
- Birth: 30 Mar 1630/1631 in ? Engl 3 4
- Death: 16 MAY 1691 in Portsmouth Newport RI 5 6 7
- Burial: Cook Lot, Glen Rd Portsmouth RI 7
- Note: From Geneal Dict of RI he was a butcher. 1655 freeman.
- 1668 he and David Wilcox were given privilege of running ferry at Pocasset.
- Had an unusual number of negro slaves and several ?Indian boys? which he bequeated to various family members.
John COOK Mar 1630 - 16 May 1691
- BIRTH: Mar 1630, Netherbury, Dorsetshire, England
- BAPTISM: 30 Mar 1630, St. Mary, Netherbury, Dorsetshire, England
- DEATH: 16 May 1691, Portsmouth, Newport, RI
- Father: Thomas COOK
- Mother: Mary
Family 1 : Mary BORDEN
- MARRIAGE: BEF 1651
- 1. Mary COOK
- 2. Elizabeth COOK
- 3. Sarah COOK
- 4. John COOK
- 5. Hannah COOK
- 6. Joseph COOK
- 7. Martha COOK
- 8. Deborah COOK
- 9. Thomas COOK
- 10. Amey COOK
- 11. Samuel COOK
"Thomas Cooke of Rhode Island"
- Jane Fletcher Fiske
- Boxford, MA, 1987; p35
"John Cooke alias Butcher, son of Thomas Cooke alias Butcher, was baptized 30 March 1630 in the parish church of St. Mary, Netherbury, Dorset, England, and died, as John Cook, 16 May 1691 at Portsmouth, R.I., probably of smallpox. He married, probably about 1652, Mary Borden, daughter of Richard and Joan (Fowle) Borden. She was baptized in the parish of Cranbrook, Kent, England, on 13 January 1632/3 and died 23 December 1690 at Portsmouth."
- Crapo, Henry Howland
- New Bedford, Mass.: E. Anthony & Sons, 1912; p.251
"John Borden's sister Mary married John Cook, the son of Thomas Cook of Portsmouth. In 1643 Thomas Cook was received as an inhabitant of Portsmouth and "ingaged with the government" at the same time "propounding for a toll." Whence he came I know not. He must have been fully thirty-five years old when he came to Portsmouth, since his son John was then twelve years old. His wife's name was Mary. ...In 1674 he died leaving a will which is informative as to his descendants."
"The Genealogical Dictionary of Rhode Island"
- John Osborne Austin
- Joel Munsell's Sons, Albany, NY: 1887; pp. 282-285
- Was born in Earles Calne, Essex, England.
- He was christened on 30 Mar 1630 in St. Mary's Church, Netherbury, Dorset, England.
- He died on 16 May 1691 in Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island.
- He was buried in Glen Farm, Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island.
- John married Mary Borden in 1653 in Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island
John Cook, son of Thomas, born in 1631, died in 1691. He was made a freeman in 1655, and was a deputy in 1670. On June 3, 1668, he and Daniel Wilcox were given the privilege of running a ferry at Pocasset. He married Mary.Borden, and they had a family of nine children:
- 1. Mary, who married William Manchester (born 1654, died 1718), and died in 1716;
- 2. Elizabeth, born 1653, who married in 1680 William Briggs (born 1650), and both died in 1716;.
- 3. Sarah, who married Thomas Wait, and died in 1733;
- 4. John, born 1656, who married Ruth Shaw;
- 5. Hannah, who married (first) Daniel Wilcox and (second) Enoch Briggs, and djed in 1736;
- 6. Joseph, who married April 10 (or 19), 1691, Susanna Briggs;
- 7. Martha, who married William Cory;
- 8. Deborah, who married William Almy;
- 9. Thomas, who married Mary Cory, and both died in 1726.
- Name: John Cooke
- Sex: M
- Birth: 30 MAR 1630 in Earles Calne, Essex Co., England
- Death: 16 MAY 1691 in Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- Father: Thomas Cooke b: 13 APR 1600 in Earles Calne, Essex Co., England
- Mother: Rebecca Westcott b: ABT 1602 in Marwood Parish, Devon Co., England
Marriage 1 Mary Borden b: 13 JAN 1632/33 in Cranrock, Kent Co., England
- Married: 1650 in Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- 1. Has No Children John Cooke b: 1652 in Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- 2. Has No Children Elizabeth Cooke b: 1653 in Little Compton, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- 3. Has No Children Mary Cooke b: ABT 1655 in Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- 4. Has No Children Sarah Cooke b: 1658 in of Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- 5. Has No Children Hannah Cooke b: 1659 in Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- 6. Has No Children Martha Cooke b: 1663 in Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- 7. Has No Children Joseph Cooke b: 1664 in of Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- 8. Has Children Deborah Cooke b: 1666 in Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- 9. Has No Children Thomas Cooke b: 1667 in Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- 10. Has No Children Amie Cooke b: 1671 in Rhode Island
- 11. Has No Children Samuel Cooke b: 1671 in Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island
- Name: *John COOKE
- Sex: M
- Birth: BEF 30 MAR 1630 in Netherbury, Dorsetshire, England
- Birth: 13 JAN 1630
- Death: 16 MAY 1691 in Portsmouth, Newport, RI
- Occupation: BET 1670 AND 1683 Selectman in Dartmouth
- Christening: 30 MAR 1630 St. Mary's, Netherbury, Dorset, England
- Note: John Cook.
- Born on 13 Jan 1630 in England.
- At the age of <1, John was baptized in St Mary, Netherbury, Dorset, Eng., on 30 Mar 1630.
- John died in Portsmouth, RI, on 16 May 1691; he was 61.
Will of John Cook of Portsmouth, aged, dated 15 May 1691, proved 25 May 1691, mentions sons John Cook, Joseph Cook, Thomas Cook, and Samuel Cook; daughters mary Manchester wife of William Manchester, Elizabeth wife of William Briggs, Sarah wife of Thomas Wait, Hannah wife of Daniel Wilcox, Martha wife of William Cory, Deborah wife of William Almy, Amy wife of David Clayton, and six other unnamed daughters; granddaughter Sarah Manchester. Overseers George Sisson and Issac Lawton.137
- ca 1652 John married Mary Borden (2850) , daughter of Richard Borden (775) (ca 1595-25 May 1671) & Joan Fowle (15 Feb 1604-15 Jul 1688).
- Born ca 1633 in Kent, England.
- Mary was baptized in Cranbrook, Kent, on 13 Jan 1633.19
- Mary died on 23 Dec 1690 in Portsmouth, RI.
Their children include:
- 1. 3667 i. Elizabeth Cook (1653-Aug 1716)
- 2. 3668 ii. Mary Cook (ca 1654-aft 1716)
- 3. 3669 iii. John Cook (1656-7 Aug 1737)
- 4. 3670 iv. Sarah Cook (ca 1658-aft 28 Mar 1735)
- 5. 3671 v. Hannah Cook (ca 1660-22 Oct 1736)
- 6. 3672 vi. Joseph Cook (ca 1662-21 Mar 1746)
- 7. 3673 vii. Thomas Cook (ca 1664-17 May 1726)
- 8. 3674 viii. Deborah Cook (ca 1666-)
- 9. 3675 ix. Martha Cook (ca 1668-ca 1704)
- 10. 3676 x. Amey Cook (ca 1671-aft 1730)
- 11. 3677 xi. Samuel Cook (ca 1674-)
29 Nov 1652 Know all men by these present, that I, Wesamequen, and Wamsutta my son, have sold unto Mr. William Bradford, Captain Standish, Thomas Southworth, John Winslow, John Cooke and their associates, the purchasers or old comers, all the tract or tracts of land lying eastward from river called Cushenagg, to a certain harbour called Acoaksett, to a flat rock on the westward side of said harbour. And whereas the said harbour divideth itself into several branches the western most arme to be the bound and all the tract or tracts of land from the said western most arme to the said river of Acushenagg, three miles eastward of the same, with all the profits and benefits within the said tract, with all the rivers, creeks, meadows, necks and islands that lye in or before the same, and from the sea upward to go so high that the English may not be annoyed by the hunting of the Indians in any sort of their eattle. And I, Wesamequen and Wamsutta, do promise to remove all the Indians within a year from the date hereof that do live in the said tract.
(History of the Town of Acushnet (original township of Dartmouth), page 10)
Father: *Thomas COOKE b: BEF 13 APR 1600 in Netherbury, Dorsetshire, England c: 13 APR 1600 in St. Mary's, Netherbury, Dorsetshire, England
Mother: Mary Unknown, d abt 1670.
Marriage 1 *Mary BORDEN
- b: 13 JAN 1632 in Cranbrook, , Kent, England
- c: 16 JAN 1632 in Cranbrook, Kent, England
- Married: ABT 1650
- 1. Mary COOK b: 1651 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI
- 2. Elizabeth COOK b: 1653 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI
- 3. Sarah COOK b: 1655 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI
- 4. John COOK b: 1657 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI
- 5. Hannah COOK b: 1659 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI
- 6. Joseph COOK b: 1661 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI
- 7. Martha COOK b: 1663 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI
- 8. *Deborah COOK b: 1665 in Portsmouth, Newport, RI
- 9. Thomas COOK b: 1667 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI
- 10. Amey COOK b: 1669 in Portsmouth, Newport Co, RI
- 11. Samuel COOK b: 1671
John Cooke, alias Butcher's Timeline
March 30, 1629
Headcorn, Kent, England
January 13, 1630
St. Mary's, Netherbury, Dorset, England
January 13, 1630
Netherbury, Dorsetshire, England, United Kingdom
March 30, 1630
Netherbury, Dorset, England
March 30, 1630
Netherbury, Dorset, England
March 30, 1630
Netherbury, Dorcetshire, England
Dorsetshire, England, United Kingdom
Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island
Portsmouth, Newport, R. I.
Portsmouth, Newport, RI