About John Cullick
Captain John Cullick came from Felstead, Co. Essex. He was an original proprietor, Hartford, 1639, and received from the town the land assigned to Jonathan Ince; his home-lot in 1639 was on what is now the East Park, lying between the river and Elm St. He also was granted a lot in the Soldier's Field, for services in the Pequot War. Chosen townsman, 1644; deputy, 1644, 1646, 1647; Magistrate and Secretary of the Colony, 1648, which offices he filled until 1658. His first wife died in 1647, and he married (2) May 20, 1648, Elizabeth Fenwick, sister of Sir George Fenwick. He served as Commissioner of the United Colonies for Connecticut, 1652-1654. Removed to Boston, and was received into the church there, November 27, 1659, with his wife and elder children, Mary and John; died in Boston, Jan. 23, 1662-3. His widow married (2) Richard Ely, of Boston, afterward of Saybrook; died November 12, 1683.
SOURCE: James Hammond Trumbull, editor, The memorial history of Hartford County, Connecticut, 1633-1884, Volume 1 (Boston, Massachusetts: Edward L. Osgood, 1886), page 236. Retrieved: 3 May 2011 from Google Books