John Custis, IV
|Birthplace:||Arlington, Westmoreland Co., VA|
|Death:||Died in Williamsburg, Virginia, United States|
Son of John Custis (III) of Wilsonia and Margaret Custis
|Occupation:||Virginia govenor's council|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching John Custis, IV
About John Custis, IV
Martha Dandridge married Colonel Daniel Parke Custis in 1750 and lived in his Pumunkey River mansion, White House. Custis managed the large New Kent County plantation of his father, Councillor John Custis, who lived at the brick house known as Custis Square in Williamsburg.
Birth: 1678 Virginia, USA Death: 1749 Virginia, USA
Son of John and Margaret Custis. In 1686, he married Frances Parke in Williamsburg, VA. Their son Daniel Parke Custis married Martha Dandridge, who after Daniel's death in 1757, married George Washington.
Parents: John Custis (1654 - 1714) Margaret Michael Custis (1658 - 1687) Spouse: Frances Park Custis (1685 - 1714) Children: Son Custis* Daughter Custis* Daniel Parke Custis (1711 - 1757)*
- Calculated relationship
Inscription: Under this Marble Tomb lies ye Body of the Honorable John Custis Esq of the City of Williamfburg and Parifh of Bruton Formerly of Hungars Parifh on the Eaftern Shore of Virginia and County of Northampton the Place of His Nativity. Aged 71 Years, and Yet lived but Seven Years which was the fpace of time He kept Batchelors houfe in Arlington on the Eaftern Shore of Virginia.
John5 Custis (IV)(of "Arlington") (Margaret4 Michael, Elizabeth3 Thorowgood, Adam2, William1) was born 1678. John died November, 1749. His body was interred November, 1749 in Northampton Co., VA.
He married Frances Parke about 1705. Frances was born about 1685. Frances was the daughter of Daniel Parke. Frances died March 14, 1714 in York Co., VA.
He made a will in Northampton Co., VA, November 14, 1749. John was a Burgess for Northampton County from 1705-1706 and of the College of William & Mary in 1718, member of the Governor's Council from 1727 to 1749 and lived at Williamsburg and Northampton. There are several accounts of John and his wife, Frances in Whitelaw. (Whitelaw, p. 111; Adventures of Purse & Person, p. 261, 272)
John Custis (August 1678–after 14 November 1749) was a member of the Governor's Council in the British Colony of Virginia. Often he is designated as John Custis IV or John Custis, of Williamsburg, to distinguish him from his grandfather, father, and other relatives of the same name. His parents were John Custis (ca. 1654–1714) (usually designated John Custis III or John Custis, of Wilsonia), who was also a Council member, and Margaret Michael Custis. Custis was born at Arlington in Northampton County, Virginia. On 4 May 1706 he married Frances Parke, the elder daughter and heiress of Daniel Parke, governor of the Leeward Islands.
Custis had moved to Williamsburg, Virginia by 1717. There he created a magnificent 4-acre (16,000 m2) garden and corresponded with many celebrated horticulturists and naturalists, including John Bartram, Mark Catesby, and Peter Collinson. Custis served on the governor's Council from 1727 until increasingly ill health forced him to request to be suspended in August 1749. In 1744, John Custis took the extraordinary step of petitioning the Governor and Council to set a slave child free. The petition stated the boy was "Christened John but commonly called Jack, born of the body of his Negro wench, Alice."
He died soon after completing his will on 14 November 1749. At his request, he was buried on the Eastern Shore of Virginia at the Arlington plantation's Custis Tombs. In his will Custis instructed his son, on pain of being cut off with only one shilling, to place on his marble tomb the wording that Custis had "Yet lived but Seven years which was the Space of time he kept a Batchelors [sic] House at Arlington on the Eastern Shoar [sic] of Virginia. This Inscription put on this Stone by his own positive Orders."
His only surviving son, Daniel Parke Custis, was the first husband of Martha Washington.
John Custis, IV's Timeline
October 15, 1678
Arlington, Westmoreland Co., VA
Arlington, Northampton Co., Virginia
October 15, 1711
Queens Creek, James City, Virginia, USA
Arlington, Northampton Co., Virginia
November 14, 1749
Williamsburg, Virginia, United States