John Duncan Campbell, Sr.
|Birthplace:||Drumaboden Townlands, Kilmacrenan Barony, County Donegal, Ulster, Ireland|
|Death:||Died in Bellefont, Fincastle County, Province of Virginia|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for John Duncan Campbell, Sr.
About John Duncan Campbell, Sr.
- Birth: Nov 16 1674 - Londonderry, Londonderry, Ireland
- Death: 1741 - Beverly Manor, Augusta, Virginia
- Wife: Grissel Hay
Born on his father's estate "Drumboden", 7 miles from Londonderry, Ireland. Married in 1695 to Grace Grissell Hay, daughter of Patrick Hay. In 1726, John and Grace settled in Sweet Awe, Dongal Township, Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania. In 1730, They moved to Fincastle Co., Virginia. Bought land in Orange, Augusta Co., Virginia. Grace lived 93 years. Many of their descendants are from Washington Co., Virginia.
They had 10 children:
- 1. Patrick Campbell, Sr., b. 1696, Antrim, Ireland; d. March 17, 1767 in Augusta County, Virginia.
- 2. Arthur Campbell b. between 1697 - 1735
- 3. Catherine Campbell b. between 1697 - 1735.
- 4. John Campbell, Jr., b. between 1697 - 1735 in Drumboden, Ireland.
- 5. Margaret Campbell b. between 1697 - 1735.
- 6. William Campbell b. abt. 1700 in Ulster, Ireland d. 1759 in Augusta County, Virginia. Some records state that this William Campbell married Sarah Gay, and other records state that he did not marry anyone.
- 7. James Campbell b. abt 1704. Had a son named Hugh Campbell Hugh 2nd marriage to Elizabeth Buchanan, has a son with 1st unknown wife named Robert Campbell.
- 8. David "White David" Campbell, Sr. b. March 8, 1705 or 1706 in Drumboden, Ireland d. October 17, 1790 in Washington County, Virginia.
- 9. Robert Campbell, Sr. b. 1708 in Drumboden, Ireland d. December 24, 1810 in Carter's Valley, Hawkins County, Tennessee.
- 10. Mary Campbell b. 1710 m. John Patrick Campbell b. between 1700 - 1720.
- Gen 1. John's Father: Duncan Campbell was born 1645 in Drumboden, Ireland, and died between 1700 - 1725. He 1st married Marjorie Campbell. She was born Bet. 1640 - 1653. He 2nd he married Mary McCoy in 1672. She was born in 1648.
- Gen 2. John's Grandfather: Andrew Campbell was born abt 1609, and died 1717. He married Mary Rich on December 17, 1637, daughter of Henry Rich, Earl. She was born abt 1615.
- Gen 3. John's G-Grandfather: Hugh Campbell was born abt. 1560 in Ireland, and died aft. 1612. He married Mary Graham, daughter of William Graham. She was born Bet. 1580 - 1595.
- Gen 4. John's GG-Grandfather: Patrick Campbell was born abt. 1530 in Inverary, Argylshire, Scotland.
- Gen 5. John's GGG-Grandfather: Duncan Campbell was born Bet. 1490 - 1518 in Inverary, Argylshire, Scotland.
- Gen 6. John's GGGG-Grandfather: Dugal Campbell was born 1480 in Inverary, Argylshire, Scotland.
- Gen 7. John's GGGGG-Grandfather: Colin Campbell III was born abt. 1482, and died October 9, 1529. He married Jane Gordon, daughter of Alexander Gordon and Jane Stewart. She was born August 11, 1479, and died May 9, 1530.
- Gen 8. John's GGGGGG-Grandfather: Colin Campbell II was born abt. 1434. He married Marion Houstoun abt. 1460. She was born abt. 1433.
- Gen 9. John's GGGGGGG-Grandfather: Colin CAMPBELL, SR., 1ST EARL OF ARGYLL was born abt. 1433, and died May 10, 1493. He married Elizabeth Isabel Steward, daughter of John Steward. She was born abt. 1437, and died October 26, 1510.
- Gen 10. John's GGGGGGGG-Grandfather: Archibald Campbell was born Abt. 1394. He married Elizabeth Sommerville. She was born abt. 1413.
- Gen 11. John's GGGGGGGGG-Grandfather: Duncan "NA-ADH" Campbell was born abt. 1373 in Argylshire, Scotland, and died 1453 in Scotland. He married Margaret Stewart, OF Scotland on February 6, 1391 or 1392, daughter of Robert Stewart and Anabelle Drummond. She was born Bet. 1365 - 1380 in Renfrewshire, Scotland, and died March 4, 1459 or 1460 in Scotland. Duncan's date of birth is shown by some sources to be 1390. Margaret's date of birth is shown by some sources to be April 7, 1387. Also, in some sources, her father is shown to be John Stewart. Duncan and Margaret's date of marriage is shown by other sources to be January 17, 1422.
- Gen 12. John's GGGGGGGGGG-Grandfather: Colin "Iongantach" Campbell was born abt. 1344 in Lochow, Argylshire, Scotland, and died 1413 in Scotland. He married Margaret Campbell, daughter of John Campbell. She was born 1348.
- Gen 13. John's GGGGGGGGGGG-Grandfather: Archibald More4 CAMPBELL was born abt. 1310 in Lochow, Argylshire, Scotland, and died bet. 1372 - 1392. He married Isabelle Mary Lamont, daughter of John Lamont. She was born Abt. 1318 in Lochow, Argylshire, Scotland.
- Gen 14. John's GGGGGGGGGGGG-Grandfather: Colin OIG3 Campbell was born in 1280, and died in 1340. He married Helena MOORE. She was born 1285, and died May 2, 1343.
- Gen 15. John's GGGGGGGGGGGGG-Grandfather: Neil "MacCailen More" Campbell was born 1258, and died 1315. He married Mariota Cameron. She was born abt. 1260.
- Gen 16. John's GGGGGGGGGGGGGG-Grandfather: Colin Mor1 Campbell was born 1230, and died 1294. He married Isabel Sinclair or ST. Clair. She was born abt. 1232.
- Grizella Grace Hay Campbell (1677 - ____)
- John Campbell*
- Patrick Campbell (1696 - 1767)*
- David Campbell (1703 - 1790)*
- Robert Campbell (1718 - 1810)*
John Duncan Campbell, Sr.'s Timeline
TITLE: Historical Sketches of the Campbell/Pilcher and Kindred Families including the Bowen, Russell, Owen, Grant, Goodwin, Amis, Carothers, Hope, Taliaferro, and Powell Families
This book is a Preservation Photocopy of an original text.
In England, forfeitures of large estates were declared in Ulster. Duncan Campbell bought out a lease of some of the forfeited lands, his eldest son, Patrick Campbell, afterwards bought out the lease and estate in remainder, thereby acquiring the fee simple title. He may have had other sons and daughters, but he had a son, Hugh Campbell, who inherited his father's estate in Ireland, went there to live about the year 1012(?). He had a son, Andrew Campbell, and he a son, Duncan Campbell, who married Mary McCoy. The children of this pair were five. There may have been others, of whom we have no record. Their names were: Hugh, Mary, John, Robert, and Dugal Campbell.
Nothing authentic is known of Hugh Campbell's descendants, ''Mary Campbell (called Polly) married Moses White. Their son, Moses White, married Mary McConnell. They first settled in Charles County, Pennsylvania, upon their arrival in the Colonies. Later they removed to Eowan County, North Carolina. Moses White married a second time, Eleanor . He had ten children,
See "Sketches of Western North Carolina," by L. C. Hunter, page 202. General "James White's son, the Hon. Hugh Lawson White, was born in 1773, in Iredell County, North Carolina. He was one of the famous men of Tennessee. He was Supreme Judge in 1814, a 'United States Senator in 1826, and but for the bitter opposition of General Andrew Jackson, who was determined to elect his successor to the Presidential office, the probability is very strong that Hugh L. White would have been elected President of the United States
TITLE: The families of Joshua Williams of Chester County, Pa. and John McKeehan of Cumberland County, Pa. : with some allied families
The main part of the following record (Campbell family) is taken from Engle's Pennsylvania Genealogies and County Histories.
JOHN2 CAMPBELL, (Duncan1), born 1621
Children: John 3, born 1656
November 16, 1674
Kilmacrenan Barony, County Donegal, Ulster, Ireland
Drumaboden, Kilmachrenan Co, Ireland
Drumaboden, Kilmachrenan, Donegal, Ireland
Antrim, Antrim, Ireland
Grissell Hay in the U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
Drumboden, Kilmachrenan, County Donegal, Ulster, Ireland