John's Top Matches
About John Fletcher-Campbell
CAMPBELL (UNTIL 1779 FLETCHER), JOHN FLETCHER-. ?-10/12/1806. Ref: 535. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Lieutenant-General.
- Place of Death: Milton House, Canongate, Edinburgh.
- Profession: Soldier, Landowner.
- Appointments Held: Enlisted 1760 later Captain, 4th Regiment of Foot; 1766 Major, 32nd Regiment, Ireland; 1782 Major-General; 1793 Lieutenant-General, 91st Regiment; 1803 Retired to estates at Salton, East Lothian and Boquhan, Stirlingshire.
- Undergraduate Studies: Groningen, Leyden.
- Marital Status: Married (1803) Agnes Threpleton.
- Mother: Elizabeth Kinloch.
- Father: Andrew Fletcher of Milton, Lord Milton SCJ.
- References: Shapin.177; S Devlin-Thorp Scotland's Cultural Heritage, 2, 1981,35.
- Date of Election: 17/11/1783.
- Proposers: Founder Member.
- Service to the RSE: Councillor 1789-96.
- Notes: Born 1727 however there may be confusion between this man and his brother General Henry Fletcher. Shapin gives his date of birth as c1735 and death c1807.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. I. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 158