About John Gennings
John Gennings (Ginnings) was a proprietor "by courtesie of the town," and his home-lot, in 1639, was on the brow of the hill now Asylum Hill, abutting on the highway on the west, on the west field on the east, on Richard Lord's land on the north, and on Nathaniel Bearding's land on the south. He probably died not long after 1640.
i. Nicholas, came in the "Francis," from Ipswich, 1634, aged 22; he also was a proprietor at Hartford, "by courtesie of the town," in 1639, and his home-lot was on the east side of the road to the Cow Pasture; the town voted, Jan. 13, 1639-40, "that Nicholas Genings shall be sent unto to come unto the Towne in a certeaine tyme lymitted and to take up his habitation heer, or else his lotts to returne unto the Townes handes, paying him for the worth of the labour done upon it." October 28,1640, his house-lot "and y' in the Pyne field " were given to Thomas Porter; but he was here shortly after, and owned a house-lot, which he bought of William Adams, of Farmington, "abutting on the highway leading from Thomas Stanton's to the Pound hill'," on the east. He married Mary Bedford. He appears to have left Hartford sometime between 1650 and 1660. Matthew Beckwith bought three parcels of land of him in 1650, apparently all he owned. October 16, 1673, administration was granted to John Ginnings on the estate of his father, Nicholas Ginings, "sometime of Saybrook."
ii. Joshua (probably a son of John) bought land of Thomas Allcock (Olcott), being the western portion of Olcott's home-lot; and he owned also another parcel of land with tenement, part of which he received from the town, and part of which he bought of Olcott, "abutting on the meeting-house lots on the east, on a highway on the south, and on Thomas Olcott's land on the west and north." He married December 23, 1647, Mary Williams; removed to Fairfield about 1656; died there, 1676.
SOURCE: James Hammond Trumbull, editor, The memorial history of Hartford County, Connecticut, 1633-1884, Volume 1 (Boston, Massachusetts: Edward L. Osgood, 1886), page 239. Retrieved: 3 May 2011 from Google Books