Capt. John Goode, II
|Birthplace:||Whitley, Bronwell, Cornwall, England|
|Death:||Died in Rappahannock, Virginia|
Son of Richard G. Goode and Joan Phillips Goode
|Occupation:||Gentleman, Tobacco Farmer|
Matching family tree profiles for John Goode of Whitby, Immigrant
About John Goode of Whitby, Immigrant
- John Goode was born 1625 in Cornwell England as the son of Richard Goode Jr, and the grandson of Richard Goode Sr and Joan Downe. He is recognized as the founder of the well respected Virginia family of Goode. Around 1645 he immigrated to the island of Barbados, but sometime prior to 1660 he came to Virginia. There he settled four miles below Richmond on the James River, calling his estate "Whitby".
- According to the ENCYCLOPEDIA of VIRGINIA BIOGRAPHY, "John Goode married first in Barbados a lady named Macharness, who came to Virginia with him, but soon died leaving a son Samuel. John Goode married second Anna Bennett, who bore him 12 children".
- Parents: Richard GOODE \ GOAD b: 29 MAR 1617 in Urwich, Furness, Lancaster, England & Phoebe HEWES b: ABT 1620 in England
- Abt 1654 to Frances MACKERNESS b: in England
- AFT 1660 Anne BENNETT b: ABT 1640 in Holland
Children of Frances Mackerness and John Goode
- Samuel GOAD b: ABT 1655 in Barbados, B.W.I.
- Robert GOAD b: 1660 in Barbados, B.W.I.
Children of Anne Bennett and John Goode
- Katherine GOAD b: ABT 1661
- Elizabeth GOAD b: ABT 1663
- Abraham GOAD I b: 10 MAY 1667 in Old Rappahanock Co., Virginia
- Susanna GOAD b: ABT 1667
- Anne GOAD b: ABT 1670
- Mary GOAD b: ABT 1672
- Joseph GOAD b: ABT 1675
- Frances GOAD b: ABT 1676
- Thomas GOAD b: ABT1678
- Martha GOAD b: ABT 1680
- Ursula GOAD b: ABT 1681
- John GOAD b: ABT 1683 in Whitney, Virginia
- John Goode The Immigrant came to America with wife in 1649 and settled on the James river near Richmond, Va. He called his home place Whitby Estate after his home town in England. B. W. Duffy found an old letter a quote follows by him:
- "John Goode and Anne Bennet came to America in 1649 and settled on the James near Richmond, VA. (The James River is near what we now call Richmond). They built a house and called the estate "Whitby" after the English town they left. Son Joseph born on the Whitby estate. ...
- Old Rappahannock Co. VA became extinct in 1692 when it was divided into Essex and Richmond counties. Therefore, John d. in Essex Co. or in Richmond Co.
- Virginia Cousins: A Study of the Ancestry and Posterity of John Goode of Whitby, a VA. Colonist of the Seventeenth Century, by George Brown Goode
Pub., by Richmond, VA, 1887, reprint, Bridgewater, VA 1963, 1967.
Frances Goode b: 1664 in Henrico County, Virginia. Katherine Goode b: 1668 in Henrico County, Virginia. Ursula Goode b: 1670 in Henrico County, Virginia. Anna Goode b: 1673 in Henrico County, Virginia. John Bennett Goode b: 1675 in Henrico County, Virginia. Elizabeth Goode b: 1680 in Whitby, Henrico, Virginia. Susannah Goode b: 1687 in Henrico County, Virginia. Joseph Goode b: Aft 1687 in Henrico County, Virginia. Thomas Goode b: Aft 1687 in Whitby, Henrico, Virginia. Martha Goode b: 1693 in Henrico County, Virginia.
Source: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=3196-1373&id=I7238 -------------------- Married in 1648 in Barbados, West Indies.
John Goode of Whitby, Immigrant's Timeline
December 24, 1620
Bronwell, Cornwall, England
Henrico, Virginia, United States
Buckingham, VA, USA
Henrico, Virginia, United States
Henrico County, Province of Virginia
Henrico County, VA, USA