John Randolph Grymes
|Death:||Died in Orange County, Virginia, United States|
Son of Col Philip Grymes and Mary Grymes
|Managed by:||Colleen Rose Keenan|
Matching family tree profiles for John Randolph Grymes
About John Randolph Grymes
Maj. John Randolph Grymes was born March 28, 1745 in Virginia and died there in 1820
Parents: Philip Ludwell Grymes and Mary Randolph.
- in London in 1778 to Susannah Beverly Randolph (1755-1791), daughter of John Randolph and Ariana Jennings.
- John Jennings Grymes, born Abt. July 05, 1780. Baptism: May 07, 1780
- Arianna Grymes born Abt. September 03, 1781. Baptism: March 09, 1781
- Mary Beverley Grymes, born July 12, 1782 in Brampton, England; died May 08, 1859 in Botetourt County, Virginia; married (1) Col Robert West November 30, 1809 in Highgate, Gloucester County, Virginia; married (2) Peter Francisco 1823.
- Charles Wyndham Grymes, born March 26, 1784. Baptism: March 26, 1784
GRYMES, John Randolph, soldier, born in Virginia about 1746; died there in 1820. In 1776 he joined the royal army under Lord Dunmore at the head of a troop of horse that he had himself raised. In a letter to Lord George Germain, Lord Dunmore said that Mr. Grymes was, "from his fortune, position, and strict honor, a valuable acquisition to the royal cause." The same year he was expelled from his estate, and all his negroes, cattle, and personal property fell into the hands of the patriots. He joined "the rangers," a battalion of horse, in 1777, and at the close of 1778 resigned and went to England, where he was agent for prosecuting the claims of the loyalists in Virginia. When the invasion of Napoleon was apprehended the loyalist Americans in London offered, with the king's approval, to form themselves into a company, and Mr. Grymes was appointed ensign. While in London he married his cousin, the daughter of John Randolph, last royal attorney-general of Virginia, and niece of Peyton Randolph, president of the Continental congress. He afterward returned to the United States, settled in Orange county, Virginia, and became a wealthy slave-holder and planter
John Randolph Grymes's Timeline
March 28, 1745
July 12, 1782
Brampton, Middlesex, UK
September 23, 1796
May 23, 1805
Orange County, Virginia, United States