John's Top Matches
About John Hamilton, Min. of St Mungo's
John Hamilton, bapt. 8th Sept. 1713, son of John H., min. of Blackfriars Parish ; educated at Univ. of Glasgow ; ord. to the Barony 8th Sept. 1737; pres. by George II. 20th Dec. 1748; trans, and adm. 16th March 1749 ; Moderator of General Assembly 22nd May 1766 ; D.D. (Glasgow 1776); died 3rd Feb. 1780. He marr.
(1) 7th Dec. 1742, Mary (buried 10th June 1747), daugh. of George Campbell, his predecessor in this parish, and had issue—
- John, buried 10th Jan. 1749
(2) 24th Feb. 1752, Mary (bapt. 12th Nov. 1727, died 26th July 1808), daugh. of John Bogle of Hamilton Farm, and had issue —
- John of Northpark, Lord Provost of Glasgow, born 16th June 1754, died 1827 ;
- George, born 3rd Aug. 1755, died in infancy ;
- Patrick, in Jamaica, born 6th Sept. 1757, died 15th Jan. 1788;
- William, born 28th Oct. 1758, died 18th July 1759 ;
- George, merchant, Glasgow, born 20th Jan. 1760, died Aug. 1837 ;
- Janet, born 17th June 1763, died 30th June 1769 ;
- Margaret, born 14th March 1765, died 7th Aug. 1774 ;
- Mary, born 12th Aug. 1768, died 2nd Aug. 1771 ;
- Sarah, buried 21st Nov. 1785.
SOURCE: Fasti ecclesiae scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the reformation, Vol. III, page 458