John Hastings, of Gressenhall, de jure 9th Lord Hastings
|Death:||Died in Yorkshire, England|
|Place of Burial:||Gressenhall, Norfolkshire, England, United Kingdom|
Son of Sir Edward Hastings, 8th Lord; Bryan de Hastings; Edward de Hastings; Muriel Hastings and Muriel de Hastings (de Dinham)
|Managed by:||Geoffrey David Trowbridge|
Matching family tree profiles for John Hastings, of Gressenhall, de jure 9th Lord Hastings
About John Hastings, of Gressenhall, de jure 9th Lord Hastings
- John Hastings, Esq., Lord Hastings, Sheriff of Norwich, Constable of Norwich Castle & gaol1,2,3,4
- M, #32199, b. circa 1412, d. 9 April 1477
- Father Sir Edward Hastings, Baron Hastings5,6 b. 21 May 1382, d. 6 Jan 1438
- Mother Muriel Dinham5,6 b. 1390, d. b 1 Jul 1427
- John Hastings, Esq., Lord Hastings, Sheriff of Norwich, Constable of Norwich Castle & gaol was born circa 1412 at of Elsing, Gressenhall, & Weasenham, Norfolk, England; Age 26 in 1438.2,3 He and Anne Morley obtained a marriage license on 21 April 1434; Date of Papal Dispensation for being related in the 3rd and 4th degrees. They had 3 sons (Sir Hugh, Sir Edmund, & Robert) & 2 daughters (Isabel, wife of Sir Thomas Bosvile; & Elizabeth, wife of Sir Robert Hildyard).2,3,4 John Hastings, Esq., Lord Hastings, Sheriff of Norwich, Constable of Norwich Castle & gaol left a will on 8 April 1477.3 He died on 9 April 1477 at Elsing, Norfolk, England; Buried in Gressenhall Church, Norfolk.2,3
- Family Anne Morley b. c 1413, d. 1471
- Isabel Hastings+2
- Elizabeth Hastings+2,7,3,8 b. c 1437
- Sir Hugh Hastings, 10th Lord Hastings, Sheriff of Yorkshire+2,3 b. c 1447, d. 7 Jun 1488
- 1.[S9915] Unknown author, The Complete Peerage, by Cokayne, Vol. VI, p. 360/1; Plantagenet Ancestry of 17th Century Colonists, by David Faris, p. 99.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 289-290.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 117.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 183.
- 5.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 289.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 116.
- 7.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 656.
- 8.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 30.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1072.htm#i32199
- John Hastings1
- M, #313176, b. 1410, d. 9 April 1477
- Last Edited=16 Feb 2011
- John Hastings was born in 1410 at Elsing, Norfolk, England.1,2 He was the son of Sir Edward Hastings and Muriel de Dinham.1 He married Anne Morley, daughter of Thomas Morley, 5th Baron Morley and Isabel de la Pole, after 21 April 1434.1 He died on 9 April 1477 at Elsing, Norfolk, England.1,2 He was buried at Gressenhall, Norfolk, England.2
- He succeeded to the title of 9th Lord Hastings [E., 1295] on 6 January 1437/38, de jure.1 He held the office of Constable of Norwich Castle in 1441.1 He held the office of Sheriff of Norfolk from 1474 to 1475.1
- Children of John Hastings and Anne Morley
- 1.Sir Hugh Hastings+1 b. 1437, d. 7 Jun 1488
- 2.Elizabeth Hastings2 b. 1439
- 3.Isabel Hastings2 b. 1444, d. 1 Jun 1490
- 4.Edmond Hastings2 b. 1447, d. 9 Dec 1487
- 5.Robert Hastings+2 b. 1450, d. 1505
- 6.Meryll Hastings2 b. 1453
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 1817. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 2.[S3470] Marian Hastings, "re: Hastings Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 31 Deember 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Hastings Family."
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p31318.htm#i313176
- John HASTINGS (9° B. Hastings)
- Died: Apr 1477
- Father: Edward HASTINGS (8° B. Hastings)
- Mother: Muriel DYNHAM
- Married: Anne MORLEY (dau. of Thomas Morley, 5º B. Morley, and Isabel De La Pole) AFT 21 Apr 1434
- 1. Isabel HASTINGS ( b. 1437)
- 2. Hugh HASTINGS (10° B. Hastings)
- 3. Elizabeth HASTINGS
- 4. Edmund HASTINGS
- 5. Robert HASTINGS
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/HASTINGS1.htm#John HASTINGS (9° B. Hastings)
Lord Hastings, (b. before 6 Jan 1411 d. 9 Apr 1477), de jure 9th Baron, Sheriff of Norfolk, of Gressenhall, Elsing, Fenwick,
m 21 April 1434 Anne Morley (d. 1471, Gressenhall),
daughter of Thomas Morley, 5th Baron Morley (b. bef. 1393 d. 1435) and Isabel de la Pole (d. 1466), daughter of Michael de la Pole (d. 1415), Earl of Suffolk (by Catherine, daughter of Hugh de Stafford, Earl of Stafford)
Sir John Hastings is the 9th Baron of Hastings de jure. He was the Constable of Norwich Castle and the Sheriff of Norfolk. Source: Joseph Hunter (1850). Agincourt: a contribution towards an authentic list of the commanders of the English host in King Henry the Fifth's expedition to France, in the third year of his reign. Cowen Tracts: Newcastle University.
John Hastings, of Gressenhall, de jure 9th Lord Hastings's Timeline
Fenwick, South Yorkshire, UK
January 6, 1411
April 21, 1434
Fenwick Manor, Campsall, Yorkshire, England
Campsall, Yorkshire, England
Elsing, Norfolk, England
Of, Overstrand, Norfolk, England
Elsing, Norfolk, England