|Also Known As:||"Hen Puleston"|
|Birthplace:||Hafod Y Wern, Gwyneddshire, Wales|
|Death:||Died in Denbighshire, Wales|
Son of John Puleston and Alswn ferch Hywel
|Managed by:||Private User|
About John "Hen" Puleston
- Sir Robert Whitney, Sheriff of Herefordshire1,2,3,4
- M, #30436, b. circa 1418, d. circa 6 October 1494
- Father Eustace Whitney, Esq.2,3 d. 1481
- Mother Joan Trussell2,3
- Sir Robert Whitney, Sheriff of Herefordshire was born circa 1418 at of Whitney, Herefordshire, England. He married Constance Touchet, daughter of Sir James Touchet, 5th Lord Audley, Chief Justice & Chamberlain of South Wales and Eleanor Holand, circa 1449; They had 2 daughters (Joan (Jane), wife of Sir Roger Vaughan; & Eleanor, wife of Sir Thomas Vaughn.2,5,3,4 Sir Robert Whitney, Sheriff of Herefordshire married Elsbeth Vaughan, daughter of Thomas Vaughan and Ellen (Ellena) Gethin, circa 1451; They had 4 sons (James, Esq., John, Robert, & Hugh) and 3 daughters (Ellen, wife of John Puleston; Sibyl, wife of Roger ap Richard Vaughan; & Elizabeth, wife of John Pye).2,3 Sir Robert Whitney, Sheriff of Herefordshire died circa 6 October 1494.3
- Family 1 Constance Touchet b. c 1432, d. c 1451
- Jane Whitney+6,3 b. c 1450
- Family 2 Elsbeth Vaughan b. c 1428, d. a 4 May 1525
- Elizabeth Whitney+ b. c 1452, d. b 1495
- Eleanor Whitney b. c 1454
- Joanne Whitney b. c 1456
- James Whitney+ b. c 1465, d. 1500
- 1.[S9397] Unknown author, Some Early English Pedigrees, by Vernon M. Norr, p. 145.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 104.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 190.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 219.
- 5.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 722-723.
- 6.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 709.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1013.htm#i30436
- Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study In Colonial And Medieval Families, 2nd Edition ... By Douglas Richardson
- Pg. 265
- 12. ROBERT WHITNEY, Esq., of Whitney, Herefordshire, Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1474-5, son and heir. He married (1st) CONSTANCE AUDLEY (or TUCHET), daughter of James Tuchet (or Audley), Knt., 5th Lord Audley (descendant of King John), by his 2nd wife, Eleanor, illegitimate daughter of Edmund Holand, K.G., 4th Earl of Kent [see TUCHET 12 for her ancestry]. They had two daughters, Joan and Eleanor (wife of Thomas Vaughan, Knt., of Bredwardine). He married (2nd) ELIZABETH VAUGHAN, daughter of Thomas Vaughan, of Hergest, Herefordshire, by Ellen Gethin, daughter of Dafydd ap Cadwgan ap Phylip Dorddu. They had four sons, James, Esq., John, Hugh, and Robert, and three daughters, Eleanor (wife of John Puleston), Sibyl (wife of Roger ap Richard), and Elizabeth (wife of John Pye). He was attainted as a Yorkist by the Lancastrian Parliament in 1459. ROBERT WHITNEY, Esq., died shortly before 6 Oct. 1494. His widow Elizabeth, was living 4 May 1525. ....
- Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, 2nd Edition ... By Douglas Richardson
- Pg. 190
- 13. CONSTANCE AUDLEY (or Tuchet), married as his 1st wife) ROBERT WHITNEY, Esq., of Whitney, Herefordshire, Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1474-5, son and heir of Eustace Whitney, Esq., of Whitney and Colepychard, Herefordshire by his 1st wife Joan, daughter of William Trussell, Knt. They has two daughters, Joan and Eleanor (wife of Thomas Vaughan of Bredwardine). He married (2nd ELIZABETH VAUGHAN, daughter of Thomas Vaughan, of Hergest, Herefordshire, by Ellen Gethn, daughter of Dafydd ap Cadwgan ap Phylip Dorddu. They had four sons, James, Esq., John, Hugh, and Robert, and three daughters, Ellen (wife of John Puleston), Sibyl (wife of Roger ap Richard Vaughan, of Hergest), and Elizabeth (wife of John Pye). ROBERT WHITNEY, Esq., died shortly before 6 Oct. 1494. His widow, Elizabeth, was living 4 May 1525. ....
- Pg. 560
- 13. WILLIAM GRIFFITH, Knt., of Penrhyn, Caernarvonshire, Esqure of the Body to King Henry VIII, Chamberlain of North Wales, Deputy Justice of North Wales, son and Heir by his father's 1st marriage, born about 1480. He married (1st) Jane Stradling, daughter of Thomas Stradling, of St. Donat's, Glamogan, by Janet, daughter of Thomas Mathew, Esq. [see STRADLING 11 for her ancestry]. They had five sons, William, Edward, Esq., Rhys, Knt., John, and Hugh, and eight daughters, Grace (wife of William Stanley, Knt.), Jane (wife of Thomas Mostyn), Elin/ Elinor (wife of Hugh Conway, Esq.), Catherine (wife of Richard Bulkeley, Knt.), Anne (wife of Hugh Lewis, Esq.), Elizabeth (wife of John Philips, Esq.), Dorothy, and Margaret (wife successively of Peter Mytton, Thomas Griffith, and Hugh Thelwall). He served in the French campaign in 1513, being present at the Siege of Therouanne, the Battle of the Spurs, and the Siege of Rournai. His wife Jane died before 1520. He married (2nd) by marriage settlement dated 2 Aug. 1522 JANE PULESTON, widow of Robert ap Maredudd, of Glynllifon, Caernarvonshire, and daughter of John Puleston, of Hafoyd-y-Wern, Wrexham, and Bersham, Denbighshire, Constable of Caernarvon, Chamberlain of North Wales, by Eleanor, daughter of Robert Whitney, Esq., of Whitney, Herefordshire. They had three sons, William Esq., Rowland, and George [Archdeacon of Anglesey], and two daughters, Mary (wife of Randall Brereton, Knt., and Hugh Cholmondeley, Knt.) and Sibyl (or Isabel). SIR WILLIAM GRIFFITH died in 1531. ...
- PULESTON, John (by 1492-1551), of Caernarvon, Caern. and Bersham, Denb.
- b. by 1492, 1st s. of John Puleston of Hafod Y Wern and Bersham by 1st w. Ellen, da. of Robert Whitney of Whitney, Herefs. m. (1) by 1526, Gaynor, da. of Robert ap Meredydd ap Hwlcyn Llwyd of Glynllifon, Caern., 4s. inc. Robert 5da.; (2) Sioned, da. of Meredydd ap Ieuan ap Robert of Dolwyddelan and Gwydir, Caern., wid. of Edmund Gruffydd of Porthyr-Aur, Caern., 1s. 3da.; 1s. illegit. suc. fa. c.1523. Kntd. by 20 Dec. 1546.2
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/puleston-john-1492-1551
- 2 Sir William Griffith II (d. 1531) of Penrhyn m, (1) Jane (W), d. of Thomas Stradling (d. 1480) of St. Donat's, co. Glamorgan (WG 1400-1500, VIII, 1268; Rice Merrick, Morganiae Archaiographia ed. B LI James (South Wales Record Society, vol. 1, 1983), p. 163) and (2) Jane (W), d. of John Puleston of Hafod-y-wern, Wrexham, and Bersham, co. Denbigh and widow of Robert ap Maredudd of Glynllifon, co. Caerns (WG 1400-1500, VIII, 1268; IX, 1454).
- From: http://welshjournals.llgc.org.uk/browse/viewpage/llgc-id:1277425/llgc-id:1288291/llgc-id:1288328/getText
- Welsh Biograph Online
- (3) A cadet branch of the Pulestons of Hafod-y-wern flourished at Caernarvon for part of the 16th cent. , its founder being the son by his first marriage (to Elin , daughter of Robert Whitney), of John Puleston (‘ Hen ’) , Sir JOHN PULESTON (d. 1551 ), who was sheriff of Caernarvonshire , 1543-4 , Member of Parliament for Caernarvon , 1541-4 , and for Caernarvonshire , 1545-7 and 1547-51 , chamberlain of North Wales , 1547 , and constable of Caernarvon castle , 1523-51 . He m. (1) Gaynor , daughter of Robert ap Meredydd ap Hwlcyn Llwyd of Glynllifon , and (2) Sioned , daughter of Meredydd ap Ieuan ap Robert , of Cesail Gyfarch and Gwydir . From HUGH PULESTON , his son by his second wife, who m. Margaret , daughter and heiress of Hugh Lloyd , of Llwynycnotiau , near Wrexham , were descended the Pulestons of that place. There is evidence that the Rev. EDWARD PULESTON (d. 1621/2 ), second son of this Hugh , who became rector of Burton Latimer, Northants , in 1592 , and ultimately inherited Llwynycnotiau from his childless elder brother, was a confidant of captain John Salisbury of Rûg (see Salusbury of Rûg ), one of the principal conspirators in the Essex revolt of 1601 ; while his younger brother, RICHARD PULESTON , had served under the captain in Ireland . On the death, without issue, March 1677/8 , of Edward 's grandson, JOHN PULESTON , Llwynycnotiau came into possession of his wife's brother, Simon Thelwall , of Plas-y-ward (see Thelwall of Plas-y-ward ), by virtue of a settlement made in 1672 .
- From: http://wbo.llgc.org.uk/en/s-PULE-EMR-1294.html
- John Puleston 'Hen' of Hafod y Wern & Bersham
- m1. Elin Whitney (dau. of Robert Whitney ap Sir Robert)
- 1. Sir John Puleston of Bersham, Constable of Carnarvon Castle (d 1551)
- m1. Gaynor (dau. of Robert ap Meredydd ap Hwlkin Lloyd, of Glyn Llifon)
- A. Robert Puleston of Bersham
- m. Ellin Williams (dau of William Williams of Cochwillan)
- B. Rowland Puleston of Carnarvon (4th son)
- m. Annes (dau of Rowland Griffith of Plas Newydd)
- C. Elizabeth Puleston
- m. John Wynn ap Hugh, of Bodfel
- D. Sibyl Puleston
- m. Ellis ap William Lloyd, of Rhiwaedog
- E. Elin Puleston
- m. Morris ap Eliza, of Clenenney
- F. Jane Puleston
- m1. Edward Griffith of Penrhyn
- m2. Rhys Thomas of Aber
- G. Margaret Puleston
- m. William Lewis of Presaddfed
- H.+ other issue (dsp) - John, William
- m2. Jonet (dau of Meredydd ap Ifan ap Robert, of Cesall Gyfarch)
- J. Hugh Puleston
- m. Margaret (dau/heir of Llwyn y Cnotiau)
- K. Jane Puleston
- m. Rhys Wynn
- L. Ann Puleston
- m. Edward Conwy
- M. Margaret Puleston
- m. _ Royden
- 2. Elizabeth Puleston
- m1. Sir Roger Salesbury of Llyweni
- m2. John Wynne of Melai (a 1577)
- 3. daughter
- m1. John Eyton Vaugan of Rusbon
- m2. John Erddig of Erddig
- 4.+ other issue - Robert, Hugh (d 1566?, vicar of Wrexham), Richard, Lancelot
- m2. Alice Lewis (d 1480, dau of Hugh Lewis of Presadfesdd)
- 8. John Puleston of Tir Mon, later of Hafod y Wern
- m. Catherine Stanley (dau of Piers Stanley of Ewlo Castle)
- Griffith shows the following Jane twice, under both Elin Whitney & Alice Lewis. Accordingly, we are not sure who was her mother.
- 9 Jane Puleston
- m1. Robert Ap Meredydd, of Glynlliffon (ap Hwlkin Lloyd)
- m2. (1520) Sir William Griffith of Penrhyn
- From: http://stirnet.com/genie/data/british/pp/puleston3.php#top
John "Hen" Puleston's Timeline
Hafod Y Wern, Gwyneddshire, Wales
Bersham, Denbighshire, Wales, (Present UK)
Wrexham, Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
Hafod Y Wern, Denbigh, Wales, United Kingdom
Gesford, Denbighshire, Wales, (Present UK)
Bersham, Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom