John "The Welshman" Hewes
|Also Known As:||"John Hewes of Scituate"|
|Birthplace:||Traditionally of , Wales|
|Death:||Died in Scituate, Plymouth , Massachusetts|
|Place of Burial:||Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for John "The Welshman" Hewes
About John "The Welshman" Hewes
Lieut. John Hewes “The Welshman”
- Birth: 1608, of Wales
- Death bet 6 Feb 1671 (will), 22 Feb 1674 (probate) Scituate, Bristol, MA
- Occupation: planter
- Parents: unknown
- Wife: Joan
- Education: signed his deeds by mark
- Religion: Freeman: admitted 3 Dec 1639 [PCR 1:137]
AKA John Herves or Hughes (Heroghs) of Scituate
Children by wife JONE, or JOANNA:
- MARY (perhaps the child born in the spring of 1633) married 29 Dec., 1657, JEREMIAH HATCH (Scituate Records). He was son of William Hatch.
- ABIGAIL, married WILLIAM HATCH, who died prior to 1653. She married, second, THOMAS KING. In 1669, in a petition, she describes herself as widow of William Hatch and daughter of John Hewes. She had a daughter Phebe, aged nearly 16 years in 1669. William Hatch died in Virginia, leaving a will dated 13 Nov., 1653, in which he names wife Abigail and daughter Phebe.
- JOHN, who if of age to bear arms in 1643, would have been born prior to 1628, but as the second John Hewes in the list is not followed by the word junior, nor the first by senior, it is more probable that the persons making the list wrote the father's name twice. John Hewes, Jr., was rated in 1666; although Deane says he died in 1661. Both statements are reproduced without sight of the original records, nor exact references to the record, and are therefore subject to correction. Married Ruth Sawtell.
- JAMES, named in will. "Hewes, John, of Scituate. Will dated 6 Feb 1671, prob. 22 Feb. 1674, beq. to wife Joanna, son James H., & son in law Jeremiah Hatch.".
John Hewes arrived in Scituate in 1632. He built a ‘small plain palisado house’ in Scituate before September 1634, then build a second house in 1636 and sold the first one to John Cooper. (There was another John Hewes, junior to this one, in Scituate, probably the one called ‘the Welshman.’)16
On 1 April 1633 the Plymouth court ordered "John Hews & Jone his wife adjudged to sit in the stocks because the said Jone conceived with child by him before they were publicly married, though in the time of contract."
John Hewes was admitted freeman of Plymouth 6 March, 1637-8, and took the oath 3 Dec., 1639 (Plymouth Records). In 1649 he appears owning lands in Scituate, and in 1648 is called lieutenant (Plymouth Deeds, 66, 192). In 1650, described as "senior" and "planter"; he buys of Humphrey Johnson of Scituate, a planter, a dwelling house and 20 acres, some time the dwelling house of John Williams, Jr., of Scituate (Ibid., 200).
He was surveyor of highways, 1652 and 1653, and constable in 1659. He is mentioned as among the inhabitants of Scituate in 1643, and took the oath of fidelity in 1644.
From New England Historic Genealogical Society Pg.256-257
ii. Jeremiah, bapt. at Wye, co. Kent, 23 July 1626; emigrated with his parents to New England; d. between 1709 or 1710, when he ordered James Torrey to obliterate three lines in his will, and 16 Mar. 1712/13, when the will was proved; m. at Scituate, 29 Dec. 1657, Mary Hewes, dau. of John "the Welchman." She d. between 1713 and 20 Sep 1716, when her will was proved. Jeremiah Hatch was a shipbuilder at Scituate. On 18 Jul 1677 he bought of Phebe Hatch (11, v, 2), granddaughter of his uncle, Elder William Hatch, the homestead of the latter, situated on Kent St., Scituate; and his ownership of this property has led some writers to regard Jeremiah Hatch as a son of Elder William. He was evidently an Anabaptist, as was Rev. Charles Chauncy, minister of Scituate, for only one of his children was bapt. in infancy but several of them were bapt. at the age of 14 or 15 years. Children, b. at Scituate: 1. Mary, b. 14 Feb 1658/9. 2. Jeremiah, b. 31 Aug. 1660. 3. Joanna, b. 21 Mar. 1662/3. 4. Mercy, b. 15 Apr. 1665. 5. John, b. 4 Jan 1666/7. 6. Elizabeth, b. 10 Mar. 1668/9; m. her second cousin, Israel Hatch (11, i, 7). 7. Lydia, b. 5 Dec 1669. 8. Phebe, b. 8 Apr. 1671. 9. Thomas, b. 15 Dec 1672. 10. James, b. 4 May 1674. 11. Anne, b. 6 Oct. 1677. 12. Deborah, b. 24 Mar. 1678/9.
- 16. Robert Charles Anderson, The Great Migration Begins: immigrants to New England 1620-1633, New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, 1995, Three volumes.
- The Pioneers of Massachusetts: A Descriptive List, Drawn from Records of the ... By Charles Henry Pope. Page 228. "Hewes, John, of Scituate. Will dated 6 Feb 1671, prob. 22 Feb. 1674, beq. to wife Joanna, son James H., & son in law Jeremiah Hatch."
- A Genealogical profile of John Hewes
John "The Welshman" Hewes's Timeline
Scituate, (Present Plymouth County), Plymouth Colony (Present Massachusetts)
February 6, 1671
Scituate, Plymouth , Massachusetts
Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States