John Strange (Le Strange)
|Birthplace:||Knokyn, Oswestry, Shropshire, England, United Kingdom|
|Death:||Died in Oswestry, Shropshire, , England|
|Place of Burial:||Hillingdon, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom|
Son of Sir Roger Kynaston, of Myddle & Hordley and Elizabeth de Cobham
|Occupation:||Baron of Strange (of Knockyn) and Monuh|
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy, Vol. ...|
About John le Strange, 8th Lord Strange of Knokyn
- Sir John Strange, 8th Baron Strange, Lord Mohun1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
- M, #27480, b. 20 May 1444, d. 16 October 1479
- Father Sir Richard le Strange, 7th Baron Strange11,12,13 b. 1 Aug 1381, d. 9 Aug 1449
- Mother Elizabeth Cobham11,12,13 d. 10 Dec 1453
- Sir John Strange, 8th Baron Strange, Lord Mohun was born on 20 May 1444 at of Knockyn, Shropshire, England; Age 5 in 1449.2,6 He married Jacquetta Wydeville, daughter of Sir Richard Wydeville, 1st Earl Rivers, Constable of England, Lord High Treasurer and Jacquetta (Jacqueline) of Luxembourg, circa 27 March 1450; They had 1 daughter (Joan, wife of Sir George Stanley, Lord Strange).2,14,5,6,8,9,10 Sir John Strange, 8th Baron Strange, Lord Mohun married Anne Neville, daughter of Sir Edward Neville, 1st Baron Abergavenny and Katherine Howard, after 1463; No issue.15,16,17,18,2,3,6,7,9 Sir John Strange, 8th Baron Strange, Lord Mohun died on 16 October 1479 at age 35; d.s.p.m. Buried at Hillingdon, Middlesex.19,2,6,9
- Family 1 Jacquetta Wydeville
- Joan Strange+20,2,4,5,6,8,9 b. c 1459, d. 20 Mar 1514
- Family 2 Anne Neville b. c 1452, d. a 26 Feb 1481
- 1.[S8527] Unknown author, The Complete Peerage, by Cokayne, Vol. IV, p. 208; Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 2339; The Royal Descents of 500 Immigrants, by Gary Boyd Roberts, p. 177; Plantagenet Ancestry of 17th Century Colonists, by David Faris, p. 108.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 694.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 168.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 17-18.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 93-94.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 126-127.
- 7.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 322.
- 8.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 30-31.
- 9.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 67.
- 10.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 426.
- 11.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 693-694.
- 12.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 125-126.
- 13.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 66-67.
- 14.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 783-784.
- 15.[S147] Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage, Baronetage, and Knightage, 1938 ed., by Sir Bernard Burke, p., 68.
- 16.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XII/1, p. 356; Vol. XIV, p. 597.
- 17.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 93.
- 18.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 235.
- 19.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XII/1, p. 356.
- 20.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 681.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p915.htm#i27480
- John IX Lestrange, 8th Lord Strange (of Knokyn)1
- M, #1038, b. circa 1444, d. 16 October 1479
- Last Edited=13 Dec 2012
- John IX Lestrange, 8th Lord Strange (of Knokyn) was born circa 1444.1 He was the son of Richard Lestrange.3 He married Jacquetta Woodville, daughter of Richard Wydevill, 1st Earl Rivers and Jacquetta de Luxembourg, on 27 March 1450.4 He married, secondly, Anne Neville, daughter of Sir Edward Neville, 1st Lord Abergavenny and Katherine Howard, before 1479.1 He died on 16 October 1479, an only child and heiress, who according to later legal doctrine succeeded in her own right to the Baronies of Strange (of Knokyn) and Mohun: without male issue.4 He died on 16 October 1479.1
- He gained the title of 8th Lord Strange, of Knokyn.1 A prominent Yorkist.4
- Child of John IX Lestrange, 8th Lord Strange (of Knokyn) and Jacquetta Woodville
- 1.Joan Lestrange, Baroness Strange+ b. c 1463, d. 20 Mar 1513/14
- 1.[S8] BP1999 volume 1, page 17. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S8]
- 2.[S3409] Caroline Maubois, "re: Penancoet Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 2 December 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Penancoet Family."
- 3.[S37] BP2003 See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- 4.[S37] BP2003. [S37]
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p104.htm#i1038
- John Le STRANGE (9º B. Strange of Knockin)
- Born: ABT 20 May 1443, Knockyn, Shropshire, England
- Died: 16 Oct 1479
- Notes: The History of Parliament also maintains that John Le Strange had married Jacquetta when he was 6 years of age.
- Father: Richard Le STRANGE (8º B. Strange of Knockin)
- Mother: Elizabeth De COBHAM
- Married 1: Jacquetta WOODVILLE (B. Strange of Knockyn) 27 Mar 1450
- 1. Joan STRANGE (10° B. Strange of Knockin)
- Married 2: Anne NEVILLE (B. Strange of Knockin)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/STRANGE.htm#John Le STRANGE (9º B. Strange of Knockin)
- Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study In Colonial And Medieval Families, 2nd Edition ...
- 12. ELIZABETH BEAUCHAMP, daughter and heiress, born at Hanley Castle, Worcestershire 16 Sept. 1415 (aged 18 in 1436). She married by dispensation dated 28 Aug. 1428 (they being related in the 4th and 3rd degree of kindred) (as his 1st wife EDWARD NEVILLE, Knt., of Birling, Mereworth, etc., Kent, Cuckfield, Sussex, etc., Governor of Leeds Castle and Park, 1451, Privy Councillor, 1454, and, in right of his wife, of Allesley, Warwickshire, youngest son of Ralph Neville, K.G., 1st Earl of Westmorland, 4th Lord Neville of Raby (descendant of King John), by his 2nd wife, Joan Beaufort, legitimated daughter of John of Gaunt, K.G., Duke of Aquitaine and Lancaster, Earl of Derby, Lincoln, and Leicester (son of King Edward III) [see NEVILLE 9 for his ancestry]. They had two sons, Richard and George, Knt. [Lord Bergavenny], and two daughters, Elizabeth (wife of Thomas Grey, Knt.), and Katherine (wife of John Iwardby, K.B.). On the basis of an entail dated 1395/6, his wife, Elizabeth, was excluded from the Lordship and Castle of Abergavenny by her step-father, Richard Beauchamp, 13th Earl of Warwick, and her half-brother, Henry Beauchamp Knt., Duke of Warwick. Edward presented to the church of Stouting, Kent in 1436, 1437, and 1438. he was made an honorary member of the Guild of Merchant Taylors of London in 1436-7 as "Edw. Nevyll, Lord Bergevenny." He was a legatee in the 1440 will of his father. Elizabeth was co-heir in 1447 to her cousin, Edmund Lenthall, Esq. His wife, Elizabeth, died 18 June 1448, and was buried at the Carmelites, Coventry, Warwickshire. Edward married (2nd) by dispensation dated 15 Oct. 1448 (she and his 1st wife being related in the 3rd degree of kindred) KATHERINE HOWARD, daughter of Robert Howard, Knt., of Stoke Nayland, Suffolk (descendant of King John), by Margaret, daughter of Thomas Mowbray, K.G., 1st Duke of Norfolk, Earl Marshal, Earl of Nottingham (descendant of King Edward I) [see HOWARD 10 for her ancestry]. They had cohabited in the lifetime of his 1st wife, and were excommunicated, later absolved. They had two sons, Ralph and Edward, and three daughters, Margaret, Katherine, and Anne. Following the death of Anne, daughter of Henry Beauchamp, Knt., Duke of Warwick, in 1449, Edward Neville had license to enter and possess the Castle, lordship and manor of Abergavenny. He was summoned to Parliament from 5 Sept. 1450 to 19 Aug. 1472, by writs directed Edwardo Nevill domino de Bergevenny Militi. SIR EDWARD NEVILLE, Lord Bergavenny, died 18 Oct. 1476. His widow, Katherine was living 29 June 1478.
- .... etc.
- Child of Elizabeth Beauchamp, by Edward Neville, Knt.:
- i. GEORGE NEVILLE, Knt., Lord Bergavenny [see next].
- Children of Edward Neville, Knt., by Katherine Howard:
- i. MARGARET NEVILLE, married JOHN BROOKE, Knt., 7th Lord Cobham [see WYATT 15].114
- ii. KATHERINE NEVILLE, married ROBERT TANFIELD, Esq., of Gayton, Northamptonshire [see RANDOLPH 16].115
- iii. ANNE NEVILLE, married JOHN STRANGE, Knt., 8th Lord Strange of Knockin, Lord Mohun [see STRANGE 13].
- 13. .... etc.
John le Strange, 8th Lord Strange of Knokyn's Timeline
May 20, 1443
Knokyn, Oswestry, Shropshire, England, United Kingdom
October 16, 1479
Oswestry, Shropshire, , England
Hillingdon, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom
Grafton, Northamptonshire, , England