John "Jock" Law's Top Matches
About John "Jock" Law Hume
- Name: Mr John Law Hume
- Born: Saturday 9th August 1890
- Age: 29 years
- Occupation: Musician
- 2nd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 250654
- Cabin No.: E
- Died in the sinking.
- Body recovered by: Mackay-Bennett (No. 193)
- Buried: Fairview Lawn Cemetery Halifax Nova Scotia Canada on Wednesday 8th May 1912.
Mr John "Jock" Law Hume, 21, lived at 42 George Street, Dumfries.
Hume died in the sinking; his body was later recovered by the MacKay Bennett. He was buried at Fairview Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
NO. 193 Male — Height, 5 ft. 9 in.; Weight, 145 lbs Age, about 28 Hair, Light curly; clean shaven Marks, None
CLOTHING - Light rain coat; uniform jacket with green facing and vest; purple muffler.
EFFECTS - Cigarette case; silver watch; empty purse; knife with carved pearl handle; mute; brass button with "African Royal Mail"; English lever watch.
The members of the orchestra were employed by a Liverpool firm (C.W. and F.N. Black) who had contracts with all of the steamer companies to provide musicians. Until 1912 they were paid 6 pounds and 10 shillings a month plus a monthly uniform allowance of 10 shillings. Then the rates were cut to 4 pounds a month with no uniform allowance.
On 30th April, 1912, Jock Hume's father received this short and unwelcome note from Blacks:
We shall be obliged if you will remit us the sum of 5s. 4d., which is owing to us as per enclosed statement. We shall also be obliged if you will settle the enclosed uniform account.
C.W. & F.N. Black
The uniform account included items such as: lyre lapel insignia (2 shillings), sewing White Star buttons on tunic (1 shilling), and the total bill was 14 shillings and 7 pence.
- Record of Bodies and Effects (#193)
- Record of Bodies and Effects: Passengers and Crew, S.S. Titanic (Public Archives of Nova Scotia)
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mr W. Theodore Ronald Brailey
- Mr Roger Marie Bricoux
- Mr John Frederick Preston Clarke
- Mr Wallace Henry Hartley
- Mr Georges Alexandre Krins
- Mr Percy Cornelius Taylor
- Mr John Wesley Woodward
John "Jock" Law Hume's Timeline
August 9, 1890
April 15, 1912
At sea - Titanic casualty
October 18, 1912