John M. Rogers
|Also Known As:||"James DUKE"|
|Birthplace:||Chesapeake Bay, Rappahannock County, Virginia Colony|
|Death:||Died in King and Queen County, Province of Virginia|
Son of Giles Rogers, of Virginia and Rachel Rogers
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for John M. Rogers
About John M. Rogers
John Rogers was born in Cheasapeak Bay Virginia aboard the HMS George.
- Father: Giles Rogers b: ABT 1643
- Mother: Sarah Iverson b: ABT 1650
- Marriage 1 Mary Byrd b: 1695
- John Rogers b: 1717
- Giles Rogers b: 1719
- George Rogers b: 11 JUN 1721
- Byrd Rogers b: ABT 1723
- Ann Rogers b: 21 OCT 1728 in King and Queen Co., VA
Re: Mary BYRD - James DUKE - John ROGERS controversy Posted by: Alexani (ID *****6305) Date: August 24, 2010 at 12:41:17 In Reply to: Re: Mary BYRD - James DUKE - John ROGERS controversy by Bill Davidson of 5596
This is the information I have found on the Bird/Rogers connection...
John Rogers (b. 1680) was married in 1716 to Rachel Eastham (b. 1695) are probably distant cousins to one another.
There are two "Rachel" Easthams in this genealogy, but they are not the same person. They are in two different generations.
John's (b. 1680) parents: Giles Rogers (b. 1643) and Rachel Eastham (b. 1645)
Rachel's (b. 1695) parents: George Eastham (b. 1663) and Mary Bird (b. 1673)
- *Notes: Rachel Eastham (b. 1645) and George Eastham (b. 1663) may have shared the same grandparents.
- Notes: Mary Bird (b. 1673) is NOT a "WESTOVER" Byrd. This Mary Bird is a "POPLAR GROVE" Bird of the Robert "I" Bird (b. 1637 New Kent Co., VA) family - Family Plantation named "POPLAR GROVE" in King & Queen Co., VA. This Mary Bird's brother is Robert "II" "The Sheriff" Bird (b. 1681). Reference sources are Last Will and Testaments filed in Virginia archives.
- Notes: It is possible that the WESTOVER Byrds and the POPLAR GROVE Birds share a common ancestor buried many generations back in England but they were not considered close relations in Virginia.
- Romantic Speculation: There are those who claim that John Rogers' marriage to Rachel Eastham was his second marriage. At the time of their marriage in 1716 John was 36 years old and Rachel was 21, so he certainly had plenty of time to make a first marriage. These same claimants look to Mary Byrd (b. 1682/83) of WESTOVER to be his first wife. However, there are NO primary sources to substantiate this claim and there are NO children of issue for this couple noted in any primary source material. There is evidence per the "Secret Diaries" of Col. Wm. Byrd II (Mary Byrd's older brother) indicating that the WESTOVER Mary Byrd was married into the Duke family. All the children born to John Rogers (b. 1680) starting in 1617 were certainly the children of his wife, Rachel Eastham (b. 1695). There are no known records of any marriage of John Rogers (b. 1680) to anyone other than Rachel Eastham (b. 1695).
John M. Rogers's Timeline
Rappahannock County, Virginia Colony
King & Queen C H, Culpeper County, Virginia, United States
King and Queen, Virginia
Frederick County, Province of Virginia
Virginia, United States
October 21, 1728
King and Queen County, Province of Virginia
King and Queen County, Province of Virginia, (Present USA)
Province of Virginia