|Birthplace:||Ottery St. Mary, Devon, England|
|Death:||Died in Swansea, Bristol , Massachusetts|
|Place of Burial:||Barrington, Bristol, Rhode Island, USA|
Son of Edward Martin; Richard Martin; Judith Martin and Elizabeth Martin
|Managed by:||Sally Thomas|
About John Martin, of Swansea
John was the child of Edward Martin and Judith Upham. John was married to Joanna Esten on April 26, 1671 in Swansea, Massachusetts. John and Joanna had the following children. Jemima Salisbury, Melatiah Martin, John Martin, Ephraim Martin, Ann Round, Robert Martin, Manasseh Martin, Joanna Short, Ebenezer Martin, and Judith Luther.
- Encyclopedia of Massachusetts, biographical--genealogical by Cutter, William Richard
- Robert Martin, of Badcombe, England, aged forty-four years, with wife Joane, same age, embarked from Weymouth, England, before March 20, 1635, and settled in Weymouth, Massachusetts. He was admitted a freeman, May 13, 1640. In 1645 he was in Plymouth Colony, where he was selectman in 1643, and later removed to Rehoboth. His will was dated May 6, 1660, bequeathing to wife Joane and children ; to brother, Richard Martin, and his children in England ; brother Abraham and cousin Roger Clap, of Dorchester. The widow Joane's will, in 1668, mentions "sister Smith, cousin Clap and the children he had by my kinswoman, Jane Clap ;" kinsman, John Ormsby ; cousins Grace, Thomas and Jacob Ormsby ; brother Upham's children at Malden, and others.
- (I) Richard Martin, brother of Robert Martin and of Abraham Martin, was born in England, and came to New England about 1663. He also settled in Rehoboth, coming thither from England to accept the bequest of his brother, Robert. He made his will when very aged. It was proved May 7, 1695. He bequeathed to sons Richard and Francis, and Richard's eldest son, John, "who are in old England ; to son John, now with me ;" to John Ormsby, the eldest son of his daughter Grace, and to daughters, Grace Ormsby and Annis Chaffee. Abraham Martin also bequeathed to the children of brother Richard and of John Ormsby. Richard Martin was surveyor of highways in Rehoboth in 1669.
- (II) John, son of Richard Martin, was born in England, and came to this country with his father about 1663, settling in Rehoboth, in that part afterward Swansea, and was one of the founders of the Baptist church at Swansea. He was a weaver by trade and a farmer, was appointed constable, June 6, 1671, surveyor
- of highways, June 3, 1673, and June 2, 1685. In 1673 he bought land on New Meadow Neck, near Hundred Acre Cove, and built a house north of Central bridge. He died March 21, 1713-14, aged eighty years. He married, April 26, 1671, Joanna Esten, born June 1, 1645, in Herefordshire, England, daughter of Thomas Esten, who came with Rev. John Myles from England to Rehoboth, and settled at North Providence. Children of John and Joanna (Esten) Martin: Jemima, born May 29, 1672 ; Melatiah, April 30, 1673 ; John, March 15, 1674; Ephraim, mentioned below; Ann, November 14, 1678; Manasseh, February 2, 1681 ; Johanna, February 15, 1683 ; Ebenezer, February 16, 1684; Judith, November 13, 1686.
- (III) Ephraim, third son of John and Joanna (Esten) Martin, was born February 7, 1676, in Rehoboth, and settled on a farm in that town, north of the burying ground, where he died June 25, 1735. He married, October 18, 1699, Thankful Bullock, born June 27, 1681, died July 22, 1762, daughter of Samuel and Thankful (Reneff) Bullock. Children: Edward, born October 22, 1700; Thomas, May 18, 1702; Ephraim, April 19, 1704; Deliverance, September 3, 1706; Experience, 1707; Hopestill, January 16, 1710, Judith, March 28, 1714; Seth, February 24, 1716; Lydia, July 17, 1718; Benjamin, mentioned below; Elizabeth.
- (IV) .... etc.
- The Spirit of '76: Devoted to the Principles, Incidents, and ..., Volumes 10-12
- .... etc.
- MARTIN, JOHN, Swansey; had John, born 15th March, 1675, and the Colonial Records transcription, of Swansey, give him by wife Joan, Joanna, born 15th February, 1683.
- .... etc.
- A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: Showing Three Generations of ... (1861) Vol. III
- .... JOHN, Swansey, had John, b. 15 Mar. 1675, and the Col. Rec. transcr. of Swansey rec. gives him by w. Joan, d. Joanna, 15 Feb. 1683. JOHN, Rehoboth, m. 27 June 1681 .... etc.
John Martin, of Swansea's Timeline
February 16, 1635
Ottery St. Mary, Devon, England
March 15, 1665
Swansea, Bristol County, Massachusetts
May 29, 1672
Swansea, Bristol, Mass
April 30, 1673
Swansea, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA
February 7, 1676
Swansea, Massachusetts, United States
November 14, 1678
Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States
September 9, 1679
Rehoboth, Bristol Co., Ma
February 2, 1681