Matching family tree profiles for John Milligan, Sr.
About John Milligan, Sr.
From Joseph Payne's page on John Milligan (m. Isabella Doak):
1. John MILLIGAN I,
- b. August 1751 in Down Co., Ireland,
- d. February 5, 1838,
Marriage 1 Isabella DOAK married September 28, 1786 in Augusta County, VA. They had 5 children, most probably born in Virginia.
- 1. Mary MILLIGAN, b. 1781
- 2. Hannah M. MILLIGAN, b. 1783
- 3. Hugh MILLIGAN, abt. 1786
- 4. Elizabeth MILLIGAN b. 1787
- 5. Sarah MILLIGAN, b. 1790
Marriage 2 Sarah ROBINSON married about 1793
- 1. James MILLIGAN, b. 1794
- 2. Ruth MILLIGAN b. 1797
- 3. John MILLIGAN II, b. 1799 in Tridelphia Ohio Co., VA, d. February 12, 1867 in Lawrence Co., AR, m. 1818 to Eda A. JEFFERY.
- 4. George MILLIGAN, b. 1802
- 5. Lydia MILLIGAN, b. 1804
Correspondence between Skip Magyar and Joseph Payne:
I'd like to correct a mistake that hass been floating around on Rootsweb and other places for years. It concerns Isabel/Isabella Doak and her husband John Milligan. It also appears at the following link on one of your webpages: http://www.joepayne.org/doak.htm
The error is where it says:
1. John MILLIGAN I, b. August 1751 in Down Co., Ireland, d. February 5, 1838, m.September 28, 1786 in Augusta County, VA to Isabella DOAK. They had 10 children, most probably born in Virginia.
Isabel Doak did marry a John Milligan (MILLIKEN), just not THIS John Milligan. This John Milligan, born in County Down, Ireland in Aug. 1751, is my 4th great grandfather. My line goes through John's oldest daughter as shown below:
- Gen 1: John Milligan and Sarah Robinson
- Gen 2: Mary Ann Milligan and George Giffen
- Gen 3: Robert Giffen and Sarah Hinkle
- Gen 4:William Harvey Giffin and Sarah Griffith
- Gen 5: William Piper Giffin and Linnie Dale Hepburn
- Gen 6: (Parents)
- Gen 7: Joseph B. "Skip" Magyar, Jr. (me)
Essie Milligan from Caddo Co, OK and Jane Carson Topoly of Newburg, PA did a tremendous amount of Milligan research in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Prior to this research, it was believed that John Milligan's first wife was Isabella Doak. This was based on a marriage record for a John Milligan and Isabella Doak in Berkeley Co, VA in the 1786. Essie disproved this theory when she found John and Isabella Doak Milligan's tombstones in rural Tennessee. Different John!. Besides which the time frame would not fit with the birth of John's children or his location before coming to Ohio Cointy, (W)VA.
I have attached a recent photo (Feb. 1, 2006) I took of my ancestor, John Milligan's gravestone in Stone Church Cemetery in Elm Grove, West Virginia. The flag holder says 1776 signifying John's service in the Revolutionary War. According to his Revolutionary War pension application, John emigrated to America in his 20th year, landed at New Castle, DE, lived in PA for two years, then moved to Berkeley Co, VA where he resided until 1792 when he removed to Ohio Co, VA. On 6 Feb 1792, John purchased from William and Jinny Wilson, for 75 £, 100 acres of land on Peter's Run in Ohio Co, VA.
Stone Church Cemetery is only a few miles from where I live in Shadyside, Ohio. Next to John is a stone that reads, Sarah, wife of John Milligan, but the dates are unreadable. John and his wife Sarah Robinson had 10 children, the oldest of which, as I mentioned, was Mary Ann Milligan who was born about 1780 in Berkeley County, VA. She married George Giffen and they moved from Ohio County, VA (West Virginia today) to Belmont County, Ohio around 1800. They were my 3rd great grandparents.
I'd be happy to supply any addition information you need.
Skip Magyar, Shadyside, Ohio
Enlisted August 1775. Private for 1 year in Captain Hugh Stephenson's company, Colonel Rawlings regiment.
1776 - Served 5 months under Captains Smyser & Swope in Colonel Swope's regiment
1781 - Served 2 months in Captain Isaac Evans' Company
Records in the State Library of Virginia show that John Milligan enlisted in the Army in 1775 for 1 year and at the end of that time, re-enlisted for three years. Was discharged after that and in Jan. 1781, re-enlisted and served to the end of the war.
John Milligan, Sr.'s Timeline
County Down, Ulster, Ireland
Berkeley County, VA
Triadelphia, Ohio County, Virginia (Present West Virginia), United States