About John Morris
John Morris (Morrice) was one of the settlers to whom land was granted "by the town's courtesie" His lot was next south of Nathaniel Barding's in the West Field (on the brow of Asylum Hill). Very little is known of him. He died in 1668, will dated November 13-22; inventory, Jan. 15, 1668-9; will names his wife, sons Joshua, John not yet 21; daughter Mary; brother Robert. His widow, Martha, married (2) Roger Jepson, of Saybrook, and (3) Thomas Allyn, of Middletown. John Morrice, age about 14, was killed by the fall of a log from a wood-pile, December 2, 1681. Mary, married November 25, 1680, John Tillotson, of Saybrook. Robert Morris of Hartford, his brother, died November 19, 1684, leaving no children, but mentions a number of people in his will, Stanleys, Andrews, Spencers, and Diggins, who may have been relatives.
SOURCE: James Hammond Trumbull, editor, The memorial history of Hartford County, Connecticut, 1633-1884, Volume 1 (Boston, Massachusetts: Edward L. Osgood, 1886), page 252. Retrieved: 3 May 2011 from Google Books