John Noyes (1645 - c.1691)

‹ Back to Noyes surname

View John Noyes's complete profile:

  • See if you are related to John Noyes
  • Request to view John Noyes' family tree

Share

Birthplace: Newbury, Essex, MA, USA
Death: Died in Newbury, Essex, MA, USA
Managed by: Michele McAffee
Last Updated:

About John Noyes

   John grew up in Newbury. He first shows up in town records when he testified in court on 27 Apr 1669 in a case that involved John Woolcott and Peter Tappan on one hand and Nathaniel Cheny on the other. He took the freeman's oath on 9 Jan 1674 with his brother Cutting. John was a house carpenter who lived in the "farms district". His house was built in 1677. His home lot originally belonged to John Hull. One of his descendants, Luther Noyes, lived in this house during the late 1800's. In 1678 John Noyes, John Hale and Francis Tharley fixed the bridge over the Newbury River. John was a juror on 27 Sep 1681. He died in 1691 at the age of 45. He is mentioned in his father's will as deceased. His widow Mary and son Nicholas settled his estate (personal £309, real estate £246). The account was made on 28 Sep 1694. An inventory of his estate (on 22 Sep 1693) by Tristraim Coffin, Abraham Adams and Joseph Pike revealed his lifestyle. He had a house and a barn on a 12 acre homestead. He had 20 acres of meadow and 30 acres of upland. Animals included 2 oxen, 7 cows, 25 sheep and a horse. He had 2 feather beds, a chest, a table and chairs. Kitchen items included iron pots, a frying pan, tubs, barrels, wooden ware, napkins and table cloths. Tools included carpenter's tools, husbandry tools, a spinning wheel, a loom and an iron. Other items found in the inventory included clothes, books, arms, pewter and brass ware.
   From "Genealogical Record of Noyes descendents": John purchased property for home in "Farms District" after former owner, John Hull, died in 1670. "The house, a substantial ediface, was built in a style unusual for a farmhouse in those early days. The front hall is waniscotted, and a handsome staircase with the elaborately curved balusters, these fashonable for the first class mansions, leads to the second story. The kitchen...was huge even for the period; an ox could have roasted whole in its capacious recess. This homestead was descended from John of the second generation, to his son and grandson Daniel, to Maj. Samuel, to Samuel his son and was owned in 1879 by his son, Luther Noyes.
   He was listed in the 1688 Newbury tax roll at 5+13 acres. He was listed as deceased in his father's will of 1700 and also in the entry for his daughter's marriage in 1700. Sources of information: Vital records of Newbury, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849; New England Historical and Genealogical Register (vol:page).
   "Old Newbury": In 1677 John Noyes bought of Edmund Moores, Jr. eleven acres of land that had formerly belonged to John Hull, late of Newbury, and was known as Hull's Plain. John Noyes died in 1691, leaving a family of ten children. He built one half of the house still standing in 1912, the other half built by a later generation.
   NEHGR: Declared freeman 9 Jan 1673/74.
   Noyes Pedigree: He died in Newbury, intestate, 1691/92. 
view all 21

John Noyes's Timeline

1645
January 20, 1645
Newbury, Essex, MA, USA
1668
November 23, 1668
Age 23
Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts
1671
May 18, 1671
Age 26
Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
1673
October 23, 1673
Age 28
Newbury, Essex, MA
1675
December 10, 1675
Age 30
Newbury, Essex, MA, USA
1678
February 19, 1678
Age 33
Newbury, Essex, MA
1679
December 24, 1679
Age 34
Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts
1681
October 28, 1681
Age 36
Newbury, Essex, MA
1684
November 15, 1684
Age 39
Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts
1688
May 22, 1688
Age 43
Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts