About John Rockwell, III
Left Plymouth, England on 20 Mar 1630 and Arrived 30 May at Boston on the "Mary and John".
Travelled by foot from Boston to found Dorchester
Moved to Windsor in 1637
Married Sarah Ensign in 1651, who died in 1659 (Sic: The John Rockwell who married Sarah Ensign was the son of Deacon William Rockwell, and not John Rockwell, Jr.)
Data from "A Genealogy of the families of John Rockwell of Stamford, CT 1641 and Ralph Keller of Hartford, CT 1638" by James Boughton, dated 1903, p 3.
It has been supposed that John Rockwell, the founder of the family of which this account is given, was from the vicinity of Dorchester England where the Rockwell name was well known and came to America about the time mentioned in the History of Stamford by Huntington, page 25. To Huntington's History perhaps more than to any other source we are indebted for the early history of the immigrant John Rockwell of Stamford Conn. The date of the first record referring to John Rockwell is December 7 1841 where he is named as one of the first settlers and received for his home lot two acres and a parcel of woodland.
In the same history is found a list of first settlers of Stamford containing his name and again on page 40 there is found a record of John Rockwell being a witness in court there at that date. At a town meeting held at Stamford Feb 19 1667 it was voted that John Rockwell Sr be granted liberty to mow and have the grass of Norton Island as long as he shall live in Stamford. He is also mentioned on the Land Records in 1669 as conveying his land in two parcels to one person his house and home lot and to another his land after which he removed to Rye, Westchester County, NY where he died in 1676.
The Whitney Genealogy page 22 speaking of Daniel Keeler calls him the son of John and Hittabel Rockwell Keeler and a grandson of JOHN ROCKWELL Sr, one of the first settlers of Stamford Conn and again on page 81 a note speaking of John Rockwell Sr records his death as having taken place at Rye Westchester County NY in 1676, and also on page 1259 in referring to the said John Rockwell Sr says that his wife was probably Elizabeth Weed, daughter of Jonas Weed of Stamford Conn.
Sailed on the Mary and John 1630
From Descendants of William Rockwell, Generation 4 (webcached 1/8/2013):
First John Rockwell
6. JOHN4 ROCKWELL (JOHN3, JOHN2, WILLIAM1)
- was born Bef. 1640 in STAMFORD, CONNECTICUT (Sic: Probably Wethersfield as the first settlers of Stamford arrived from there only in 1641... Wethersfield itself was settled in 1634 by Puritans from Watertown, the latter settled by Richard Saltonstall of the Winthrop Fleet colonists in 1630), and
- died 1673 in STAMFORD, CONNECTICUT.
- He married ELIZABETH WEED Abt. 1658 in CONNECTICUT, daughter of JONAS WEED and MARY SCOFIELD.
Children of JOHN ROCKWELL and ELIZABETH WEED are:
- 1. i. THOMAS5 ROCKWELL,
- b. Abt. 1660;
- d. June 1712, FAIRFIELD, CONNECTICUT;
- m. SARAH RESCO, December 09, 1703, NORWALK, CONNECTICUT.
- 2. 10. ii. JONATHAN ROCKWELL,
- b. Abt. 1665, NORWALK, CONNECTICUT;
- d. June 19, 1731, RIDGEFIELD, CONNECTICUT.
- 3. 11. iii. JOSEPH ROCKWELL,
- b. Abt. 1670
Second John Rockwell
7. JOHN4 ROCKWELL (DEACON WILLIAM3, JOHN2, WILLIAM1)
- was born July 18, 1627 in ENGLAND, and
- died September 13, 1673 in WINDSOR, CONNECTICUT.
- He married (1) SARAH ENSIGN May 06, 1651.
- He married (2) DELIVERANCE HAWES August 18, 1662,
- daughter of RICHARD HAWES and ANN.
Children of JOHN ROCKWELL and SARAH ENSIGN are:
- 1. i. SARAH5 ROCKWELL,
- b. 1652
- m. DAVID HALL
- 2. ii. RUTH ROCKWELL,
- b. 1654
- m. DANIEL MIX
- 3. iii. LYDIA ROCKWELL,
- b. 1656
- m. JOSHUA ATWATER
Children of JOHN ROCKWELL and DELIVERANCE HAWES are:
- 1. iv. JOHN5 ROCKWELL,
- b. 1663
- 2. v. HANNAH ROCKWELL
- b. 1665
- 3. 12. vi. JOSEPH ROCKWELL
- b. July 08, 1668, WINDSOR, CONNECTICUT
- d. October 27, 1742, MIDDLETOWN, CONNECTICUT.
- 4. vii. ELIZABETH ROCKWELL,
- b. 1670
- m. JAMES WARD
John Rockwell, III's Timeline
Fitzhead, Somerset, England
June 10, 1621
July 18, 1627
Dorhester, Suffolk, Massachusetts
July 18, 1627
., Dorchester, Dorchestshire, England
Stamford, Fairfied, Connecticut
Stamford, New Haven Colony (Present Fairfield County), (Present Connecticut)
August 18, 1662
Dorchester (within present Boston), Suffolk County, Massachusetts Bay Colony