John Russell, WS
Son of John Russell of Roseburne, WS and Bethia Russell
|Managed by:||Alisdair James Smyth|
About John Russell, WS
Russell, John. 22/01/1753-02/12/1792. Ref: 1318. Male.
- Profession: Writer to the Signet.
- Appointments Held: WS 1774; Clerk to the Signet; Extraordinary Director, Royal Bank of Scotland.
- Training: Apprentice to John Russell of Roseburne (father).
- Marital Status: Married (1778) Eleanora Robertson.
- Family: Son John Russell FRSE 1780-1862.
- Mother: Bethia Campbell d.1810.
- Father: John Russell of Roseburne WS.
- Other Family: Son-in-law of Principal William Robertson FRSE 1721-1793.
- References: History of the Society of Writers 308; Shapin 409; S Devlin-Thorp Scotland's Cultural Heritage, 2, 1981, 77;
- Register of The Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet 1983, 277.
- Date of Election: 17/11/1783.
- Proposers: Founder Member.
- Edinburgh Philosophical Society: Residential.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. II. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 811
"Russell, John - Apprentice to, and eldest son of John Russell of Roseburne, W.S. - Born 1753. Died 2nd December 1792. Married 8th June 1778, Eleanor, daughter of the Rev. William Robertson, D.D., Principal of Edinburgh University."
SOURCE: A history of the Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet, page 177
- Burke, Bernard, Sir. A genealogical and heraldic dictionary of the peerage and baronetage of the British Empire. London : Harrison 1869. page 967