John Russell, WS
|Birthplace:||Dunkeld, Perthshire, Scotland|
|Managed by:||Alisdair James Smyth|
Historical records matching John Russell, WS
About John Russell, WS
Russell, John. 22/02/1780-30/01/1862. Ref: 1319. Male.
- Place of Birth: Dunkeld, Perthshire.
- Profession: Writer to the Signet.
- Appointments Held: WS 1803; Third Clerk 1815-30, Jury Court; Principal Clerk of Session 1842-58.
- Training: Apprentice to James Dundas.
- Marital Status: Married (1810) Cecilia Murray d.1833.
- Family: son Alexander James Russell, FRSE 1814-87.
- Mother: Eleanora Robertson.
- Father: John Russell,FRSE 1753-92.
- Other Family: Grandson of Principal William Robertson FRSE 1721-93.
- References: History of the Society of Writers 308; Proc Roy Soc Edinb, 5, 1862-6, 32-3; Footnote to Scott's "Journal" I, entry for January 24, 1827, p.345; Register of The Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet 1983, 277.
- Memberships: Highland Society(1806).
- Date of Election: 03/02/1823.
- Proposers: James Russell, 2/12/1822, (ms Proposal, NLS Acc. 10,000/43).
- Service to the RSE: Councillor 1857-9, Treasurer 1838-57.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. II. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 811
"Russell, John - Only son of John Russell, W.S. Born 22nd February 1780. Died 30th January 1862. Married 10th June 1810, Cecilia, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel John Murray, son of William Murray of Touchadam, Stirlingshire. Third Clerk to Jury Court, 1815-30. Principal Clerk of Session, 9th May 1842-58."
SOURCE: A history of the Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet, page 177