|Also Known As:||"John Shastwell"|
|Birthplace:||Ipswich, Suffolk, England|
|Death:||Died in Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts, United States|
|Managed by:||Ken Jon Schonberg|
Matching family tree profiles for John Shatswell
About John Shatswell
Mr, SHATSWELL died about 1574 in Ipswich, Suffolk, England. He was born in Ipswich, Suffolk, England. In an article by David A. Macdonald titled "A new look at the Corwin and Shatswell Families" in the Register (NEHGR) 150:180 (Apr 1996).
Discusses a Chancery court proceeding in 1627 against the administrator of the estate of widow Judith Shatswell of Sibbertoft, Northhamptonshire, England, who had died more than a decade earlier.
The document indicates that widow Judith Shatswell was the mother of these children: John, b. c1597 Margaret, b. c1598, m. Matthew Curwen, Theophilus, Sibyl, b. c1601, and Mary, b. c1605.
Macdonald thinks that Theophilus was born between Margaret and Sibyl because of the order of their mention in the suit, and thinks the age given in the suit is wrong. The age would make him born c1608.
There is no mention of a William Shatswell, although there is reference to "two of ye uncles and neere kinsemen". So it looks like we can say that Mary (Shatswell) (Webster) Emery was from Sibbertoft, and her mother was named Judith
- 1 Elizabeth Shatswell Birth: 1600 Sudbury, Suffolk, England Death: October 16, 1638 Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusettes Wife of Capt. Joseph Weld
- 2 Margaret Shatswell Birth: circa 1598 Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts Wife of Mattias Curwen
- 3 Sybil Shatswell; birth: circa 1601 England
- 4 Richard Shatswell; Birth: 1602 Ipswich, Suffolk, Massachusetts, Death: October 1, 1638 (36)
- Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts
- 5 John 1603 Shatswell; Birth: 1603 Ipswich, Suffolk, England Death: 1647 (44) Ipswich, Suffolk, Mass Husband of Joanna <[-?-] or Tuttle>
- 6 Mary Shatswell Birth: 1606 Ipswich, Suffolk, , England Death: April 28, 1694 (88) Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts Wife of John Webster, Sr. and John Emery, III
- 7 Judith Shatswel birth: 1612 Ipswich, Suffolk, England Death: 1642 (30) Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
- 8 Theophilus S Shatswell Birth: 1625 Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom Death: August 17, 1663 (38) Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts, United States Husband of Susannah Bosworth
- 9 William Shatswell Birth: 1612
- John Shatswell
- M, #567, b. circa 1574, d. 11 February 1646
- John Shatswell Surname also spelled Chatwell and Thetwall. The entire family may have been from Sibbertoft, Northamptonshire.1 He See Weis, 6th Ed., p. 44 for possible ancestry of Judith (RN=568). He was born circa 1574 at of Ipswich, Suffolk, England. He married Judith Dillingham circa 1595. John Shatswell died on 11 February 1646.2
- Family Judith Dillingham b. c 1578, d. 17 Apr 1648
- Agnes Shatswell+ b. c 1596, d. 25 May 1683
- Elizabeth Shatswell+ b. c 1600, d. 16 Oct 1638
- Richard Shatswell b. c 1602
- John Shatswell, Deacon+ b. c 1604, d. 1647
- Curwin Shatswell b. c 1608
- Margaret Shatswell+ b. c 1608
- Theophilus Shatswell b. c 1609, d. 7 Aug 1663
- Mary Shatswell+2 b. 1610, d. 28 Apr 1694
- 1.[S14] Unknown author, New England Marriages Prior to 1700, by Clarence Almon Torrey., 3rd Supplement, p. 72.
- 2.[S11674] Genealogy.com, Ancestors of Stanley Elmer Allen.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p19.htm#i567
- DILLINGHAM, Judith
- b. 1578 Ipswich, England
- d. 17 APR 1648 Ipswich, Essex, Mass.
- Marriage: ABT 1604 Suffolk, England
- Spouse: SHATSWELL, John
- b. 1574 Ipswich, England
- d. 1642 Ipswich, Essex, Mass.
- SHATSWELL, Elizabeth b. 1600
- SHATSWELL, Richard b. 1602
- SHATSWELL, John b. 1604
- SHATSWELL, Mary
- SHATSWELL, Curwin b. 1608
- SHATSWELL, Theophilus
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_76.htm#217
Also, of Bitteswell, Leicester, England.
HUSBAND: John SHATSWELL (Satchwell) Born in 1574 in Ipswich, Suffolk, England. He married Judith. He died 1606.
He married Judith in Suffolk County, England.
WIFE: Judith. Born 1578. She married John Shatswell [F30062]. She died 1613.
Children of John Shatswell[F30062] and Judith [F30063]:
- John Shatswell. Born (about 1597-S2)(in 1598-S1) at Ipswich, Suffolk, ,England. He married (1) unknown. He married (2) Joanna. He died Feb1647 at Ipswich, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
- Margaret Shatswell. Born about 1598 (S2). She married Matthew Curwen.
- Theophilus Shatswell.
- Sybil Shatswell. Born about 1601.
- Mary Shatswell. Born about 1605; of Sibbertoft, Northhamptonshire, England. She married (1) John Webster [F15030]. She married (2) John Emery.
SOURCES: [S1]. http://www.smokykin.com/ged/f002/f23/a0022350.htm. QUOTES as sources: a) Historical and Genealogical Shatswells of Ipswich., No 1.', Augustine Caldwell, p 1-4. b) The New England Historical and Genealogical Register', Volume 150 April 1996, p 181, 185. [S2]. http://www.family2remember.com/Bentley/d45.htm
NOTE below some of this information belongs to his son John who was b. 1603 Ipswich, Suffolk, England or Sibbertoff, England Joanna <[-?-] or Tuttle>
From the following website: http://www.cyberancestors.com/cummins/ps15/ps15_322.htm
FIRST RESIDENCE: Ipswich
EDUCATION: He signed his will. His inventory included 4 Bibles, £1, and several books, valued at 15s.
ESTATE: On 26 April 1648 a deed was recorded in which Josias Cobham and Mary his wife and John Ilsly and Sarah his wife sold to "John Shatswell, late of Ipswich, yeoman," twenty acres of meadow and upland in Ipswich; "his land was sold about eight years since, & now in possession of Richard Shatswell".
In his will, dated 11 February 1646 and proved 30 March 1647, "John Satchwell of Ipswich though weak in body" bequeathed to "my son Richard" all my houses and land, except part of the twenty-five acre lot from the upper end of the plowed land to the sea, and sixteen acres of pasture beyond Muddy River towards Rowley, which parcels of land I give to "Johan my wife" for her life and to her issue if she have any, and for want of such issue, then to return to Richard "my son his heirs and assigns." "If Richard shall not marry with Rebecca Tuttle which is now intended then my wife shall have her being in the house ... during her life unless she see good to dispose of herself otherwise." If both Richard and Johan die without issue, then the land remaining should "be equally divided between my brother and sisters' children that are here in New England"; to "my brother Theophilus Satchwell" my best cloth suit and coat; to "my brother Curwin" my stuff suit; to "my sister Webster" seven yards of stuff and a young heiffer; "my wife" sole executrix.
The undated inventory of the estate of John Satchwell was not totaled, and included £307 in real estate: "one dwelling house and homestall with barn, cow house, orchard yard with the appurtenances", £100; and "several parcels of land, meadow and upland" £207. He also had "a swarm of bees," £1; and "in England upon bond," £18 .
BIRTH: About 1597 .
DEATH: Ipswich between 11 February 1646/7 (date of will) and 30 March 1647 (probate of will).
MARRIAGE: (1) By about 1627 _____ _____.
(2) Say 1642 Joanna _____. She married (2) about 1650 JOHN GREEN of Charlestown. "Joanah Shatswell, widow," died at Ipswich on 17 April 1673, apparently having reassumed the surname of her second husband. CHILD: With first wife
i RICHARD, b. about 1627 (deposed aged 52 in 1679 ); m. probably soon after 1647 Rebecca Tuttle, daughter of Richard and Anne (Taylor) Tuttle.
ASSOCIATIONS: The problem of the relationships among the various Shatswell immigrants to New England has puzzled many very good genealogists, and for many years the best account has been that prepared by Walter Goodwin Davis in 1945 . Quite recently, however, David A. Macdonald has unearthed a document which resolves most of the outstanding questions . The document in question, a chancery suit of 1627, shows that there were five Shatswell siblings: John, Theophilus, Margaret (who was already married to Matthew Curwen), Mary and Sibyl. The fate of Sibyl is not known, but the other four came to New England, Mary having married John Webster who settled in Ipswich. This leaves us without any demonstrated connection between this family and William Shatswell of Ipswich. Furthermore, WILLIAM SARGENT did not marry a Shatswell sibling, and his connection with Theophilus Shatswell must have come about in some other manner.
COMMENTS: According to some sources, Anne (Taylor) Tuttle, the widow of Richard Tuttle, married as her second husband Edward Holyoke . His daughter Mary married John Tuttle, son of Richard and Anne (Taylor) Tuttle, and on this basis Edward Holyoke in his will made a bequest to "my son Tuttle"; this designation of Tuttle is adequately explained as that of son-in-law, so this alone doe not prove the marriage to John Tuttle's mother.
In his will John Shatswell named "Johan my wife," and then stated that "if Richard shall not marry with Rebecca Tuttle which is now intended then my wife shall have her being in the house ... during her life unless she see good to dispose of herself otherwise"; this language suggests Rebecca Tuttle was in the Shatswell household because of her connection with the second wife of John Shatswell. After the death of John Shatswell, Joanna married as his second wife JOHN GREEN of Charlestown, who made a bequest to "Joanna Shachwell," the grandchild of his wife. In 1664 Mark Quilter was taken to court for alleged abuse of Rebecca, Richard's wife. One of the documents filed in that suit was a deposition of "Johanah Greene" who stated that Goodwife Quilter had "diverse times come to my daughter's house," referring to Rebecca, the wife of Richard Shatswell. Both these records could be interpreted to mean that Rebecca was Joanna's own daughter, which would be the case if she were the widow of Richard Tuttle. Mary Lovering Holman accepted the marriage of John Green and Richard Tuttle's widow, but took no notice of marriage to John Shatswell .
Two Boston land records resolve these conflicts. In the 1645 Boston Book of Possessions Anne Tuttle held three parcels of land . On 8 September 1648 "Edward Holiock & Anne his wife" of Boston sold to Richard Woodward of Watertown "the windmill that is now standing in Boston ... as also the land whereon it doth stand being granted & given to Mr. Richard Tuttle now deceased"; Edward Holyoke signed this deed and "Anne Tuttell" made her mark . Anne (Taylor) Tuttle married as her second husband Edward Holyoke, and was his wife when the widow of John Shatswell was married to JOHN GREEN .
SHATSWELL, SHOTSWELL, SATCHELL, or SATCHELLS, JOHN, Ipswich 1633, was fined, 3 Sept. by our Gen. Ct. for distemper in drink, but 5 yrs. aft. half of the fine was remit. and he was much more correct in deportm. d. 1647, and his will was pro. 30 Mar. It names w. Joanna, s. Richard, br. Theophilus, br. Curwin, and sis. Mary Webster, w. of John. His wid. m. John Green of Charlestown, outlived him, and died 17 Apr. 1673.
Marriage Date: About 1599
Marriage Place: Ipswich, Essex, MA
- Elizabeth , F (~1600-1638)
- Mary , F (~1606-1694)
- Theophilus , M (1609-1663)
- Richard , M (~1627-1694)
Last Modified 21 Mar 2007
Created 3 Jun 2012 using Reunion for Macintosh
John Shatswell's Timeline
Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Ipswich, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom
Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts, United States