John Smith (Carrington), Knight
|Also Known As:||"Sir John Carrington Smythe of Essex"|
|Birthplace:||Rivenhall, Essex, England|
|Death:||Died in Witham, Essex, England|
Son of Thomas Carrington, Knight and Margaret de Ros
|Managed by:||Gwyneth McNeil|
Matching family tree profiles for John Smith, Knight
About John Smith, Knight
In 1399 when King Richard II was deposed, Michael’s descendant, John of Carrington had to flee the country and changed his name to (back to??) Smith and later returned to England.
John Carrington Smythe, of Essex ,consinder to be the founder of 'Templar'of Cressing Temple, son of Sir Thomas Carrington, Knight, fled to France, upon the disposal of Richard II, for taking up arms with Earls of Huntington,Salifbury and Kent against Henry IV and when he returned to England, changed his name to "John Smith" to covered his identity and avoid prosecution.
(casthree originally submitted this to Stokes Family Tree on 30 Sep 2010.)
- Thomas Carrington 1330(5) – 1380
- Margaret Roos (De Ross) 1340– 1383
Spouse ?2)Anne Geron -Gordon 1358 –
Spouse ?1) Millicent Elizabeth Laingham 1390(1360) –
- Jane, Margaret,Thomas...
- Sir Thomas Smith 1446 -1507
- Thomas VIIII Smith 1380 – 1446
- Hugh Carrington Smith 1394(1420) – 1485
- John Smith 1399 –
- Robert Carrington Smith 1395Corthither, Cornwall,England – 1490 HOLDITCH, EXETER, DEVONSHIRE, ENGLAND
- Christopher Smith 1408 –
- Sir John Carrington Smythe 1447 –
- (William) Smith(Smythe) 1435-1467
- Lineage thus far confirmed from a period source refered to as: "Carrington or Smyth of co. Warwick, England" The source state, "Visitation of Warwick and Leicester, confirmed by the Deputies of Camden, Clarenceux, to Francis Smyth, of Wooton, grandson of Sir John Smyth, and 5th in descent from John Carrington or Smith, died in 1446, who was 5th in descent from - Sir Michael Carrington - Standard Bearer to Richard I - died in the Holy Land." Soarce from:
casthreeoriginally submitted this to Stokes Family Tree on 30 Sep 2010.
- Sir John Carrington1,2
- M, #20028, d. 1446
- Father Sir Thomas Carrington d. 1383
- Mother Margaret Ros
- Sir John Carrington married Isabel (Elizabeth) de Beeston, daughter of John de Beeston and Margaret de Hulgreve, circa 1421.3,2 Sir John Carrington died in 1446.
- Family Isabel (Elizabeth) de Beeston b. c 1391, d. 17 Oct 1455
- Emma Carrington+4,3,2
- 1.[S6189] Unknown author, Lineage and Ancestry of HRH Prince Charles by Paget, Vol. II, p. 417.
- 2.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 521.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 308.
- 4.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 151.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p667.htm#i20028
- The visitation of Cheshire in the year 1580 (1882)
- Brereton of Malpas. Chart Pg.43-44
- Randoll Brereton. = Emma Heiress to John Carington of Carington.; ch: Sr Randoll (m. Elenor Dutton) Brereton.
- Sr Randoll Brereton of Mallpas was made Knight Banerett at the Siege of Tirwin and Tourney and was after Chamberlaine of Chester. = Elenor d. to Piers Dutton of Dutton [In a later hand.]; ch: Sr Randoll (m. Elenor Egerton & Isabell Butler, Sr Ric., John, Tho. (a Preist), Peter (a Preist), (Pg.44 Sr Roger (m. Katherine Brereton), Wm. (m. Elizabeth Somerset), Rob't, Sr Urian, Elenor (m. Sr William Brereton), Jane (m. Sr Jn0 Hanmer), Anne (m. Jn0 Harcourt & Jn0 Persall), Elizabeth (m. Rich. Cholmeley) Brereton.
- Breretons of Cheshire, 1100 to 1904 A. D (1904)
- Sir Randle de Brereton II., of Ipstone and Malpas, married Joanna, daughter of William Holford. By her he had two sons : 1, Randle Brereton, founder of the Eccleston and Wettenhall branch : 2, Owen Brereton, of Bar Hill, the ancestor of Brereton of Coddington. His second wife was Katherine, daughter of William Butheley, of Eaton, Cheshire. By her he had three sons: 1, Randle, his heir, of Ipstone and Malpas; 2, Ralph Brereton, of Iscoyd Castle, Shropshire, who had one daughter, wife of John Holford ; 3, Bartholomew Brereton, of Grafton, who had three sons : a, Bartholomew ; b, John ; c, Humphrey, of Malpas, the historian of the War of the Roses.
- Randle Brereton III., of Ipstone, died in Burgundy, France. His wife was Emma, daughter and heiress of John Carington, of Carington. By her he had two sons and two daughters : 1, Randle, his heir; 2, Humphrey, of Malpas; 3, Ellen, wife of Nicholas Bruyn, of Tarwin, Cheshire ; 4, Eleanor, wife of Philip de Egerton, afterwards wife of Sir William de Brerton IX., of Brereton.
- Sir Randle Brereton IV., of Ipstone and Malpas ; Chamberlain of Chester 1506 to 1532; Knight of the Body to Henry VII. and Henry VIII. ; made a Knight Banneret by Henry VIII., at Boulonge, for Terrouenne and Tournay ; built the Brereton Chapel in Malpas Church in 1522, in which he was buried in 1532. He married Eleanor, daughter of Sir Piers Dutton, of Halton Castle, Cheshire. By her he had nine sons and three daughters: 1, Randle, his heir; 2, Richard, founder of the Tatton branch ; 3, John, founder of the Norfolk branch ; 4, Thomas ; 5, Peter ; 6, Roger, founder of the Halton branch ; 7, William, succeeded his father as Chamberlain of Chester ; was beheaded by Henry VIII. with Queen Anne Boleyn, in 1536; 8, Robert; 9, Urian, founder of the Handford branch. The daughters were : 1, Anne, wife of John Harcourt ; afterwards was wife of John Pershall, of Hordesley ; 2, Elizabeth, wife of Richard Cholmondeley ; afterwards was wife of Randle Mainwaring, of Over Peevor, Cheshire; 3, Jane, wife of Sir Thomas Hanmer, of Hanmer, Flintshire. (See Burosham branch).
- Randle Brereton of Malpas
- m. Alice Ipstones (dau of William de Ipstones)
- 1. Randle Brereton of Ipstones & Malpas
- m. Katherine Bulkeley (dau of William Bulkeley of Eaton)
- A. Randle (Randoll) Brereton
- m. Emma (heir of John Carington of Carington)
- i. Sir Randle Brereton of Ipstones, Shoclach and Malpas (a 1522, Chamberlain of Chester)
- m. Eleanor Dutton (dau of Piers Dutton of Hatton)
- a. .... etc.
- Main source(s): BEB1841 (Brereton of Honford (both main & supplement)), Visitation (Cheshire, 1580 & 1663, Brereton of Malpas) with support/input as reported above
- From: Stirnet.com
- John Carrington[1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
- Born Abt 1430 of, Carrington, Bowdon, Cheshire, England
- 1. Emma Carrington, b. Abt 1470, of, Carrington, Bowdon, Cheshire, England
- 2. Hamlet Carrington, b. Abt 1470, of, Carrington, Bowdon, Cheshire, England
- 3. Thomas Carrington, b. Abt 1470, of, Carrington, Bowdon, Cheshire, England
- 1.[S2436] #4569 Welsh Genealogies AD 1400-1500 (1983), Bartrum, Peter C. (Peter Clement), (18 volumes, with supplements containing additions and corrections. Aberystwyth: National Library of Wales, 1983), FHL book 942.9 D2bw., vol. 2 p. 279.
- 2.[S1506] #560  The History of the County Palatine and City of Chester (1882), Ormerod, George, (2nd edition. 3 volumes. London: G. Routledge, 1882), FHL microfilms 496,910, 547,521 and 824,313-824,31., vol. 2 p. 377, 686;.
- 3.[S2693] #710 Collections for a History of Staffordshire (1880-), Staffordshire Record Society, (Annual periodical. Birmingham: William Salt Archaeological Society, 1880-), FHL book 942.46 B4sc., vol. 1 p. 301;.
- 4.[S1096] #798 The Wallop Family and Their Ancestry (1928), Watney, Vernon James, (4 volumes. Oxford: John Johnson, 1928), FHL book Q 929.242 W159w; FHL microfilm 1,696,491 ., p. 136;.
- 5.[S1657] #1274 A History of the Ancient Parish of Leek in Staffordshire, Including Horton, Cheddleton and Ipstones (1883), Sleigh, John, (London: Demrose & Sons, 1883), FHL microfilm 476,966 item 3., p. 208;.
- From: https://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I37852&tree=Welsh
John Smith, Knight's Timeline
Rivenhall, Essex, England
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
June 25, 1446
Witham, Essex, England
Rivenhall, Essex, England
Carrington, Cheshire, England, (Present UK)
Ivor Bucks, England