About John Stanley, Sir Knight
- Sir John Stanley, Sheriff of Staffordshire1,2,3,4,5
- M, #77325, b. circa 1420, d. 29 June 1476
- Father Sir Thomas Stanley, Sheriff of Warwickshire, Leicestershire, & Staffordshire6,7 b. c 1392, d. 13 May 1463
- Mother Maud (Matilda) Arderne6,7 b. 2 Jul 1396, d. bt 1430 - 1432
- Sir John Stanley, Sheriff of Staffordshire was born circa 1420 at of Elford, Staffordshire, England; Age 40+ in 1463; and adult by 1446.1,2,4 He married Cecily Arderne, daughter of Ralph Arderne and Katherine de Stanley, in 1428; Year of Dispensation when they were children. They had 1 son (John, Esq.).8,9,2,4 Sir John Stanley, Sheriff of Staffordshire married Elizabeth Vernon, daughter of Sir Richard Vernon, Sheriff of Staffordshire, Nottinghamshire, & Derbyshire, Speaker of the House of Commons, Treasurer of Calais and Benedicta Ludlow, before 1446; They had 2 sons (Thomas; & Sir Humphrey) & 4 daughters (Maud, wife of Sir John Ferrers, & of John Agard, Esq; Alice, wife of Sir John Melton; Katherine; & Isabel, wife of Sir Hugh Peshale).9,2,4 Sir John Stanley, Sheriff of Staffordshire married Anne Horne, daughter of Robert Horne, Alderman of London and Joan Fabian, after 4 August 1471; No issue.10,2,3,4,5 Sir John Stanley, Sheriff of Staffordshire died on 29 June 1476 at of Elford, Staffordshire, England; Buried at Elford, Staffordshire.9,2,3,4,5
- Family 1 Cecily Arderne b. c 1425, d. b 1446
- John Stanley, Esq.+9,2,4 b. c 1445, d. 22 Nov 1508
- Family 2 Elizabeth Vernon b. c 1430, d. a 4 Aug 1471
- Alice Stanley+2 b. c 1454, d. 1493
- Isabel Stanley+1 b. c 1460
- Family 3 Anne Horne b. c 1440, d. 12 Jul 1505
- 1.[S11576] A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies of England, Ireland, and Scotland, by John Burke, Esq. and John Bernard Burke, Esq., p. 406.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 105-106.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 453-454.
- 4.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 487-488.
- 5.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. III, p. 393-394.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 104-105.
- 7.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 486-487.
- 8.[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, Family History Archives, SLC.
- 9.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 284.
- 10.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 350-351.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2573.htm#i77325
- John STANLEY (Sir)
- Born: 1423, Elford, Staffordshire, England
- Died: 1474
- Buried: St. Peter's Church, Elford
- Notes: His first marriage was by special dispensation when he was aged just 5 years. He Finished Chantry and added South aisle to Elford Church. A Member of Parliament in 1446 and Sheriff of Staffordshire in 1460. He was created a Knight Banneret on the field at the Battle of Tewkesbury in 1471
- Father: Thomas STANLEY
- Mother: Matilda De ARDERNE
- Married 1: Cecilia De ARDERNE 1428, by dispensation
- 1. John STANLEY (Sir)
- Married 2: Matilda VERNON AFT 1447
- 2. Humphrey STANLEY (Sir Knight)
- 3. Alice STANLEY
- 4. Catherine STANLEY
- 5. Isabel STANLEY
- Married 3: Anne HANSACRE AFT 1447 (m.2 Sir William Norreys)
- Married 4: Dorothy LEGH BEF 1476
- 6. Roger STANLEY
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/STANLEY3.htm#John STANLEY (Sir)1
-------------------- Born in Elford in 1423, Sir John Stanley was married three times. The first was in 1428 when at the age of only 5 years old and with special dispensation he married Cecile de Arderne. Eventually they had a son, Sir John Stanley (1447-1508). Sir John Stanley was a member of parliament in 1446. He then married Isabel daughter of Sir Richard Vernon of the Peake, Derbyshire, sometime after 1447. They had a son, Sir Humphrey of Pipe and three daughters Alice who later married John Melton, Catherine and Isabel who married Sir Hugh Peskell in about 1490. John also married a third time to Dulcia Leigh, daughter of Mr. Leigh of Baguly. They also had a further son, Roger Stanley (who later held the lease of some land in Nether Alderley). He died in 1474 and was buried in St. Peter's Church, Elford. He was succeeded by his eldest son, also Sir John Stanley.
John Stanley, Sir Knight's Timeline
Elford, Staffordshire, , England
1428 by dispensation
Elford, Staffordshire, England
Staffordshire, , England
June 28, 2002
December 5, 2002