John Traine, Sr.
|Also Known As:||"Trayne", "Trane", "Train", "Traine"|
|Birthplace:||Glasgow, Glasgow City, Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Death:||Died in Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts, present United States|
Son of James Traine, I and Isabella Orr
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for John Traine, Sr.
About John Traine, Sr.
John Trane, 25, and Margaret Dix, 18, were on an 18 April 1635 list of those to be transported to New England on the "Susan and Ellen"; they were to travel as servants of Percival and Elinor Green
Last Will and Testament of John Trayne
In the Name of God Amen - The last Will & Testamt. of John Trayne of Watertown in the Count. of Middx. in the Massachusetts Colony in New England. First. I give & bequeathe my soul to God ye gave it me, & my body to the Earth from whence it came.
Secondly I give & bequeaths my loving wife Abigail Train five ponds a year to be paid her halfe in money & th' other halfe in good merchantable pay during her widowhood, & all such goods as she brought with her & two pr. of sheets.
Thirdly I give & bequeaths to my loving son John Trayne, that house, barn, orchard, lands & meadow which he now injoys with all rights, privileges & apertenances whatsoever & halfe the pasture lands belonging to the house ye I now live in.
4. 1 give to my son Thomas Trayne ye house & land which I now live in with barne & orchard, except halfe the pasture wch. I have given to my son John Trayne as is above specified.
5. All my remote land & meadow I give to my two sons John Trayne & Thomas Trayne to be equally divided between them.
6. I give & bequeath to my Daughter Elizabeth Stratton twenty shillings to be paid her within one year after my decease.
7. I give & bequeaths to my daughter Rebecca Basto twenty shillings to be paid to her within one year after my decease.
8. I give & bequeathe to my daughter Sarah Cole twenty Shill. to be paid to her within one year after my decease.
9. I give to my loving daughter Abigaill Towning twenty shill to be paid her within one yeare after my decease:
10. I give to my love: Daughter Hannah Child three pounds to be paid her within one year after my decease.
11. I give to my loving Son John Trayne his children twenty shill: a piece to be paid ym at the time they come to age.
12. I give to My daughter Elizabeth, her children twenty shill: a piece when they come to age.
13. 1 give to my daughter Rebecca Basto her children twenty shill: a piece to be paid when they come to age.
14. I give to my daughter Sarah Cole her children twenty shill: a piece to be paid when they come to age.
15. I give to my daughter Abigaill Towning her children twenty shill a piece to be paid when they come to age.
16. I give to my daughter Hannah Child her children twenty shill: a piece to be paid when they come to age.
17. I give to my daughter Mary Memory her children John Memory, Samuel Memory, Joseph Memory & Mary Memory twenty shill: a piece to be paid when they come to age & yt they shall be kept & maintaind at school till they be fitt to goe to trades by my Executors.
18. ffurther I constitute & appoint my two sons John Trayne & Thomas Trayne to be my Executors to order & prform this my last Will & Testamt as witness my hand & seale this one & twenty day of January in the yeare of or Lord one thousand six hundred eighty & one.
the mark of
John Trayne & seale
seald & signed in prsence of:
Apr. 4. 81
-------------------- "Samuel Train was son of John Train, of Watertown, born October 31, 1662; married. May 5, 1705, Lydia Jennison. John Train was son of John Train, of Watertown, born May 25, 1651, died February 19. 1717-18; married, March 24, 1674-75, Mary Stubbs. John Train, last mentioned, was son of John Traine, or Trayne, who came over in the "Susan and Ellen" in 1635, being then twenty-five years old. In the same ship came Margaret Dix, whom he married, probably after their arrival in New England. She died December 18, 1660, aged forty-four years, and he married (second) October 12, 1675, Abigail Bent, who died August 17, 1691. John Traine took the oath of fidelity in 1662, and died January 29, 1680-81, leaving an estate of the value of two hundred and sixty-eight pounds. He was an early settler at Watertown farms, now Weston, Massachusetts."
- "Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts;"
At the age of 25, he came over in the "Susan and Ellen", in 1635; perhaps as a servant of Percival Greene. In the same ship came Margaret Dix, aged 19. It is supposed that Margaret and John married after their arrival. He took the oath of fidelity in 1652, and at the time of his death is estate inventory was L288. 10. He was an early setter of Watertown (Weston).
b.1610 of Watertown, MA; s/o James Traine and Isabella Orr d.Jan. 29, 1680 Watertown, MA m.1636 Margaret Dix b.1600; d/o Edward Dix and Jane Wilkinson d.Dec. 18, 1660 Watertown, MA m.(2)Oct. 12, 1675 Watertown, Abigail (_______) Bent d.Aug. 17, 1691 Watertown, MA
CHILDREN of John and Margaret included (all b.Watertown, MA):
Elizabeth Traine [Trayne] b.Sept. 30, 1640 d.May 7, 1708 m.Watertown, 10 March 1658/9, John Stratton, s/o Samuel Stratton
Mary Traine b.Oct. 10, 1642 M.John Memory d.Aug. 17, 1678 Dorchester, MA
Rebecca Traine b.1644 prob. d.y.
Sarah Traine b.Jan. 31, 1646 d.abt.1712 m.Charlestown, MA, Oct.12, 1669, Jacob Cole s/o Isaac Cole
Abigail Dix Train b.Jan. 30/31, 1648 d.Jan. 16, 1690 m.Watertown, 12 Apr. 1668, Martin Townsend
John Traine b.May 25, 1651 m.Watertown, March 12, 1674/5 Mary Stubbs, d/o Joshua Stubbs
Thomas Traine b.1653 d.Jan. 23, 1739 m.Watertown, Jan. 25, 1692/3 Rebecca Stearns, d/o Charles Stearns
Rebecca Traine b.Sept. 8, 1657 m.Watertown, Jan. 12, 1676/7, Michael Barstow, s/o John Barstow
Hannah Traine b.Sept. 7/8, 1657 m.Watertown, Jan. 16, 1678/9 Richard Child
FROM Directory of the Ancestral Heads of New England Families 1620-1700, by Holmes: JOHN, b.Eng., 1610, came Watertown, Mass., 1635.
FROM The Great Migration, Vol.VII T-Y, p.83, ...servant to Percival Green, was enrolled at London as a passenger for New England on the Susan & Ellen.
John Traine, Sr.'s Timeline
Glasgow, Glasgow City, Scotland, United Kingdom
November 30, 1624
High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Watertown, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts
Of, Irvine, Ayr, Scotland
Of Twine or Twins, Scotland
September 30, 1640
Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts, United States
October 10, 1642
Watertown, Middlesex , MA
January 31, 1646
Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts
January 30, 1648
Watertown, MA, USA
May 25, 1651
Watertown, Middlesex, MA, USA