John Trollope, 1st Baron Kesteven
Son of Sir John Trollope, 6th Baronet and Anne Trollope
|Managed by:||Woodman Mark Lowes Dickinson, OBE|
Historical records matching John Trollope, 1st Baron Kesteven
About John Trollope, 1st Baron Kesteven
From Wikipedia, August 2014:
John Trollope, 1st Baron Kesteven PC (5 May 1800 – 17 December 1874), known as Sir John Trollope, Bt, between 1820 and 1868, was a British Conservative politician. He served as President of the Poor Law Board in the Earl of Derby's short-lived 1852 Conservative administration.
Contents [show] 1 Background2 Political career3 Family4 References
BackgroundTrollope was the son of Sir John Trollope, 6th Baronet, and Anne, daughter of Henry Thorold. He was the elder brother of General Sir Charles Trollope and the Right Reverend Edward Trollope and the second cousin of the novelist Anthony Trollope. He was educated at Eton and later served with the 10th Hussars, achieving the rank of captain.
Political careerTrollope was appointed High Sheriff of Lincolnshire in 1825  and was then returned to Parliament for Lincolnshire South in 1841, a seat he held until 1868.
He served under the Earl of Derby as President of the Poor Law Board between March and December 1852 and was sworn of the Privy Council in March of the same year. In 1868 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Kesteven, of Casewick in the County of Lincoln.
FamilyLord Kesteven married Julia Maria, daughter of Sir Robert Sheffield, 4th Baronet, in 1847. They had three sons and three daughters. He died in December 1874, aged 74, and was succeeded in the barony by his eldest son, John. Lady Kesteven died in November 1876.
References1.^ Jump up to: a b thepeerage.com John Trollope, 1st Baron Kesteven 2.Jump up ^ Annual register, Volume 67, p189 edited by Edmund Burke 3.Jump up ^ leighrayment.com House of Commons: Lichfield and Tamworth to London and Westminster South 4.Jump up ^ The London Gazette: no. 21297. p. 671. 2 March 1852. 5.Jump up ^ leighrayment.com Privy Counsellors 1836-1914 6.Jump up ^ The London Gazette: no. 23370. p. 2220. 14 April 1868.