|Birthplace:||Wethersfield, Connecticut Colony|
|Death:||Died in Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut Colony|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Joseph Crane
view all 14
About Joseph Crane
- Fifty Puritan ancestors, 1628-1660 : genealogical notes, 1560-1900 (1902)
- THE CRANE FAMILY
- JOHN CRANE came from Suffolk County, England, to America, and by 1637 he was living at Muddy Brook (now Brookline, Mass.). In 1642 is recorded as having land at Roxbury, was "Deputy to the Great General Court" in 1649. He had two sons: Benjamin, born 1630, and Henry.
- Second Generation.
- Benjamin Crane, son of John, born 1630, went to Wethersfield by 1658, and in 1662 was one of the petitioners to set out a plantation in Wapaquasset County (now Woodstock, Conn.), Juror in 1664.(1)
- Henry and Benjamin engaged in the tannery business in Wethersfield as early as 1665 or earlier.
- Benjamin Crane married Mary Backus, daughter of William Backus, of Saybrook, April 23, 1655.(2)
- Benjamin Crane's son, Jonathan, took charge of his father's business after his death and settled with the aid of his uncle, Henry Crane, the estate. He owned over five hundred and fifty acres of land and estate, valued at £640.(3) Mary Backus Crane died July 8, 1717.
- BENJAMIN, b. March 1, 1656.
- JONATHAN, b. Dec. 1658; rem. to Windham; d. 1697.
- JOSE, b. April 1, 1661.
- JOHN. b. April, 1663; d. 1694.
- ISREAL, b. Nov. 1, 1671.(4)
- Third Generation.
- Lieut. Jonathan Crane, born in Wethersfield, December 1, 1658, received seventy-six acres in the land division in Wethersfield in 1670.(5) Was one of the first planters of Windham, Conn., in 1692. ....etc.
- He married Deborah Griswold, daughter of Francis Griswold, December 19, 1678, at Norwich, Connecticut. That Mr. Crane .... etc.
- SARAH, b. Nov. 16, 1680.
- JONATHAN, b. Feb. 2, 1684.
- JOHN, b. Oct. 1, 1687.
- MARY, b. Oct. 20, 1689.
- JOSEPH, b. May 17, 1696.(9)
- Fourth Generation.
- Joseph Crane, son of Jonathan and Deborah Griswold Crane, born at Windham, Conn., May 17, 1696, went to Southeast, Putnam Co., N. Y., about 1730. Settled on the north side of Joe's Hill, one and a half miles east of Sodom Corners, where .... etc.
- Joseph Crane married Mary Couch, daughter of Capt. Samuel Couch; born December 15, 1695; died January 9, 1766. Joseph Crane died August 20, 1781.
Joseph Crane's Timeline
April 1, 1661
Wethersfield, Connecticut Colony
December 16, 1684
November 24, 1702
November 28, 1707
Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut Colony
March 16, 1886
July 3, 1933
May 8, 1946