view all 19
About Joseph Nell
Source: Lee Cahill, 29 May 2013 (Last updated 14 July 2013)
- I know very little about my great-uncle Joseph, but according to my aunt, Hilda Wallace Keyte, he served in both Egypt and Italy during WW II, as did his brother Ben.
- I only met him and his wife, Dot, once or twice, the last time when I was living with Gran (Maria Petronella Nell Wallace) while I was at university and they came to Johannesburg for a visit. A sweet story from that time is that, although the spare bedroom had twin beds, they both slept in one bed. They did this because they'd apparently never slept apart since the day of their marriage. Dot apparently also baked fresh bread for Joseph every day because he didn't like store-bought bread.
- Joseph died on the same day as Gran did, 16 August 1990, and is buried in Fairlands Cemetery in Johannesburg, where both of his parents are also buried.
- Joseph and Dot had two children that I know of, Bobby and an older sister. The sister died quite young, and Bobby and his wife Helene raised her children.
- Bobby and Helene later emigrated to Australia, but I've been unable to trace them.
- On 14 July 2013, I was contacted via Geni by the grandson of Joseph's brother Ben (Benjamin Jacobus Louw Nell), who now lives in Australia. According to him, Ben and his brothers Abraham, Joseph and Daniel (Daan) moved to what was then Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) in 1948. I was able to confirm this with my aunt Hilda. I'm unsure of when he returned to Johannesburg.