view all 23
About Joseph Pierce, Sr.
- 'Peirce genealogy: being the record of the posterity of John Pers, an early ... By Frederick Clifton Pierce
- Anthony Peirce (John1), b. in England in 1609, m. in England for his first wife Mary -- and came to America previous to his father. He settled in Watertown and owned land in that portion of the town near the Cambridge line. His homestall was on the north side of the road from Cambridge, immediately west of the homestall of John Stowers, which was afterwards the parsonage occupied by Rev. Mr. Angier. It was afterwards the residence of his sons Joseph and Benjamin. Anthony Perse, according to the Watertown Record Book, owned a homestall of tem acres bounded on the south and west by the highway, on the east by land of John Stowers, and on the north by land of John Biscoe; also owned a farm of 86 acres of upland in the third Division. He was admitted freeman Sept. 3, 1634. His first wife died in 1633, and the same year, 1633, he married Ann --, who died Jan. 20, 1682-3. "He was a grantee of two lots in Watertown, one of which was four acres bounded south by Belmont Street; east by John Stowers; north by John (Nathaniel) Bisco. He afterwards purchased six acres adjoining it on the west, a grant to his father. It was the third lot west of Lexington street."--Bond. He was the ancestor of nearly all the families bearing the name afterwards in Watertown, Waltham, Weston, Lincoln, Lexington and Concord. He died May 9, 1678. His will was dated Sept. 6, 1671. "March 14, 1682-3. Administration on the estate of Anne, widow of Anthony Peirce, granted to (sons) Joseph and Benjamin Peirce, and Lieut. Richard Way, attorney in behalf of widow and children of John Peirce deceased."--Bond, p. 869. Children:
- i. John, "eldest son," m. Apr. 15, 1656, Ruth Bishop.
- ii. Mary, b. 28 Dec ? 1633; d. young.
- iii. Mary, b. 1636, m. Ralph Read, b. 1630. He was brought to this country from England in 1635, he being at that time 5 years of age. He settled in Woburn, where a grant of land was made to him by the town in 1654 and where he was taxed in 1666. A memorable fatal accident happened to William, their eldest son, which is stated in the records of Deaths of the town of Woburn as follows: "William Read dyed by a shott Novermber ye 7th, 1688; his brother Timothy at unawares in the Woods Shot him in Stedd of a Dear." He d. Jan. 11, 1711. She d. Feb. 18, 1700. Ch. William, b. 1658, m. Eliza --; John, b. 1660, m. Eliza Holden and Abigail Baldwin; Joseph; Daniel; Timothy, b. Feb 14, 1665, m. Martha Boyden; David; Jonathan, b. May 5, 1710; Mary, m. Benjamin, s. of Sergt. Thomas Pierce.
- iv. Jacob, b. Sept. 15, 1637. (Jared?) living 1683, (Bond's Watertown).
- v. Daniel, b. Jan. 1, 1639-40, m. Elizabeth --.
- vi. Martha, b. Apr. 24, 1641.
- 'vii. Joseph, b. not recorded, m. Martha -- and Elizabeth Winship.
- viii. Benjamin, b. 1649, m. Jan. 15, 1677-8, Hannah Brooks.
- ix. Judith, b. July 18, 1650, m. Feb. 16, 1666-7, John Sawin. She d. s. p. June 20, 1723, in Weston. He was born in Boxford, Eng. and was admitted freeman May 26, 1666-7. He d. (suicide) Sept. 2, 1690. Inventory Oct. 8, 1690.
- 'Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal ..., Volume 2 By Ellery Bicknell Crane
- EDWARD T. PIERCE, John Pierce (I), weaver, born in Norwich, England, 1588, was the emigrant ancestor of Edward T. Pierce, of Leominster. He came to Boston, 1637. He settled at Watertown where he became a freeman March 16, 1637-8. He died there August 19, 1661, mentioning his wife and children in his will dated March 4, 1657-8. His wife Elizabeth was born about 1587, died at Watertown, March 12, 1666, leaving a will which names her children. Their children were: John, born in England; Barbara, born in England; Judith, born in England; Elizabeth, married --- Ball, born in England; Anthony, born in 1609 in England; Robert; Esther, married --- Morse; Mary, married --- Coldham; Robert, probably settled at Woburn; and John, at Wethersfield, Connecticut.
- (II) Anthony Pierce, son of John Pierce (I), born in England in 1609 and came to Watertown apparently before his parents. He was made a freeman of that town on September 3, 1634. He is the ancestor of the Pierce families of Watertown, Waltham, Weston, Lincoln and Lexington, Massachusetts. The homestead was on the north side of the road from Watertown to Cambridge, west of the house of John Stowers, which was afterwards the parsonage, occupied by Rev. Mr. Angier. The homestead passed to his sons 'Joseph' and Benjamin who lived there. Anthony Pierce married (first) Sarah ---, (second) about 1638, Anne ---. He died May 9, 1678, his will being dated September 6, 1671. His widow died January 20, 1682-3. Their children were: John, married Ruth Bishop, daughter of Nathaniel Bishop; his widow married William Fuller; Mary, born October 20, 1633; Mary, born 1636, married Ralph Read, who was born in 1632, son of William and Mabel (Reed) Read, of Woburn; Jacob, born September 15, 1637, living in 1683; Daniel, born January 1, 1639-40; Martha, born April 24, 1641; 'Joseph, made freeman April 18, 1690'; Benjamin, born 1649, made freeman April 18, 1690; Judith, born July 18, 1650, married, February, 1666-7, John Sawin.
- John Peirce was born in Norwich, Norfolk county, England. He was a weaver by trade. He came to New England in 1637 with his wife Elizabeth and four children, either in the "John & Dorethey," of Norwich, or the "Rose" of Yarmouth. William Andrews, Jr. was the master of the "Rose," and his father was master of the "John & Dorethey." John Peirce was born probably in 1588, died August 19, 1661; his wife was probably born 1591, died March 12, 1666-6. He was made a freeman of Watertown, March, 1638-9. He signed his name "Pers" and his wife's signature is sometimes given "Pearse." The majority of his descendants have followed the spelling Peirce. His children were: Anthony, born in England, 1609: Esther, born in England, married Joseph Morse; Mary, born in England, married Clement Coldam, of Lynn and Gloucester, Massachusetts, died January 26, 1704-5; Robert, born in England 1620, married Mary Knight; John, born in England, married Elizabeth ---; Barbara; Elizabeth, born in England, married 1643, John Ball, Jr.; Judith, born in England, married, January 30, 1644, Francis Wyman.
- (II) Anthony Peirce, son of John Peirce (I), was born in England. He came to America with his wife Mary before his father and the younger children. He settled at Watertown near the Cambridge line on the north side of the road from Cambridge immediately west of the homestead of Rev. Mr. Angir. He was made a freeman September 3, 1634. His first wife died 1633 and later in the same year he married Ann ---, who died January 30, 1682-3. He died May 9, 1678. Their children were: John, married April 15, 1656, Ruth Bishop; Mary, born December 28, 1633, died young; Mary, born 16346, married Ralph Read, born 1630, settled in Woburn; Jacob, born September 15, 1637; Daniel, born January 1, 1639-40, married Elizabeth ---; Martha, born April 24, 1641; 'Joseph, married Martha --- and Elizabeth Winship'; Benjamin, born 1649, married, January 15, 1677-8, Hannah Brooks; Judith, born July 18, 1650, married John Sawin.
- 'Pierce genealogy : being the record of the posterity of Thomas Pierce, an early inhabitant of Charlestown, and afterwards Charlestown village (Woburn), in New England, with wills, inventories, biographical sketches, etc. (1882)
- A GENEALOGICAL DICTIONARY
- John, Watertown, freeman, March, 1638, a man of good estate, projected settlement at Sudbury and Lancaster, d. May 9, 1661 ; and his will of March 4, 1658, was pro. the Oct. 1, following. In it he provides for wf. Elizabeth, eldest s. Anthony, and other ch. which he does not name ; but his wid. in her will of March 15, 1666-7, pro. April 2, supplies the deficiency, naming ch. Anthony, John, Robert, Esther Morse, wf. of Joseph, Mary Coldam prob. res. in Lynn, besides gr. chil. Mary Ball, and ano. Ball, Esther Morse, and the chil. of Anthony and Robert ; he also had ch. Judith, who m. Francis Wyman ; and Elizabeth, who m. John Ball, Jr. ; the two latter d. bef. their father. See Peirce Gen. by F. C. Peirce, Esq.
- Pg. xiii
- James, Woburn, s. of Thomas, Jr., b. 1659, m. Elizabeth Kendall, and had Elizabeth, b. Oct. 11, 1688 ; James, b. Feb. 28, 1690 ; Rebecca and Mary.
- Pg. xv
- 'Joseph, Watertown, s. of Anthony, had wf. Martha, and m. 2nd, 1698, Elizabeth (Kendall) Winship, freeman 1690, April 18. Ch. Joseph, b. 1669 ; Francis, b. 1671 ; John, b. 1673 ; Mary, b. 1674 ; Benjamin, b. 1677 ; Jacob, b. 1678 ; Martha, b. 1681 ; Stephen, b. 1683 ; Israel, b. 1685 ; Elizabeth, b. 1687.
- Pg. 28
- 31. JAMES3 PIERCE (Thomas2, Thomas1), b. May 7 1659; m.* Elizabeth Kendall, b. Jan. 15, 1653, d. Oct. 16, 1715. He res. in Woburn and d. Jan. 20, 1742.
- Children: --
- 96. i. ELIZABETH, b. Oct. 11, 1688.
- * By this marriage a lusus naturae of an extra finger or toe, and sometimes both, was produced, and this has ever since appeared in this branch of the family.
- Pg. 29
- 97. ii. JAMES, b. Feb. 28, 1690; m. Hannah __, and Phebe __.
- 98. iii. REBECKAH, b. Sept. 16, 1692; m. Feb. 12, 1714, Nathaniel Winship.
- 99. iv. MARY, b. __; m. Lea F. Kendall.
view all 20
Joseph Pierce, Sr.'s Timeline
Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA
June 15, 1668
Prob., Watertown, Mass.
October 2, 1669
April 5, 1671
July 27, 1671
May 27, 1673
Watertown, Middlesex, MA
November 26, 1674
Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA
March 25, 1677
Watertown, Middlesex, MA, USA
December 25, 1678