About Josiah Kirby Lilly, Jr.
Josiah Kirby Lilly, Jr. (1893–1966) was a pharmaceutical industrialist and President of Eli Lilly and Company from 1948 to 1953. Lilly, a 1914 graduate of the school of pharmacy at the University of Michigan, was the last family member to run the company. He was named for his father, Josiah K. Lilly, Sr., who also headed the family business. He married Ruth Brinkmeyer and had 2 children, Ruth Lilly (1915–2009) and Josiah Kirby Lilly III (1916–1995).
Lilly, Jr. was known for his philanthropic activities, such as Eagle Creek Park. He was a founder of the Indianapolis-based Lilly Endowment Inc. along with his father and his brother Eli Lilly, which has become one of he largest private foundations in the United States. He was also a prolific collector of rare books and manuscripts, gold, antique weaponry, stamps, and military miniatures. Lilly, Jr. donated 20,000 books and 17,000 manuscripts to Indiana University in the 1950s, forming the foundation of the Lilly Library in 1960.
His son J.K. Lilly III was also a philanthropist and gave money to community projects in the Cape Cod area.
Eli (Ted) Lilly II is the son of J.K. Lilly III and grandson of J.K. Lilly. Lilly maintains a low profile in the Indianapolis area.