Is your surname Hite?

Research the Hite family

Jost Hite's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Share

Hans Jost Hite (Heydt)

Nicknames: "Hans Jost", "Heydt", "Hiatt", "Hite", "Hans Justus Hite", "Hyatt"
Birthplace: Bonfeld (within present Bad Rappenau), Kraichgau (Present Landkreis Heilbronn), Herzogtum Württemberg (Present Baden-Württemberg), Heiliges Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation (Present Germany)
Death: Died in (Present Strasburg), (Present Shenandoah County), Province of Virginia, (Present USA)
Immediate Family:

Son of Johannes Hans Heydt, I and Magdelena Maria Anna Heydt
Husband of Anna Maria Hite (Merckel du Bois); Anna Hyatt and Unkn Indian Hite
Father of Sarah Hite; Rebecca Hiatt; Anna Maria Hite; John I. Hite; Isaac Hite and 16 others
Brother of Johann Heydt; Anna Catherina Hiatt; Anna Maria Kleeman; Johannes Jeremias Hite; Anna Rosina Rudolff and 1 other
Half brother of Anna Eva Catharina Hite; Johann Martinus Hite; Amos Hiatt; Anna Barbara Hiatt; William Hiatt and 7 others

Occupation: Yoeman/farmer, land agent for Lord Fairfax
Managed by: Holly Gaye Peterson
Last Updated:

About Hans Jost Hite (Heydt)

Burial

Find A Grave Memorial# 20847409

Bio

Hans Justus Heydt, known later in America as Jost Hite, was born 6 December 1685, the second of the family of eight children of Johann and Magdalena. He was eleven years of age when his stepmother came to live with them.

Jost became a linen weaver, and on 11 November 1704, married Anna Maria Merkle. She was the daughter of a prominent family of the Bonfeld-Wimpfen area. Two children of this marriage, Anna Maria and Maria Barbara, died shortly after birth. The third child, Mary, not listed in the Bonfeld church records, with a birthday of 1708 or 1709, may have been born after the family left for America.

Records of 1709 indicate that the families of Johannes Heydt and his son Jost (Hans Justus), emigrated. It appears that only four family members reached America: Jost, his wife Anna Maria, their baby daughter Mary and Jost's stepmother, Maria. Probably typhoid, severe at the time, accounted for the rest. Entire families were known to be wiped out.

Jost and Anna Maria lived in New York State three or four years, as indicated by the baptism of their next two children at Kingston; Elizabeth and Magdalena. The family then moved to Pennsylvania, near Germantown, now part of the city of Philadelphia, where they bought 150 acres on the Skippack River in 1714. Four years later, on 15 Nov 1718, they purchased 600 acres a few miles up the Perkiomen, for the price of 125 pounds. Here Jost built a grist mill just outside of present day Swenksville. Family tradition says he also bought slaves, which seems likely in view of the size of his property. It must also have been here, while near the Pastorious Colony at Germantown, a Quaker settlement, that Elizabeth met and married Paul Froman, a member of The Society of Friends.

The rest of Jost and Anna Maria's eleven children were: John, Jacob, Isaac, an infant, Abraham and Joseph.

It would seem that by now the Hite family, in possession of considerable property and comfortably situated in a new two-story house with stone walls two feet thick, would be content with their success in the new world. And perhaps they were, even though an Indian attack, repulsed by the local German farmers, occurred close by. But unknown to them, the actions of a traveling Indian trader from the New York area were shaping their future, and drawing the name of Jost Hite into the history of the development of a rich wilderness area 140 miles to the southwest, in the "Northern Neck" of Virginia.

For a number of years, John VanMeter had traveled among the Indian tribes supplying them with a variety of materials in exchange for furs. He was widely known and readily accepted by a number of tribes, living with them and moving among them with apparent ease. During the late 1720's, it is said that he attached himself to a war party of Delawares and accompanied them on an expedition to the south, up the valley of the Shenandoah River, to attack the Catawbas. He was so well impressed with the lower valley area that upon returning he and his brother Isaac obtained a grant from the Colonial Government at Williamsburg for 40,000 acres, 17 June 1730, with the condition that they settle one family per thousand acres on the land within two years.

Word of this venture immediately aroused the interest of Jost Hite and he sought out the VanMeters, acquiring the rights to their grant on August 5, 1731. Not satisfied, he and Robert McKay pursued what appeared to be golden opportunity and on October 31 signed papers at Williamsburg for an additional grant of 100,000 acres, subject to the same conditions of settlement within a two-year period. Then, together with Robert Green and William Duff, they set up land company operations. Just what part McKay played in this enterprise is not entirely clear. Accounts of the settlement of the lower Shenandoah Valley invariably list Hite as the leader of this first permanent settlement west of the Blue Ridge.

Prior to this transaction Jost had disposed of his Pennsylvania property. Jacob Merkle (the name later became Markley), Anna Maria's brother, had arrived from Germany, and the Hites saw fit to release 100 acres of land to him for the legalizing token of five shillings, July 16, 1728. Although it is not indicated here, it seems to have been the custom to lease saleable land to prospective buyers for one year at a very nominal fee such as five shillings, after which actual sale was made. Hite's remaining 500 acres, with the grist mill, were sold to John Pauling for 540 pounds on January 9, 1730. Deeds exist for the various Hite transactions. What prompted these final transactions is not known, but Jost was left in possession of ready money at the opportune time to make the VanMeter purchase.

It is of some interest to note that John Pauling sold the former Hite property to Peter Pennypacker in 1747, and that it has remained in that family. The mill was operated as Pennypacker Mill for many years, finally being extensively damaged by fire in 1898. It was rebuilt the next year as the Red Fox Inn. In 1980 it burned. The original Hite house served as General Washington's headquarters during September and October, 1777, after the Battle of Germantown. It was remodeled, with additions, and is known as the Pennypacker Mansion.

The trip from Pennsylvania to Virginia in 1731 was slow. A passable road over the rough terrain had to be cleared for the wagon train as they went. The Potomac River was crossed a few miles above the mouth of the Shenandoah at Packhorse Ford (later called Mecklenberg, and finally Shepherdstown). They arrived at their destination on Opequon Creek in the fall of 1731.

Prior to the coming of Hite, the valley had been seen by very few white men. A Jesuit priest, a wandering German physician and a British colonel had reported their respective journeys there as 1632, 1669 and 1673. Then came an interesting and only partially believed report from Louis Michel, a Swiss in 1705. He wrote of finding evidence of an ancient Indian tribe at today's site of Winchester, who used huge sacrificial stone altars 60 feet across, and whose warriors stood seen feet tall by actual measurement of their remains. This latter point was to be confirmed by George Washington in excavating for Fort Loudoun in 1755. The valley was penetrated again in 1716, in pinpoint fashion, by Gov. Spottswood with his "Golden Horseshoe" group. He named the river "Euphrates," and claimed all of the land westward "to the River of the Spaniards," the Mississippi, as British territory, an as "Virginia" in particular.

From the Potomac the Shenandoah Valley, the "Valley of Virginia" as it came to be known, stretched nearly 200 miles south, forming about half of the length of a natural passageway to the great Smokey Mountains in the southwest. It served as more of a thoroughfare than as a place of residence for the Indians. The Shawnees had a small cluster of villages around the springs at present day Winchester, from which a well-beaten path led up the length of the valley. It was close beside this trail, five miles south of the Shawnee Springs, that Hite chose to settle. The Valley Turnpike follows much of the old Indian Trail, called by many the "Great Indian Highway." Sections of stone walls thought to be of the house and tavern built by Jost Hite still stand some 30 yards east of the Turnpike, beside the house built by his son, Colonel John Hite.

"Tavern" in that time meant "inn" - a place where travelers could stop overnight with some assured protection. No doubt liquor was kept in supply, but it was considered a social amenity, even by many of the clergy. Tavern keepers of the time were accorded civic courtesy and their children were sought out by educational institutions. They were widely acquainted, an essential link in the news media chain, and usually were more affluent than most. As such they merited respect and were held in high regard. The tavern served as a warm up place for everyone between long morning and afternoon church services in unheated churches. A carefully kept ledger recorded the pints and quarts consumed by saint and sinner alike; hence the origin of "Mind your P's and Q's."

Site locations for the several families, surveying, corner staking and cabin building all had to be done at once. The Hite sons-in-law were permitted to make their own selection of 750 acres each. From the Hite location the Chrismans settled two miles south, the Bowmans about seven, and the Fromans some five miles southwest. Robert McKay, Jr. chose a site at the forks of the river where he set up a saw mill. His father settled about five miles up the south fork of the river. By agreement, a line running from the Shawnee springs to the forks of the river divided the land. McKay was to settle the land east of the line, while Hites' land lay to the west. Hite, as might be expected, set up a grist mill on Opequon Creek a short distance from his house.

The Indians were peaceful at first, but trouble began almost at once with officials at Willimasburg. The Colonial Government, knowing nothing of the territory started making grants to others involving the Hite-McKay land. Jost made at least one trip to Willimasburg in the summer of 1732 to take care of the matter.

But greater trouble, soon to be upon them, stemmed from the fact that King Charles II of England in the middle 1600's had rewarded a prominent Scottish family with a grant of the "Northern Neck" of Virginia. Thomas, sixth Lord Fairfax, Baron of Cameron in Scotland, arrived at Williamsburg in May 1735 to investigate his inheritance, only to find that the Colonial Government had issued settlement grants on his property to Hite and McKay. Finding that settlers had moved onto the land in sufficient numbers to satisfy the conditional grants, and an extension of one year to December of 1735 had been allowed on the larger one, he paid two visits to the home of Jost Hite on the Opequon in 1736 and 1737. These produced no favorable results for him, so he settled himself on a 10,000 acre tract about five miles east of Hite, and proceeded to have his land surveyed. George Washington, aged 16, was one of the surveyors, and a favorite of Lord Fairfax. As such, it was inevitable that he come into contact with the Hite families. His diary records one occasion when he spent the night at the home of Captain John Hite.

There had been no western boundary established for the Fairfax land, and Virginia was considered to extend as far as the Mississippi River. King George II rectified this by a decision on April 16, 1738, establishing a straight line 76 miles long from the head of the Rapidan River to the head of the north fork of the Potomac as the western boundary. This was surveyed in 1746 and became known as the "Fairfax Line". Hite and his associates filed suit in 1749, starting litigation which extended until 1786, and became a classic textbook study in law schools. It was settled in favor of Hite some years after both he and Lord Fairfax were dead.

From the beginning the difficulty of travel made the size of Spottsylvania County much too large for convenience. In 1734, Jost and his fellow settlers petitioned for formation of a new county, to be called Orange. The county was formed, with Jost as one of the magistrates. In the same meeting, James Wood (from Winchester, England) was made surveyor, and he soon set about laying out a town site at the Shawnee Springs. So Frederick Town, later to be called Winchester, was founded. It became the county seat when Frederick County was formed in 1738.

When son John Hite and Sara Eltinge were married in 1737, Jost and Anna Maria turned the house and tavern over to them and moved to a site about a mile east of the Bowmans on land that had been set aside for Isaac, a location later known as "Long Meadows." This is the title chosen by Minnie Hite Moody for her historical novel concerning the family, published in 1941.

Anna Maria died in 1739 and in the fall of 1741, Jost married Maria Magdalena, widow of Christian Nuschwanger. As was often the case, a remarriage of by both parties involved use of a specific agreement drawn up to list not only the material possessions brought into the marriage by each, but their distribution back to the heirs of the two original families after death. When she died is not known. Jost died in 1761 at the age of 75. Family tradition holds that he and Anna Maria (Merkle) were buried at the Opequon church. Grave stones were convenient building blocks during the Revolution as well as the Civil War, both of which raged up and down the valley, so no marker remains.

http://leecase.tripod.com/hite.htm

From the Find A Grave page for Jost Hite:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSsr=41&GScid=1970760&GRid=20847409&

Birth: Dec. 5, 1685 - Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany

Death: May 7, 1760 - Kernstown, Frederick County, Virginia, USA

s/o Anna Magdelena Johannes HEYDT

h/o Anna Maria MErCKLE

f/o Maria Elizabeth "Mary" HITE

Jost led the American migation away from the Atlantic coast & settled southward in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Many thousands of people followed him up against the mountains.


Burial: Old Opequon Cemetery, Kernstown, Frederick County, Virginia, USA


Created by: Carol STEVENS

  • Record added: Aug 08, 2007
  • Find A Grave Memorial# 20847409

-------------------------------

http://archive.org/stream/someprominentvir04pecq/someprominentvir04pecq_djvu.txt [Note: some spelling may be incorrect due to scanning technology]

Louise Pecquet du Bellet, Some Prominent Virginia Families (1907), pp. 332-336

THE HITE FAMILY IN AMERICA.

In 1710, Hans Josh Heydt, or Yost Hite, as his name is spelled in English documents dated at the time of his emigration, a native of Alsace, Germany, came from Strasbourg to New York, with his wife, Anna Marie, nee du Bois, and their little girl, Mary. He came in his own ships, Brigantine Swift and Schooner Friendship, bringing with him sixteen (some say more) Dutch and German families, as tenants for lands he expected to settle.

Hite remained in Kingston, New York, until 1715, when he came south to Germantown, Penn. In 1717, we find him on the Schuylkill River, where he bought lands, and in 1720 built a mill at the mouth of Perkiomen Creek, and a dwelling house, which is at present the country home of Gov. Samuel Pennypacker of Pennsylvania, and became a thrifty, enterprising farmer and manufacturer. The mills are now called Pennypacker's Mills.

At this time the Indians, ma(hU'ned by the encroachments of the whites, took revenge by making raids upon the colonists in both Pennsylvania and Maryland, ruthlessly murdering settlers and destroying property. In 1728, a petition signed by Yost Hite and many others, for protection against the Indians was presented to Gov. Gordon of Pennsylvania, who ignored the petition and the atrocities became more frequent and more cruel. Hite became disgusted by the culpable indifference of the government and inaugurated a scheme to re-emigrate to the wilds of the then unknown Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, and in January, 1730, sold his holdings on the Schuylkill and with his family and followers once more turned his footsteps southward.

In 1730, John Van Meter went to Williamsburg and obtained a contract from Gov. Sir William Gooch, for forty thousand acres of land in the Shenandoah Valley, and in 1731 sold this contract to Yost Hite, which sale was afterwards confirmed by Gov. Gooch, and the tract was known as "Hite's Grant."

October 31, 1731, Hite took as partner a young Quaker, named Robert McKoy, and obtained an order of council for one hundred thousand acres of land on the west side of the mountain on condition he would settle one hundred families on it in two years. Afterwards the time for making these settlements was extended to Christmas, 1735.

In the spring of 1731, Yost Hite with sixteen families left York, Pa., and crossed the Potomac River at what was called Parkhorse Ford, afterwards Mecklenburg, now Shepherdstown, and entered the fertile and beautiful, but unexplored Valley of the Shenandoah River. He made his first settlement at ISTew ^lechlenburg, just one hundred and twenty-five years after the first settlement on James River, in 1607. "To Hans Yost Hite, therefore, belongs the honor of having planted the first standard of civilization in the mountainous region of Virginia."

Yost Hite proceeded down the Valley to a place called by the natives and traders, "Red Bud,"' on the Opequon Creek ; there he located his eldest son, John Hite, who built the first colonial stone house in the Valley, just where the turnpike now crosses the creek, and called it "Springdale." These settlements were on the west side of the Shenandoah River, hence were in no county, as Spottsylvania extended only to the river. The counity of Orange was made August, 1734, and "extended to the utmost limits of Virginia," to-wit: "from sea to sea." Hite surveyed the land, marked out farms, and the old records of Orange County show many deeds from him. In June, 1734, an order of council stated, "Yost Hite" had complied with the terms of the grant, and had settled his land with more than the requisite number of families," and directed patents to be issued to him and his assignees, upon the surveys then returned to the secretary's office. This same year, Lord Fairfax, without making any investigation of Hite's claim, entered a general caveat against all orders of councils, deeds, patents, entries, etc., issuing from the crown office, for lands lying in his proprietary and gave Hite preemptory notice to purchase or vacate.

The first of January, 1736, Hite and McKoy had fifty-four families on their one hundred thousand acres of land. Some surveys were made, which were returned to the secretary's office, in due time, but the caveat was served before the patents on the surveys were issued. Lord Fairfax arrived in 1736, and a survey of the Northern Neck was made, by which it appeared part of the contested lands did lie within the boundary of his proprietary. This condition of affairs gave rise to certain petitions made to the governor and council, who confirmed the Fairfax surveys on express condition he establish all the grants made by the crown, and, December 31, 1738, an order was issued to that effect. Lord Fairfax gave his word the deeds should be made to the grantees under the crown, particular mention being made of Hite and his associates, who had threatened to remove to some other part of the country. This promise was to be redeemed, as soon as Lord Fairfax could open his office, thereupon Hite withdrew twenty-seven surveys and fees from the secretary's office, and lodged them with the proprietor for patents, and the claimants remained on the lands. Lord Fairfax opened his land office, and then refused to give the promised patents to Hite and his associates, and even conveyed part of the land to others. Hite and parties now filed a bill against Fairfax and those claiming under him, setting forth all the facts and prayed his Lordship be decreed to make the deeds to the plaintiff's for the surveyed lands, etc., etc. On October 13, 1769, the court decreed that Hite and McKoy were entitled to the lands surveyed before Christmas, 1735, for which patents had been issued before August 11, 1745, and that Fairfax must issue deeds for said lands, and appoint a committee to examine and state a memorial for all such surveys claimed by the plaintiffs, and that his lordship deliver the said commissioners all the original surveys lodged in his office, by Robert Cxreen, Gent., deceased.

Thomas Marshall and other commissioners reported twenty-seven surveys, containing forty-seven thousand two hundred and seventy-eight acres, showing the Van Meter claim more than satisfied. In 1771 there was a final decree, which gave Hite forty thousand of the Van Meter claim and to Hite and McKoy fifty-four thousand acres of the one hundred thousand acres in the order of October 21, 1731. Lord Fairfax appealed to the King in council, but never prosecuted the case. Hite and others appealed from parts of the decree, which confirmed grants made by Fairfax since the commencement of the case. This went to the Court of Appeals of Virginia. Fairfax died in 1781. Gabriel Jones was one of his executors. Randolph argued the case in Appellate Court for Hite et al., Baker for Appellees, John Taylor for Hite et al., Marshall for tenants.

The Appellate court gave Hite all he asked, with rents of the land from January, 1749-50, and costs. Fairfax was a '"Royal pet,'^ and it was almost as daring in Hite to enter suit against him, as it was to go into the wilderness of the Shenandoah Valley to settle, for the influence of Lord Fairfax, with the King and the Colonial government, was quite equal to that of any other man in this country at that time. The suit was delayed fifty years, both contestants were dead, foreign influence was lessened and courts were learning to act independently and according to the merits of the case. (Reference 4 Col. Va. Reports, 42, 83.)

Of Yost Hite's private life there is but little known. He was honest and taciturn, and his public career marks him as a leader among men, possessing good judgment, fine executive ability, and indomitable will. Obstacles only aroused his ardor, and he feared no man; he also must have had large means at his command. His wife, Anna Maria du Bois, was of Huguenot extraction. Among the descendants of her son, Isaac, there is a tradition that at the time of her marriage, neither she nor her bridegroom understood more than a few words of their respective languages. 'Tis said, "Cupid laughs at bars/' but in this instance he laughed at words, for there was no difficulty about the courtship; all went smoothly until the question of a marriage settlement by Yost on his bride arose, then papa du Bois was determined there should he no mistake. They were married in Germany and emigrated in 1710, bringing one little daughter with them. While living at Kingston, New York, the baptism of two others were recorded. Yost Hite made his will in 1757 and died in Frederick Co., Va., in 1760.

Family Record.

Yost Hite died 1760, Anna Maria du Bois died 1736. They were married in Germany. Issue :

I. Mary Hite, b. in Germany. Married George Bowman. II. Elizabeth Hite, baptized in Kingston, N. Y., Nov. 4, 1711. Married Paul Froman, of New Jersey. III. Magdelene Hite, baptized in Kingston, N. Y., Sept. 13, 1713. Married Jacob Chinmann. IV. John Hite, d. 1792. Married Zara Eltinge, daughter of Cornelius Eltinge and Rebecca, nee Van Meter. V. Jacob Hite. Married Catherine O'Bannon, in Ireland. She died and he married second, Frances (Madison) Beale, widow of Col. Tavener Beale and daughter of Col. Ambrose Madison and Frances, nee Taylor, of Orange Co., Va. VI. Isaac Hite, b. 1723; d. 1795. Married (1745) Eleanor Eltinge, daughter of Cornelius Eltinge and Rebecca Van Meter. VII. Abraham Hite, b. May 10, 1729 ; d. Jan. 17, 1790. Married (Dec. 3, 1751) Rebecca Van Meter, daughter of Isaac Van Meter and Annetjie, nee Wyncoop, of Hampshire Co., Va. VIII. Joseph Hite, b). 1729. Married Elizabeth . Issue four children, Joseph Hite, Jr., b. 1761, John Hite, William Hite, and Ann Hite.

-------------------

John and Mary Hiett came to the United States from England with their two sons, John, Jr. and George, in 1699 on th e William Penn's second voyage. Their third son, William wa s the first to be born in the States. He was born in 170 0 in Pennsylvania.

John and Mary were Quakers and most likely fled England t o avoid religious persecution. John was a farmer and merch ant by trade. He and Mary raised their family in Bucks Cou nty, Pennsylvania and lived there the remainder of their li ves. John, Jr. and William later moved on to Fredericks Co unty, Virginia and George married in Pennsylvania then move d to Guilford, Surry County, North Carolina.

LDS records also show the first name of John Hiatt as Jost , Hans, or Justus...and the spelling of his last name as Hi te. John was a member of the Quaker sect in England. The y were fleeing from persecution to Holland, Normandy and Fr ance. Many family members died before coming to America . The Hiatt England History was compiled by William Perr y Johnson via Marie Ballen.

It has generally been accepted that John and Mary Smith Hia tt were the immigrant ancestors of our Hiatt family. It i s generally believed, but not yet proven, that they and a t least three sons arrived in America on the ship Canterbur y in 1699 with William Penn when he returned for the secon d time.

John Hiatt was born in England and was a Quaker before th e death of George Fox, the founder of the Society of Friend s. When John Hiatt was about twenty-one years of age, he m arried Mary Smith, the daughter of William and Grace Smith . What happened to them after their marriage in England i s not clear, but there was a John Hiatt that was taken pris oner in Somerset-Shore in 1683 (this date should probably b e 1693) at the time the Quakers were persecuted. The recor d says he lived in the village of Shipton Mallet. It may b e the same John Hiatt, (then again it may not). At any rate , our John Hiatt turned up in PA in 1699 and bought 300 ac res of land in Bucks Co., for 350 pounds. His deed is in t he Courthouse at Doylestown, the seat of Bucks Co., PA. Jo hn was about 26 years of age at this time. (his wife was 22 ) They had three small sons, the youngest a baby. There i s another deed on record there, dated 1706 when John Hiat t bought more land in Bucks Co. on the Delaware River tha t had originally belonged to William Penn. Further record s show that John Hiatt was alive in 1726, but do not show h ow much longer he lived. His wife, Mary, was alive in 174 5 at the age of 78, but her death date is not known.

...... .................................'

Ronald Cogan has different names for three of the the las t children born to this family. They are Rebecca, Sarah an d Elisha. Found in HH Book by Wm Perry Johnson and in Hiat t Family by John Beasley. This family belonged to the Relig ious Society of Friends (Quakers) in England, possibly flee ing, as did many of the sect, to Holland and France to esca pe persecution the later part of the 17th century, before c oming to America. John Hiett was probably a farmer, and pos sible a merchant also. Sent by Clifford Hardin. From The An cestors and Family of J. Alvin Hardin. by Dorothy Hardin Ma ssey and Clifford Hardin. It has generally been accepted th at John and Mary Smith Hiatt were the immigrant ancestors o f our Hiatt family. Also it is generally believed, but no t proved, that they and at least three sons arrived in Amer ica on the ship Canterbury in 1699 with William Penn when h e returned for the second time. A deed not included in th e Hiatt-Hiett book was located in the Maryland records (Cec il County, Md. deeds, Vol II, page 321). It was dated 26 Ma y 1715 and indicates that John Camp (Kemp or Kempson) and w ife Mary of Elk River in Cecil County sold 50 acres of Dare 's Desire to John Hiatt of the same place. The deed was wit nessed by John Smith and Edward Jeffes. Earlier, on 27 Jul y 1708, John Hiatt was appointed administrator of the estat e of William Smith in common with James Robinson and Sampso n George. (Testamentary Proceedings, Cecil County, Maryland , Liber 21, folio 61) John Hiatt and this William Smith app ear to have been brother-in-law, and this William also appe ars to have been the son of Williams Smith, Sr. who died i n 1710. John Hiatt had married prior to 1700 Mary Smith, da ughter of William Smith, Sr. who had been living in Cecil C ounty along the Elk River since at least 1703. Cecil Count y Deed, Vol 2, page 321. According to the will of William S mith, Sr. dated 8 September 1708 (Cecil County Wills, Libe r AA folio 135) administrators of the estate of William Smi th, Sr. were William's son, John Smith, Nicholas Hyland an d Sampson George of Cecil County. The John Smith who witnes sed the 1715 deed between John Hiett and John Camp and th e William Smith for whose estate John Hiett was administrat or were almost certainly Mary's brothers. These events indi cate that John and Mary Smith Hiatt were living in Cecil Co unty, Maryland, as early as 1708. Their land was located o n the Elk River adjacent to land owned by the Smiths and se veral members of the Hollingsworth family. The authors of t his volume are uncertain whether there were two John Hiatt , one in Bucks County, Pennsylvania and another in Cecil Co unty, Maryland, or whether John and Mary Smith Hiatt actual ly moved back and forth -- a distance of about 70 miles. I f it should eventually be proved that there were two John H iatt, then we are convinced that the patricarchs of our Hia tts who were in Frederick County, Virginia by 1734 were fro m Cecil County, Maryland and for reason which are outline d below. First, John Hiatt, Jr. -- so called when he purcha sed land in Orange County, Virginia, from Stephen Hollingwo rth in 1737 -- was noted as from Lancaaster County, Pennsyl vania. Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and Maryland was comp lete in 1767, the northern part of Cecil County, Maryland , was often considered to be a part of Lancaster or Cheste r County, Penn. Some deeds were recorded in both states. Fu rther, land records of Lancaster County indicate that 200 a cres patented to John Hiett in 1733 was in Strasburg Townsh ip. Strasburg Township at this time was located near the Ma ryland border just north of present day Harford County, Mar yland -- a distance of some 25 to 30 miles frm Elk River i n Maryland. The land in Lancaster County was reassigned i n 1744 to another person. In Cecil County, Maryland, Henr y Hollingsworth purchased land adjacent to John Hiett and J ohn Smith along the Elk River in 1712. Henry Hollingswort h and his son, Stephen Hollingsworth witnessed several of t he Smith deeds in 1711 to 1714. (Cecil County Deed, Vol 2 ) In Frederick purchased land in 1737 located on Opeckon Cr eek from Stephen Hollingsworth who was known to have move d from Elkton, Maryland to Frederick County, Vir. about 173 3. Stephen Hollingsworth's son, George, had land adjacent t o John Hiatt Jr. John Hiatt's brother-in-law, John Smith wh o had married by 1711 Jane Hinton, daughter of Rees Hinton , (Cecil County Deeds, Vol 2 page 186) neighborhood as th e Hiatts and Hollingsworths. Hopewell Meeting records tha t Jane Smith, wife of John Smith of Opeckon removed from Ch ester Meeting on 26 5 mo. 1736, " She being removed a consi derable time." There is no known relationship between the H ollingsworth and the Smiths and Hiatts other than they wer e neighbors in both Cecil County and Frederick County. Th e seventy families who moved to Frederick County, Vir. abou t 1733 founded Hopewell Meeting. Most of them were from Che ster County, Penn. or Cecil County, Maryland -- not Bucks C ounty, Penn. A few were from New Castle County, Delaware. T he family of John Hiatt, Jr. was one of these seventy famil y. There is no evidence that John and Mary Smith Hiatt wer e Quarkers in Maryland, although the next generation were m embers of Hopewell Meeting in Frederick County, Vir. Certai nly John and Jane Hinton Smith were Quakers. No probate rec ords were found for John and Mary Hiatt in Cecil County, Ma ryland or in Frederick County, Vir. None have been found i n Penn. There were other Hiatts in Maryland prior to 1700 , but no connection has been found to exist with any of the m. John and Mary Smith Hiatt may have had children other th an the three sons who have been assinged to them. For examp le, on 28 March 1716, Peter Bouchelle married Mary Heyatt i n St. Stephens Parish in Cecil County, Maryland. Mary Heyat t could have been a daughter of John and Mary Smith Hiatt . Found in Early Births Western Fredrick Co., Va and Easter n Hamsphire Co., West Vir. Compiled by Grace Kelso Garner a nd Ralph L. Triplett. 1976. List Hiett, John .."The Immigra nt" born in England 1658. He had Wm., Jno. Jr., George, Mar y, Rebecca, Sarah. Found in The Winhester Journal-Herald, S aturday, Dec 28, 1946. Randolph Co., Ind. History of the Hi att Family page 6. Little if anything is known difinitely a bout the English antecedants of the Hiatt's. It is known th at they were early Quaker immigrants and were in Bucks Coun ty, Pennsylvania before 1700, thought be some to have arriv ed with Penn on his second voyage in 1699. This ancestor wa s John Hiatt. A Mary Hyot mentioned in the records of the F alls Monthly Meeting (Bucks' County, Pa) in a certificate d ated 1706, is thought to be the wife of John Hiatt. Three s ons, George, John and William have been assigned to John an d Mary Hiatt, although they doubtlessly had other children.

THIS FAMILY BELONGED TO THE RELIGIOUS SOCIETY OF FRIENDS {Q UAKERS} IN ENGLAND, POSSIBLY FLEEING AS DID MANY OF THE SEC T, TO HOLLAND OR FRANCE TO ESCAPE PERSECUTION THE LATTER PA RT OF THE 17TH CENTURY, BEFORE COMING TO AMERICA. {THERE AR E TRADITIONS TO THIS AFFECT --EDITOR.} JOHN HIATT WAS PROBA BLY A FARMER, AND, POSSIBLY, A MERCHANT, ALSO. Info: www.fa milysearch.org/Search/af/family_group_record.asp?familyid=1 278712

At this point, we pick up the family line of John Hiatt (b . abt1674) who in about 1695 married Mary Smith , daughte r of William Smithand Grace ? John Hiatt and Mary Smith - daughter of William and G race Smithproduced at least three children, John Jr. (b.ab t 1720), George(b.abt1724), and William (b.abt1730). Amon g them, George Hiatt is ourguy.

No record is found of John Hiett in Quaker records i n PA but Fall MMin Bucks County PA makes one brief referenc e to a "Mary Hyot" who was"received on certificate" the 7t h of 6m 1706". Of John and Mary littleis known. He is cal led "yeoman" A yeoman is a free born common man ofthe mos t respectable class, a freeholder. He was probably a farme r, andpossibly a merchant. He may have also lived in Maryl and. It appearsthat they had the following sons: John, Geo rge (1698-1793), and William.

Our Thanks to the internet and the dozens of users who hav e aided in our searches. Most of that contained in this fi le has not been proven; it is only as I have it in my Famil y Tree Maker file.

This family belonged to the Religious Society of Friends (Q uakers) in England,possibly fleeing, as did many of the sec t., to Holland of France to escape persecution the latter p art of the 17th century, before coming to America.

JohnHiett was probably a farmer, and possibly a merchant.

"In Joseph Besse's "ACollection of the Sufferings of the pe ople called Quaker", it mentions a John Hyott of Shipton-Ma llett, England, who was taken prisoner in Somersetshire i n 1686, at a time when the Quakers were most severely perse cuted for their religious beliefs. No further record of thi s John Hyott has been found. It is possiblethat this John H yott of Shipton-Mallett is identical with our John Hiett wh o appears in Pennsylvania around 1699, or is the followin g a possible lineage of Hyett's from England to America (fr om "The Visitation of the County of Gloucester1682 to 168 3 by Fenwick, page 96.) It appears that our John Hiett prob ably came to America with William Penn on his second trip t o America. Penn's second voyage to Pennsylvainia was in th e fall of 1699, and our john Hiett seems to havearrived a t about the same time, for it was early that following yea r that he purchased three hundred acres of land in Bucks Co unty, Pennsylvania for three hundred fifty pounds "curren t silver money." This can be found in Deed Book 3, page 27 , Doylestown, the county seat of Bucks County, Pennsylvania . No record isfound of John Hiett in Quaker record of Penns ylvania but Fall MM in Bucks County Pennsylvania makes a br ief reference to a "Mary Hyott" who was "received on certif icate" the 7th of 6th month 1706." Of John and Mary littl e is known. He iscalled "yeoman." A Yeoman is a free born c ommon man of the most respectable class, a freeholder. He w as probably a farmer, and possibly a mercant. He may also h ave lived in Maryland.

Our ancestor John Hiatt (Hiett)(Hyott) may have come to America with his father-in-law William Smith and his sons William and John, brothers of Mary. This family belonged to the religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in England, possibly fleeing as did many of the sect, to Holland or France to escape persecution the latter part of the 17th century, before coming to America. Traditions have it that Yeoman John was a farmer and possibly a merchant. In Joseph Besses " A Collection Of the Sufferings of the people Called Quaker" it mentions John Hyott of Shipton-Mallett, England, who was taken prisoner in Somersetshire in 1686. From "The Visitation of the County of Gloucester 1682 to 1683" by Fenwick, Page 96. It appears that our John Hiatt (Hiett) probably came to America with William Penn on his second trip to Pennsylvania in the fall of 1699, for it was early the following year that he purchased three hundred acres of land in Bucks county for three hundred and fifty pounds"current silver money". This can be found in Deed book 3, page 27 Doylestown, the county seat of Bucks county, Pennsylvania. Notes from WWW.werelate .org/wiki/Person:John_Hiett_%282%29, JAT 12/28/2008

--------------------

same as Johann (Hans) Justus Heyd

--------------------

The FIRST Settlements in the SHENANDOAH VALLEY was the result of an Agreement between the Governor of Virginia, John Joist HIte of Pennsylvania and Jacob Van Meeter, in 1732. Whereby the Governor ceded, "To the Forenamed, over 200,000 acres on the condition Hiite Locate thereon at least Two Hundred Familes". Among these were Joist's Sons & Daughter's Families. This was the Beginning of the Great Migration of the Pennsylvania Germans to the Valley of virginia.

He called his Home "SPRINGDALE"

--------------------

In 1732, Jost Hite, his partner Robert McKay, and 16 families journeyed to the northern Valley to settle on 140,000 acres obtained in two land grants.

Born in 1658 in Strassburg, Alsace, Germany (now France) Burial at Opequon Presbyterian Church Cemetery at Kernstown, Virginia

-------------------- Emigrated in 1710 on 2 of his own ships with wife Anna maria Du Bois and daughter Mary Hite: b 1709/10. Lived in Kingston, NY before moving to Frederick County, VA where he died in 1760.

Hans Josh Heydt is how his name is spelled in English documents.

Visit search.ancestroy.com/Browse/BookView.aspx?dbid=13197&pageno=4_332 to read the chapter on Prominant immigrants in Virginia. -------------------- The land which is Shenandoah County was first permanently settled about 1730 by George Bowman and others in a group led by Jost/Joist Hite (1685-1761). The town of Strasburg at the northern end of Massanutten Mountain was probably the first town to be settled. It was laid out by Peter Stauffer/Stover and was chartered by the Virginia Assembly in 1761.

http://www.ancestors-genealogy.com/coffmanpeach/virginia.shtml

Sources

   WikiTree profile Hite-431 created through the import of bowman Family Tree.ged on Jul 8, 2012 by Jerry Bowman. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Jerry and others. 
   Source: S-2057550951 Repository: #R-2139264563 Title: Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. Note: This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created. Page: Ancestry Family Trees Note: Data: Text: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=22265477&pid=500
   Repository: R-2139264563 Name: Ancestry.com Address: http://www.Ancestry.com Note: 
view all 37

Jost Hite's Timeline

1675
1675

Family info reports he immigrated from England. Some records show a John Hiatt immigrating from Germany. NEEDS INVESTIGATION.

1685
December 5, 1685
Bonfeld (within present Bad Rappenau), Kraichgau (Present Landkreis Heilbronn), Herzogtum Württemberg (Present Baden-Württemberg), Heiliges Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation (Present Germany)
December 6, 1685
Bonfeld, Neckar Valley (kraichgau), Wurttenburg
December 6, 1685
Bonfeld, Neckar Valley (K, Wurttenburg
1695
1695
Age 9
England, (Present UK)
1704
November 11, 1704
Age 18
Amsterdam, Holland (Present Noord-Holland), Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden (present The Netherlands)
1704
Age 18
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
1705
February 22, 1705
Age 19
Bonfeld, Heilbronn, Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany
1705
Age 19
Bonfeld, Heilbronn, Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany
1706
January 28, 1706
Age 20
Bonfeld, Germany