Joel's Top Matches
About Joel W. Bacon Moore, Judge
http://genealogytrails.com/ind/warrick/bios3.htm JUDGE J. W. B. MOORE Judge Moore was born near Waterloo, Seneca county, N. Y. , on the 5th day of November, 1801. He was an only child, and early left an orphan, his father having been lost at sea, leaving him and his mother in limited circumstances, but possessed of a small farm near Waterloo. The son worked on the farm in the spring and summer, and attended such schools as the county afforded in the autumn and winter. He early obtained a thorough knowledge of the theory and practice of book-keeping, which was of great advantnge to him later in life. When he was about eighteen years old he became very anxious to read law with his uncle, Joel W. Bacon, then a distinguished lawyer of Western New York, but his mother had, from some cause or other, imbibed an unreasonable prejudice against the profession, and she determined that he should not in any event become a lawyer; and, being a woman of more than ordinary firmness, she had her way. She afterwards induced him to apprentice himself, as was then the custom, to Dr. Wells, the leading physician and surgeon of that locality, with whom he remained some two years. His mother meantime marrying a second husband, and the profession of medicine being distasteful to him, he finally concluded to abandon it and come West. He had some difficulty in^obtaining his mother's consent, who always had great influence over him, and for whom he always retained the greatest affection and reverence. This was, however, at last obtained, and he started on horseback, with but a scant supply of money, and without any well defined notions where he should stop. His journey must have been inexpressibly tedious and lonesome. Shortly after he started he took the ague, with which he was afflicted at frequent intervals for some two years and more. The chill would come on frequently when he was in a wilderness, far from any habitation or human beings. At such times he would get down from his horse, unsaddle it and tie it to a limb, using the saddle for a pillow and the blanket for a covering. When sufficiently recovered he would mount and pursue his journey. He traveled until he arrived at Indianaplis, which had been recently laid out, and designed for the capital of the State. Here he found an uncle, Seth. Bacon, who owned a saw-mill, and who gave him employment in it until something better should offer. His uncle was very kind to him, which the Judge afterwards had ample opportunity of repaying with interest. The uncle, in his old days, lost his property, and became broken in health and energy, with a large family on his hands to support. The Judge, hearing of his condition, visited him, and brought him from the central part of this State, and, after providing him with the necessary supplies, placed him on a good farm, where he remained until his death. Folsomville now stands on a part of the farm. Afier working awhile in the mill, ns we have stated, he obtained a school, which he taught until he made the acquaintance of James Linton, of Charlestown, Clarke county, Indiana, where he afterwards moved. This gentleman was a merchant, and employed the Judge to sell goods and keep books. He went with Mr. Linton to Charlestown, where he remained several years. After remaining a while with Mr. Linton, he obtained employment of Mr. Austin, in the capacity of salesman and book-keeper. Soon after going to Charlestown he united himself with the old school Presbyterian church, in which faith he had been reared. Finally, he went into business with Mr. Shockly, as a partner, receiving a part of the profits for his services as manager, salesman and book-keeper. On the third day of December, 1827, he and Orra M. Shelby were married. She was the eldest daughter of Isaac Shelby, who was then, and who had been for some years, clerk of the Clark Circuit Court. Soon after his marriage he moved his family to Rockport, Spencer county, bringing with him a small stock of goods, but no capital except unlimited credit at Louisville, which was then the emporium of this section. Having remained in business at Rockport about a year, he sold his stock of goods, and bought of John Williams the farm upon which Henry Beeler, Esq. , now resides. He immediately moved to his farm, and was, in the course of years, elected Probate Judge of the county, which he held until elected clerk of the Warrick Circuit Court, receiving his certificate of qualifications, which was then required by law before he could be commissioned, from Judge Goodlet, father of N. M. Goodlet, Esq., of Evansville. In 1844 he was re-elected clerk and recorder for seven years, and it was universally conceded that he was the best clerk in Southern Indiana. In 1856 he was elected Judge of the Common Pleas District, composed of this and Vander-burgh counties, and served a term of four years. In 1861 when President Lincoln issued his first proclamation for 75,000 men, it created intense excitement in this locality. The President was pronounced as a tyrant and usurper, and the call was characterized as unconstitutional, and an outrage upon the South. Judge Moore took the side of his country, procured posters to be struck and put up, calling meetings all over the county, at which he appeared, justified the action of the President, and urged the young men to enlist, to maintain the integrity of the Union. In 1862 he, notwithstanding hisage, enlisted as a private in Capt. Pace's Company, ist Ihd. Cav., Governor Baker commanding, and went with his regiment to the Southwest, and participated in the battle of Frederickstown. He remained with his regiment nearly two years, but a soldier's life proved too much for his constitution, and he was compelled to accept a discharge, much against his wishes. He was a man of great firmness of will and energy of purpose in what he conceived to be right. When he moved to the farm we have mentioned, it, like almost all others, was incumbered with deadened timber, which had to be removed before it could be cultivated with any success or profit. It was then the universal custom to have whiskey at all log-rollings, barn-raisings, etc. He determined not to have whiskey on his farm, and so expressed himself. His neighbors remonstrated, and assured him that he would not be able to get his logs rolled, barns raised, or harvesting done without it. He persisted in his determination, and to the credit of the neighbors, be it said, not one refused to assist him. The good example he set was soon followed by all, and thus a pernicious, degrading custom was entirely abrogated. When he moved to this county he found no Presbyterian church, nor any Presbyterians ; but believing it to be his duty to unite himself with some one of the numerous families of the church of God, he chose the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he remained a consistent and acceptable member from about 1830 until the time of his death. In those early days preachers were few, and church houses still fewer. His house was often used as a preaching place and has ever been a welcome house to the itinerant : those moral heroes who worked out the way for the car of progress, and to whom we are so greatly indebted for our advanced positions, in respect to religion and intelligence. Thus lived and died an honest man, a sincere Christian, a kind husband and an indulgent father, of whom it may be said that " his last days were his best days." He left as his widow the wife of his early years, two daughters, Mrs. T. W. Hammond and Mrs. J. B. Ashley ; and two sons, Isaac S. , and Robert D. O. Moore ; several grandchildren, and a large circle of friends to mourn his loss. — From Boon-ville Enquirer.