Katherine Grymes (Jennings)
|Death:||Died in Virginia, United States|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Katherine Grymes
About Katherine Grymes (Jennings)
Katherine GRYMES, the mother-in-law of Robert TALIAFERRO, The Immigrant, was evidently the widow of Henry DEDMAN (or DEADMAN, the name is spelled both ways) who was granted 350 acres of land in Rappahannock River June 27, 1650. On November 18, 1653, Henry DEDMAN was granted 400 acres in Lancaster County "bounded with the land of Mr. James BAGNALL and with another tract now in the possession of the said DEADMAN; 150 acres by right of a patent granted him for 350 acres June 27, 1650, which is relinquished to make this good, and 250 acres for the transportation of 5 persons." [NOTE] Henry DEADMAN was alive on February 5, 1654/5 and deceased on June 6, 1655. [NOTE] After his death, his widow married the Rev. Charles GRYMES, born in Ingram, Kent, England, who graduated from Cambridge at the age of eigh- teen in 1631. He died about 1662/3 and his will was offered for probate by his widow, Katherine GRYMES. She was still living on August 26, 1678. Besides Katherine, the wife of Robert TALIAFERRO, other children of the marriage of Katherine and Henry DEADMAN were Ann, the wife of Edward HOYLE, and Mary DEADMAN
Katherine was born about 1620 in England or in Virginia. Her presence in VA has not been documented prior to 1637.
It is most likely that Katherine was from a gentry family in England--one that was well-known in the Colonies. Through her marriage to William Debnam, Katherine became the ancestor of many who would later marry into the families of Ball, Bankhead, Byrd, Carter, Fitzhugh, Grymes, Lee, Lewis, Lightfoot, Mann, Marshall, Nelwon, Peyton, Randolph, Smith, Stribling, Taylor, Warner, Washington, and Wormeley.
"I have her born c.1604 in Ripon, North Yorkshire, England; christened March 18, 1610 in St Mary, Aldermary, London, England died 1673 in Grymseby, Gloucester, Virginia, USA and the daughter of Peter Jennings Jr. and Anne Baldwin."
- 1604 Birth of Katherine in Ripon, North Yorkshire, England
- March 18, 1610 Katherine christened in St Mary, Aldermary, London, England
- 1625 Marriage of Katherine Grymes to William Dedman in Virginia
- 1626 Birth of Katherine Grymes (Debnam) in Ightham, Kent, England
- March 29, 1629 Birth of Mary Smith in Burnley Parish, Lancashire, England
- 1630 Birth of Anne Debman
- 1637 Birth of William Debman
- 1658 Marriage of Katherine to Rev Charles Grymes in Ightham, Kent, England
- 1660 Birth of Colonel John Grymes, of Grimesby in Middlesex, Virginia
- 1673 Death of Katherine at Grymseby, Gloucester, Virginia
Katherine Grymes's Timeline
Ingtham, Kent, England
March 29, 1629
Burnley Parish, Lancashire, England
Virginia, United States