Matching family tree profiles for Katherine Spencer
view all 37
About Katherine Spencer (Kitson)
- Katherine Kitson1
- F, #86742, b. circa 1525, d. before 8 November 1586
- Father Sir Thomas Kitson1,2 b. c 1485, d. 11 Sep 1540
- Mother Margaret Donington1 b. 1499, d. 20 Dec 1560
- Katherine Kitson was born circa 1525 at of Hengrave, Suffolk, England.1 She married John Spencer, son of William Spencer and Susanna Knightley, circa 1547 at of Hengrave, Suffolk, England.1 Katherine Kitson died before 8 November 1586.1
- Family John Spencer b. c 1522, d. 8 Nov 1586
- Anne Spencer1 d. 22 Sep 1618
- Mary Spencer+1 b. c 1550, d. 1590
- Elizabeth Spencer+3 b. c 1553
- 1.[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, Family History Archives, SLC.
- 2.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. III, p. 390-1.
- 3.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. VI, p. 629-630.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2887.htm#i86742
- Katherine Kitson1
- F, #105346
- Last Edited=7 Feb 2011
- Katherine Kitson was the daughter of Sir Thomas Kitson.2 She married Sir John Spencer, son of Sir William Spencer and Susan Knightley.3
- Children of Katherine Kitson and Sir John Spencer
- 1.Sir John Spencer+3 d. 9 Jan 1599/0
- 2.Sir William Spencer+3 d. 18 Dec 1609
- 3.Sir Richard Spencer3
- 4.Elizabeth Spencer2
- 5.Anne Spencer+3 d. 22 Sep 1618
- 6.Katherine Spencer+3 d. 1639
- 7.Alice Spencer+1 b. c 1556, d. 23 Jan 1637
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 272. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume VI, page 629.
- 3.[S9] Charles Kidd and David Williamson, editor, DeBretts Peerage and Baronetage (London, U.K.: DeBrett's Peerage, 1999), volume 2, page 1870. Hereinafter cited as DeBretts Peerage, 1999.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p10535.htm#i105346
- Catherine KYTSON
- Born: ABT 1525, Hengrave, Suffolk, England
- Died: BEF 8 Nov 1586
- Buried: Brington, Northamptonshire, England
- Father: Thomas KYTSON (Sir Knight)
- Mother: Margaret DONNINGTON (C. Bath)
- Married: John SPENCER of Wormleighton (Sir) 1545, Hengrave, Suffolk, England
- 1. Anne SPENCER (B. Mounteagle/B. Compton/C. Dorset)
- 2. Catherine SPENCER
- 3. Elizabeth SPENCER (B. Hundson /B. Eure of Witton)
- 4. Alice SPENCER (C. Derby)
- 5. John SPENCER of Wormleighton (Sir)
- 6. Mary SPENCER
- 7. Margaret SPENCER
- 8. Thomas SPENCER
- 9. William SPENCER of Yarnton (Sir)
- 10. Richard SPENCER
- 11. Edward SPENCER
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/KYTSON.htm#Catherine KYTSON1
- SPENCER, Sir John (1524-86), of Althorp, Northants. and Wormleighton, Warws.
- Family and Education
- b. 1524, o.s. of Sir William Spencer of Althorp and Wormleighton by Susan, da. of Sir Richard Knightley of Fawsley, Northants. educ. ?M. Temple. m. by Oct. 1545 Catherine, da. of Sir Thomas Kitson of London and Hengrave, Suff., 5s. inc. John†, Richard† and William† 6da. suc. fa. 22 June 1532. Kntd. 2 Oct. 1553.1
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/spencer-sir-john-1524-86
- Our New England ancestors and their descendants, 1620-1900: historical ... By Henry Whittemore
- Collins states further: This family (the Spencers) claim a descent from the ancient Baronial family of De Spenser, of whom Robert de Spenser came over with the Conqueror and was, as his name imports, steward to that monarch. At the time of the Domesday Book he had four lordships in Warwickshire, one in Gloucestershire, fifteen in Lincolnshire and seventeen in Leicestershire. .... etc.
- Sir John Spencer, eldest son of John, was denominated of Smithfield. On Sept. 3, 1506, he purchased the great lordship of Wormleighton, in co. Warwick. He died April 14, 1522. He married Isabel, daughter and co-heir of Walter Gaunt, Esq., of Snellerfield in Warwickshire, who had issue,
- Sir William Spenser, who received the honor of Knighthood A. D. 1529, and in 23 and 24 Henry VIII, was Sheriff of Northamptonshire. He died 1532. He married Susan __, and had
- Sir John Spenser, who was Sheriff of Northamptonshire in 5 Edward VI, and elected one of the Knights of the shire in parliament for that county in the 1st Queen Mary. He died Nov. 8, 1586, having married Katharine, daughter of Sir Thomas Kitson, and had William.
- Sir William Spenser, third son of Sir John, received the honor of Knighthood from Queen Elizabeth, 1592, and died Dec. 1609. By his wife Margaret, daughter of Francis Bowyer, he had two sons, Thomas the eldest, and five daughters. ....
- The Visitation of the county of Warwick in the year 1619. Taken by William Camden, Clarenceaux king of arms (1877) Vol. 12
- Spencer - CHART Pg.282-285
- Willm's Spencer de Wormleighto' ob 1532. = Susanna fil. Ric'i Knightley de Fanesley militis.; ch: Anna (m. _ Goodwin), Dorothea (m. Tho. Spencer), Joh'es (m. Katherina Kitson), Jane (m. Ric'i Bridges), Isabella (m. Johes Cotton), Maria (m. Tho. Bowes) Spencer.
- Joh's Spencer de Elthorp in Comitat. Northamp. miles. = Katherina fil. Tho. Kitson de Comitat. Suff. militis.; ch: Alicia (m. Ferdinan. Comitis Darbiae & Tho. Egerton), Mary (m. Edw. Aston), Joh'es (m. Margareta Catlin), Katherina (m. Tho. Leigh), Elizab. (m. Georgij Carye), Margareta (m. Egidij Alington & Edw. Elrington), Anna (m. Will'i Monteagle & Henrici Compton & Rob'ti Dorset). Willi'm (m. Margareta Bowier), Ricus (m. Elinora Brokett), Thomas (m. Maria' Cheeke) Spencer.
- Collins's peerage of England; genealogical, biographical, and historical (1812)
- Sir William Spencer received the honour of knighthood, A. D. 1529; and in 23 and 24 Henry VII. was sheriff of Northamptonshire. His last will bears date June 17th, 1532, whereby he bequeaths his body to be buried at Brington, in such manner as his executors shall think fit; orders his father's will to be complied with in every article, not then performed: appoints Dame Susan, his wife, Sir Nicholas Strelley, Knight; Anthony Cope, Esq.; Walter Smith, Esq.; and two others, his executors; and that they take care of John, his only son, then very young; .... etc.
- Over the said tomb, on a tablet under an arch, is likewise an inscription, whence it appears that he died 1532, having married Susan, daughter of Sir Richard Knightley, of Fawsley in Northamptonshire, Knight, and had issue, first, Sir John, only son; second, Isabel, marrried to Sir John Cotton, of Lanwade in Cam-
- bridgeshire, Knight; third, Jane, wife of Sir Richard Brugis, of Shefford in Berkshire, Knight; fourth, Dorothy, marrried to Thomas Spencer, of Everdon in Northamptonshire, Esq.; fifth, Anne, wife of Sir John Goodwin, of Winchendon in Northamptonshire, Knight, which Anne died without issue; sixth Mary, wife of Thomas Boles, of Walington in Hertfordshire, Esq.
- Sir John Spencer, the only son, .... etc.
- Pg. 387
- He died November 8th, 1586, having married Katherine daughter of Sir Thomas Kitson, of Hengrave in Suffolk, Knight, by whom he had issue; first Sir John Spencer, Knight; second, Thomas Spencer, of Claredon in Warwickshire, Esq.; third, Sir William Spencer, of Yarnton, com. oxford, Knight, fourth, Richard Spencer, of Offley in Hertfordshire, Esq.; fifth, Edward Spencer, who died without issue; sixth, Margaret married to Giles Allington of Horseheath in Cambridgeshire, Esq. and afterwards to Edward Eldrington, Esq.; seventh, Elizabeth married to George Lord Hunsdon; eighth, Katherine, wife of Sir Thomas Leigh, of Stoneley in Warwickshire, Knight; ninth, Mary married to Sir Edward Aston of Tixhall in Staffordshire, Knight; tenth, Anne, wife of William Lord Monteagle who had no issue by her; and afterwards married to Henry Lord Compton; and lastly to Robert Sackville, son and heir of Thomas Lord Buckhurst, lord treasurer; eleventh, Alice, married to Ferdinando, Earl of Derby, and then to Sir Thomas Egerton, Knight, lord keeper of the great seal.
- John George Vanderbilt Henry Spencer-Churchill, 11th Duke of Marlborough, DL, JP (born 13 April 1926), is the son of Lt.-Col. John Spencer-Churchill, 10th Duke of Marlborough and his wife, Hon. Alexandra Mary Hilda Cadogan. He is also a relation .... etc.
- Patrilineal descent
- Raoul de Tancarville .... etc.
- Sir John Spencer, Kt. of Snitterfield & Althorp, (1447-1522. He bought Wormleighton, co. Warwick, 1506, and Althorp, co. Northampton, 1508. He was High Sheriff of Northamptonshire 1511, and was knighted in or after 1519. At this point, the family became hereditary armigers.
- Sir William Spencer, Kt. of Wormleighton & Althorp, (1483-1532), Sheriff of Northamptonshire; married Susan, daughter of Sir Richard Knightley, of Fawsley, Northamptonshire
- Sir John Spencer, Kt. of Wormleighton & Althorp, (1517 [1524 per Cracroft]-1586) MP for Northampton, Sheriff and sometime Deputy Lieutenant of Northamptonshire; married Katherine Kitson (bur. at Great Brington, co. Northampton), 1st dau. of Sir Thomas Kitson, of Hengrave, co. Suffolk, Sheriff of London 1533, by his wife Margaret Donnington, later Countess of Bath, only child and hrss. of John Donnington, of Stoke Newington, co. Middlesex, and Donnington, co. York. Of their five sons, three became MPs, and of their six daughters, three married peers.
- Sir John Spencer, Kt. of Wormleighton & Althorp, MP (1550-1599) married Mary, daughter of Sir Robert Catlyn. It was this Sir John Spencer who assumed the arms of the medieval Despencer family.
- Robert Spencer, 1st Baron Spencer .... etc.
view all 17
Katherine Spencer's Timeline
May 30, 1515
Cople, Bedfordshire, England
hengrave, suffolk, england
Wormleighton, Warwickshire, England
Hengrave, , Suffolk, England
Hengrave, , Suffolk, England
June 29, 1552
Offley, , Hertfordshire, England