Matching family tree profiles for Katherine Walker
About Katherine Walker
Email from D. M. Kenyon Feb 27, 2012
- John Walker did not marry Catherine Hutchinson as commonly broadcast on Ancestry.com.
- His will indicates that his wife's name was "Katherine", but no maiden name is given.
- The Catherine Hutchinson that died in 1643 was the young, unmarried, childless teenage daughter of Anne Hutchinson of Puritan fame.
- Catherine was killed with her mother in an indian attack in 1643.
- John Walker's wife is currently a historical mystery.
- He registers at the church in Roxbury in 1633 or 1634 as being married to a Katherine.
- Catherine Hutchinson would have been five years old at that time.
- (Katherine couldn't have been born in 1629 as some indicate as she would have only been 14 at the time of her death making it rather a challenge to produce as many children as indicated!/PScoggin)
- Name: Katherine (WALKER) , Immigrant
- Sex: F
- ALIA: Catherine /(Walker)/
- Birth: 1585-1613 in ENG
- Death: 1654 in RI
- Reference Number: WALK124
- Note: WALKER, Sarah ( — ) (Wife): Sarah's aunt was Ann (Marbury) Hutchinson, the "heretic" expelled from the colony. James followed her to the banks of the Hudson, near what is now Scarsdale, Westchester, and was building a house for her when he was warned by the Indians to desist. Later Ann and most of her children were murdered by Indians. I suspect that the Hutchinson River in that neighborhood is named for her. [RAD]
Subject: Re: Sands Ancestry Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 07:59:53 -0700 From: Robert Givens <firstname.lastname@example.org> Organization: Pacific Bell Internet Services To: Rod Dav4is <email@example.com> References: 1 , 2
Rod - I am sorry about not getting back to you directly. I am a teacher and the school year has just begun and things are extremely busy right now. My grandmother was a Sands and therefore I have worked over the years quite a bit on that particular line.
The Sarah Walker thing is an interesting problem. I for one bought into the Hutchinson connection over 20 years ago and compiled by hand over 100 pedigree charts detailing that line only to find there is not factual proof that Sarah's mother, Katharine, was a Hutchinson. Now I state that fairly firmly but if someone could show me the connection I would gladly change my stance. But for now that is where I am.
I have quite a bit of material, binders in fact, on the Sands and so when you say, what do you know about Sarah Walker, that scares me as it would take quite a while to go through all my materials.
This is what I know:
Sarah Walker was born about 1626 (based on her marriage) in England. She was the eldest of 3 known children. She had a younger sister, Mary, who married William Earle, and another sister, Dorcus, who was buried 12 Apr 1640 in Portsmouth, RI (I presume as a baby.) Sarah married in 1645 to Capt. James Sands (Sandys) and settled on Block Island as original white settlers. Sarah was the island's midwife and thus was an important lady in the island's development.
As to her ancestry, Austin in his Rhode Island Genealogical Dictionary, under Walker gives a good report on this family. I also found an excellent study of this family in the June 1985 issue of Rhode Island Roots magazine by a Marjorie W. Schunke. Let me quote from her first couple of paragraphs: "John Walker was a freeman of Boston 14 May 1634. It has been widely claimed that he married Katherine Hutchinson, dua. of Edward Hutchinson, who was brother of William Hutchinson who married Anne Marbury. Primary evidence supporting this claim has not been found, however, and the late Clarence Almon Torrey in his "Marriages before 1700 first entered the marriage and then crossed it out with a "No". Unfortunately his sources of information, though several are listed beside the entery in the manuscript at NEHGS, failed to disclose definite evidence one way or the other.
- The fact that this Edward Hutchinson was 20 years younger than his brother, William, having been baptized at Alford, Lincolnshire, 20 Dec 1607, makes it unlikely that he would have been father of a daughter old enough to be Katherine Walker (New York Genealogical and Biographical Record 45:: 166).
- The idea of this Hutchinson - Walker marriage very probably arose in a misinterpretation of another marriage: Hannah Hutchinson, dau of Edward Hutchinson and grandau of William and Anne, born 16 May 1658, married Peter Walker of Taunton. Hannah is named as sister in the will of Edward Hutchinson, dated 21 May 1692, as "my beloved sister Hanah Walker wife of my Brother-in-law Mr. Peter Walker of Taunton in New England," and he named Peter Walker as one of the executors of his will (Suffolk Co. Probate file 1951)."
- What kind of a relationship is there with Anne Hutchinson? Well all of these people, the Hutchinsons, Walkers, Sands, and others were disaffected Puritans who fled from Massachusetts so they wouldn't be persecuted. They stuck together and must have been good friends, but, alas, there is no real evidence that there was a family tie.
- Marriage 1 John WALKER , of Boston & Rhode Is.,
- born: ABT. 1599 in ENG
- Married: BEF. 1625 in v Portsmouth, Newport, RI
- 1. Sarah WALKER , Immigrant b: ABT. 1625 in Hingham, NFK, ENG
- Katherine Hutchinson--likely Not the Katherine who married John Walker.
- Most pedigrees display the following information as a basis of data for Katherine.
- birth between 1609 and 2/7/1629 (why is 1609 shown and locked?) in Alford, Lincoln, England, UK
- this link [http://www.geni.com/people/William-Hutchinson/6000000005741060845] is from Katherine
s fathers profile William Hutchinson. Specifically from the about section of Williams profile-about two thirds down-here we find Katherine
s birth date in bold: 2/7/1629/30
- parents: William Hutchinson Anne Marbury
- marriage to: John Walker- c1638 in Roxbury, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA
- death 8/20/1643 in Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, USA
- buried 1643 (would have been 14 y/o/ps)
- Father: William Hutchinson b: 14 AUG 1586 in Alford, Lincolnshire, England and
- b: 1591 in Alford, Lincolnshire, England
- Mother: Anne Marbury
- Married: John Walker b: 1604
- Sarah Walker
- Mary Walker b: 1635
- An Extended Family Updated: 2011-07-2 [attempted to connect with this link and got this message: Database geolarson2 doesn't exist or has not been configured/PScoggin 8/12/13]
Katherine Walker's Timeline
January 20, 1604
St. Nicholas Cole Abbey, London, Middlesex, England
February 7, 1609
Alford, Lincolnshire, England
City of London, Middlesex, England
Portsmouth, Aquidneck Island, Colony of Rhode Island