Lacy's Top Matches
About Lacy Duet Dial, Sr.
Birth: May 22, 1905 Pembroke Robeson County North Carolina, USA
Death: May 16, 1948 Lumberton Robeson County North Carolina, USA
Lacy, Sr. was the youngest child of John and Polly Deese Dial. He married Lillie Mae Emanuel.
The following was taken from the May 17, 1948 edition of THE ROBESONIAN:
Lacy D. Dial, 43, of Pembroke, R. 1, died at Baker hospital last night at 11:20 of injuries sustained when the Ford pick-up truck in which he was riding alone got out of control and turned over several times on Highway 74, six miles west of Lumberton Friday about noon.
This was the second fatal highway accident in Robeson county during the weekend. Herbert E. Whit of Charlotte having been fatally injured in a collision between his car and a truck on Highway 301 shortly after midnight Friday.
Dial had his neck broken in the accident on Route 74. Conscious during part of the two days that he lived, he told relatives that the truck got out of control, running off the pavement, and that he was unable to right it before it turned over.
Funeral services will be conducted from Harper's Ferry Baptist church Tuesday at 4 p.m. by Rev. W. L. Jacobs and Rev. T. M. Swett. Interment will be in the church cemetery.
Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Lillie Mae Emanuel Dial; three children, Lacy, Jr. and two small daughters; and three brothers, J. W. Dial of Pembroke, W. B. and R. A. Dial of Rowland, R. 1.
- **NOTE: In 1926, he graduated from what is presently known as the University of North Carolina at Pembroke. In July 2007, the Heritage Walk was dedicated to serve as a permanent monument to all of the university's graduates from 1905 to 1954. Lacy was honored by having his name engraved on a brick in the Heritage Walk walkway in front of Old Main, the oldest building on the campus.
- John Dial (1865 - 1918)
- Polly Deese Dial (1874 - 1933)
- Lillie Mae Emanuel Dial (1908 - 1986)
- Lacy D. Dial (1936 - 1994)*
- Drenna Jean Dial Oxendine (1940 - 1977)*
let each loss that makes earth dreary make the home of Heaven more dear
Burial: Harpers Ferry Church Cemetery Robeson County North Carolina, USA
Created by: melanie